Violent crime drops for the third straight year

How often do people actually pull a gun and prevent a crime? I really think that is fairly rare. Probably more often, either the gun remains unused, or else the gun owners are in rival gangs and someone gets killed.

The high end estimate is 3 million times a year. The FBI's conservative stats are about half that.

How interesting. I had no idea it would be such a large number.

That doesn't even take into account the fact that concealed-carry laws have the effect of lowering violent crime rates where they're passed, because criminals begin choosing not to commit crimes where there's a possibility of the victim being armed. They either skip it, or move over to crimes where the victim isn't physically present, like property crime.

Many of the most violent citizens left the country.
For some reason violent deaths of regular citizens have escalated dramatically.

In Afghanistan, Iraq and Pakistan.

5. The drug market has changed
The drug trade, which normally accounts for a high proportion of arrests and violent crimes, has changed in recent years, according to sociology professor Richard Gendron, quoted in The Washington Times. Crack cocaine use has declined, while drug dealers have reportedly consolidated markets, "leading to less violence as a result of 'turf' disputes."

I've been saying this for years. That and there are some other issues involving inner city crime that have led to somewhat of a decline even in Maryland. Many state and local governments have been taking leads in trying to improve the quality of old inner city housing in order to see drops in the amount of inner city children who suffer from lead paint poisoning.

The amount of young children who suffer from lead paint poisoning in Baltimore alone has droped considerably.
Officials focus on gaps in lead paint law - Baltimore Sun

Alot of the focus of inner city mayor's has changed moreso to improving infrastructure and the quality of life in most areas. Policing does also have alot to do with it in some cities but not others, as some cities have actually had to still cut funding or just had enough money from the federal stimulus to save police jobs. Regardless it's more of a victory for local and state governments then Obama or Bush.

Why is crime falling during a recession? 5 theories - The Week

1. A better-funded, more innovative police force
Large urban areas such as New York and Los Angeles have successfully experimented with new ways of policing crime in recent years, says Ashby Jones at The Wall Street Journal, leading to improved tactics nationwide. That and the $4 billion dedicated to law enforcement in the 2009 stimulus package mean the police are better-funded and smarter than ever before. However, as the recession drags on, state police budgets may be slashed.

As you said theories thats all they are. Heres one you failed to post GUN SALES SKYROCKET when obama gets eleted. crime goes down.

:clap2:

This. The more the 2nd Amendment continues to be protected, the safer we'll be....

The high end estimate is 3 million times a year. The FBI's conservative stats are about half that.

If I remember correctly (I really should look up the damn report again) less than 2% of the time the defensive weapon is actually fired and within that percentage less than 1/8th of 1% results in the criminal being killed.
I almost forgot. There has been a growing trend over the last few years where greater numbers of women are arming themselves and getting concealed carry permits plus learning how to use and become proficient with their firearm(s).

it's not the amount of times a weapon is actually used defensively, it's the idea that a person may be armed is what dissuades a criminal....

If I remember correctly (I really should look up the damn report again) less than 2% of the time the defensive weapon is actually fired and within that percentage less than 1/8th of 1% results in the criminal being killed.
I almost forgot. There has been a growing trend over the last few years where greater numbers of women are arming themselves and getting concealed carry permits plus learning how to use and become proficient with their firearm(s).

it's not the amount of times a weapon is actually used defensively, it's the idea that a person may be armed is what dissuades a criminal....

Thank you for stating my implied observation.

Liberals must be more violent. Now their in power, they are more calmed down. Plus they are in charge of public legal stealing, so the other kind is less necessary.

15,000 + murders is nothing to rejoice though it's good news they are down 10%.

Hope and change for the minority community has a lot to do with it.

And every year we have big rallies and remberances for those that died of violent crime in America. Just like those that died in 911?

Forum List

Back