Violent crime drops for the third straight year

Praise be his holy name

obama_halo.jpg

obama_halo.jpg

Why is crime falling during a recession? 5 theories - The Week

1. A better-funded, more innovative police force
Large urban areas such as New York and Los Angeles have successfully experimented with new ways of policing crime in recent years, says Ashby Jones at The Wall Street Journal, leading to improved tactics nationwide. That and the $4 billion dedicated to law enforcement in the 2009 stimulus package mean the police are better-funded and smarter than ever before. However, as the recession drags on, state police budgets may be slashed.

2. It's not would-be criminals losing their jobs
The bulk of violent and serious crimes are committed by young, uneducated men, says University of Colorado sociology professor Tim Wadsworth, quoted in Yahoo News. But this spike in unemployment is mainly affecting another demographic. "Forty-year-old non-offenders who get laid off are unlikely to start robbing 7-11s," he says.

3. Government hand-outs
Even though some conservative lawmakers believe welfare programs promote laziness, they may also be a factor in the relatively low crime rate. "Government safety nets" like the extension in unemployment benefits and a boom in food stamp programs help to "keep despair down and crime rates low," says Patrik Jonsson at The Christian Science Monitor.

4. No demand for black market goods
The low inflation rate means that consumer goods such as electronics have stayed at comparatively affordable prices. This means a thriving "black market in stolen goods" has failed to materialize, says criminologist Richard Rosenfeld, quoted in The Christian Science Monitor. What's the point in stealing things if you can't sell them on?

5. The drug market has changed
The drug trade, which normally accounts for a high proportion of arrests and violent crimes, has changed in recent years, according to sociology professor Richard Gendron, quoted in The Washington Times. Crack cocaine use has declined, while drug dealers have reportedly consolidated markets, "leading to less violence as a result of 'turf' disputes."

Large urban areas such as New York and Los Angeles have successfully experimented with new ways of policing crime in recent years, says Ashby Jones at The Wall Street Journal, leading to improved tactics nationwide. That and the $4 billion dedicated to law enforcement in the 2009 stimulus package mean the police are better-funded and smarter than ever before. However, as the recession drags on, state police budgets may be slashed.

As you said theories thats all they are. Heres one you failed to post GUN SALES SKYROCKET when obama gets eleted. crime goes down.

Well, this is great news! Has there been stronger policing? Stronger sentencing? A spiritual revival? Demographic shift? Economic shift?

Has anyone analyzed these statistics in more depth?

Most of the experts believe that the new policing techniques of concentrating police in high crime areas is responsible. The theory seems right to me, but I haven't looked at the numbers closely enough to have any opinion about it myself.

Well, this is great news! Has there been stronger policing? Stronger sentencing? A spiritual revival? Demographic shift? Economic shift?

Has anyone analyzed these statistics in more depth?

Most of the experts believe that the new policing techniques of concentrating police in high crime areas is responsible. The theory seems right to me, but I haven't looked at the numbers closely enough to have any opinion about it myself.

Actually I don't think it's what the government has done directly. What it did do was indirectly. People bought guns and became self sufficant and could be able to defend themself.

As you said theories thats all they are. Heres one you failed to post GUN SALES SKYROCKET when obama gets eleted. crime goes down.

How often do people actually pull a gun and prevent a crime? I really think that is fairly rare. Probably more often, either the gun remains unused, or else the gun owners are in rival gangs and someone gets killed.

How often do people actually pull a gun and prevent a crime? I really think that is fairly rare. Probably more often, either the gun remains unused, or else the gun owners are in rival gangs and someone gets killed.

The high end estimate is 3 million times a year. The FBI's conservative stats are about half that.

Good to hear...the trend has been going on for decades

Shows our society is not a degraded as so many claim

And yet you lefties all claimed that with the last 3 years of record gun sales every year crime would skyrocket. That private citizens with weapons and the right to carry them would turn their States into the wild west. Just dial up some of the anti gun groups and listen to them tell you that increased sales and States passing laws for open and concealed carry all lead to MORE crime.

The high end estimate is 3 million times a year. The FBI's conservative stats are about half that.

How interesting. I had no idea it would be such a large number.

How interesting. I had no idea it would be such a large number.

If I remember correctly (I really should look up the damn report again) less than 2% of the time the defensive weapon is actually fired and within that percentage less than 1/8th of 1% results in the criminal being killed.
I almost forgot. There has been a growing trend over the last few years where greater numbers of women are arming themselves and getting concealed carry permits plus learning how to use and become proficient with their firearm(s).

Last edited:

Two things I must note
1. Criminals will go after the easest target the fewer people with guns you will make the job of a criminal easier

2. Gang members are not gun owners, they are gun holders. A gun owner would be the who bought and paid for the gun doubtfuly a gang member could get a permit to buy a gun.

Forum List

Back