Virginia GOP to require loyalty oath from primary voters

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/12/29/virginia-gop-requires-loyalty-oath-from-primary-voters/

The Virginia Republican Party is planning to force voters who wish to participate in the March 6 primary to sign a loyalty oath.

The Virginia State Board of Elections has given the party permission to go ahead with their plans to make primary voters pledge their support to the eventual nominee no matter who it is.

“The code of Virginia allows for political parties to require individuals who wish to participate in presidential primaries to sign a pledge that he or she will support the party’s candidate in the general election,” Board of Elections Deputy Director Justin Riemer told NBC Washington.

According to the Richmond Times-Dispatch, voters will be required to sign a document that reads: “I, the undersigned, pledge that I intend to support the nominee of the Republican Party for president.”

Thoughts USMB?

I cannot imagine this would be legally binding.

I think this kind of think is pointless. Most people who participate in Primaries are die hard partisans. And if they are such, they're already going to toe the line for whomever the nominee is anyway, or just not vote at all. Anyone who isn't a die hard partisan but decides they want to vote in the Primary anyway will simply say "Sure, whatever you say" and vote however they want in the General.

So all in all, it's mostly silly. Though I think it's also a bit pathetic. It just goes to show what's most important to these people. Party over all else.

I think this kind of think is pointless. Most people who participate in Primaries are die hard partisans. And if they are such, they're already going to toe the line for whomever the nominee is anyway, or just not vote at all. Anyone who isn't a die hard partisan but decides they want to vote in the Primary anyway will simply say "Sure, whatever you say" and vote however they want in the General.

So all in all, it's mostly silly. Though I think it's also a bit pathetic. It just goes to show what's most important to these people. Party over all else.

Horse puckey

Plenty of primary voters are not "die hard partisans"... the primary is for helping choose the nominees... I would be an independent, but I do register REP to be able to vote in the primary for just that reason... and I have voted for both DEMs and REPs for various offices up for election

There is no such requirement in the Commonwealth, assbreath. Don't believe everything you read on the Internets, you ignorant inbred.

I think that is bad form. Your Vote is Your Property. Not the Party's, not the States. It is a bad idea.

Didn't we hear this same crap during the 2010 elections.?

good grief

It looks like some kind of effort to stop democrats from sabotaging the republican primary.

I guess the GOP figured that since they stayed loyal to the pledge they signed for Grover Norquist, they could ask the same of the voters.

This is proof that the GOP is nervous about their current candidates going up against Obama.

I guess the GOP figured that since they stayed loyal to the pledge they signed for Grover Norquist, they could ask the same of the voters.

This is proof that the GOP is nervous about their current candidates going up against Obama.

There is no such requirement in the Commonwealth.
Thanks for swallowing however.

There is no such requirement in the Commonwealth.
Thanks for swallowing however.

You should probably reread the article in the OP.

The Virginia Republican Party is planning to force voters who wish to participate in the March 6 primary to sign a loyalty oath.

The Virginia State Board of Elections has given the party permission to go ahead with their plans to make primary voters pledge their support to the eventual nominee no matter who it is.

It's an attempt to prevent Dem shenanigans in VA's open primary.

Of course, it won't work. People who are willing to lie and claim they're Republicans are willing to break an oath.

There is no such requirement in the Commonwealth, assbreath. Don't believe everything you read on the Internets, you ignorant inbred.

Hey, assbreath, swallow this. There will indeed be such a requirement.

Ah, no there isn't - assclown.

And I don't participate in the primaries anyhow.

I will vote for the nominee - Romney - in the general election.

Tighten up that tinfoil hat boy

No conspiracy theory here.

Ah, no there isn't - assclown.

Did you even look? There is now, you assclown. You'd know that if you bothered to read the link I posted.

And I don't participate in the primaries anyhow.

How is that relevant, other than to suggest that you don't know what you're talking about anyway?

I will vote for the nominee - Romney - in the general election.

Good for you, little sheep. I might vote for Romney. But I've come to more heavily lean toward Buddy Roemer. I'll cast my vote regardless of who gets nominated by what party.

Tighten up that tinfoil hat boy

No conspiracy theory here.

And who ever said there was one? :cuckoo: You're delusional.

my gawd bert, this is from Raw story..

Or look at the Washington Post link:

Virginia Republicans to require loyalty oath for primary voters - Virginia Politics - The Washington Post

The pledge has no legal weight — voters are free to sign the form and then disregard it if they choose — but it is meant to discourage mischief-making by non-Republicans. Virginians do not register to vote by party, making it possible for Democrats and independents to show up and vote in the Republican contest.

Not everyone in the GOP is on board with the idea. Del. Bob Marshall (R-Prince William) said in a press release Thursday that he was opposed to the pledge.

“Virginia’s Republican leadership wants to mandate a loyalty oath when Virginia’s Republican officials are in court fighting the Obamacare mandate?” Marshall said. “This sends the wrong message.”

Forum List

Back