Violence in City Schools

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
In Philadelphia, schools are no sanctuary.

By June, the district's total of violent incidents had grown to 4,541. That means on an average day 25 students, teachers, or other staff members were beaten, robbed, sexually assaulted, or victims of other violent crimes.

That doesn't even include thousands more who are extorted, threatened, or bullied in a school year.

And those are just the incidents that are reported; teachers, students, and administrators interviewed by The Inquirer during a yearlong investigation say many are not. During the 2009-10 school year alone, 183 cases came to the district's attention only after the city police made arrests.

Violence in Philadelphia schools is more than the sheer numbers. The specter of violence traumatizes students and teachers, and stifles learning.

Climate of Violence Stifles City Schools | Philadelphia Inquirer | 03/27/2011

Let's review the current discussion of school reform.

1. Pay teachers more
2. Get rid of tenure
3. Abolish unions
4. Merit pay
5. Healthier school lunches
6. Vouchers
7. Charter schools
8. IPADS

What am I missing?

The writing is on the frickin wall. You cannot "fix" schools while ignoring that many children are afraid. How do we "fix" that?

The writing is on the frickin wall. You cannot "fix" schools while ignoring that many children are afraid. How do we "fix" that?
Let the beatings commence.

Giving students I-Pads and other computers is a really bad idea because all the kid has to do is forget the laptop at home and then what's the school gonna' do? Give him another one? Those kids are gonna' sell those computers and say they lost em or they got stolen.

"But it's a way to get the newest technology directly into the students hands plus we'll save on books!"

Lies.

Last edited:
How about we kick the violent kids out of the schools?

That seems simple enough.

Zero tolerance. Public Education needs to be viewed are a privledge, not a right.

I believe in most state constitutions, it is a right. That's one problem. The second problem is our juvenile justice system has no place to put them, so they "sentence" them to attend school. Thirdly, and most disturbing, is that no one wants to acknowledge it.

When I read about all the new ideas legislating "bullying" I get incensed. Kids getting teased sucks. But you know what really sucks? Getting raped or knifed in a school locker room. We now have a federal dept. called "stopthebullying.org". How about "stopthebullshit.org"? :evil:

Permissive parenting; permissive discipline policies; and a juvenile justice system that doesn't want to deal with anything short of murder ain't working. Time to try something different.

In Philadelphia, schools are no sanctuary.

By June, the district's total of violent incidents had grown to 4,541. That means on an average day 25 students, teachers, or other staff members were beaten, robbed, sexually assaulted, or victims of other violent crimes.

That doesn't even include thousands more who are extorted, threatened, or bullied in a school year.

And those are just the incidents that are reported; teachers, students, and administrators interviewed by The Inquirer during a yearlong investigation say many are not. During the 2009-10 school year alone, 183 cases came to the district's attention only after the city police made arrests.

Violence in Philadelphia schools is more than the sheer numbers. The specter of violence traumatizes students and teachers, and stifles learning.

Climate of Violence Stifles City Schools | Philadelphia Inquirer | 03/27/2011

Let's review the current discussion of school reform.

1. Pay teachers more
2. Get rid of tenure
3. Abolish unions
4. Merit pay
5. Healthier school lunches
6. Vouchers
7. Charter schools
8. IPADS

What am I missing?

This is not a new problem. The only way to fix the problem is to expel offenders from the system and force the parents to home school their own little criminals. Who knows...some of the parents might learn something along with their brats.

Or split the schools up into non offender schools and criminal schools. I am more then happy to have them offend each other.

Sad to say the only way to nurture children in a school environment if they are somehow subjected to these little criminals is to put them in private schools...where that kind of shit is not tolerated.

Last edited:
It's the end result of liberalism.

You as a parent may not punish your child or risk having them taken away. So you kid grows know that there is no punish for anything they do. So why not do what you want? and call it expressing yourself.

Conservatives warned of this decline and we were mocked.

How do we fix it now? end mandatory attendance.

or do like Allentown PA is doing. Put the dumb kids in one HS and the smart ones in another.

I believe in most state constitutions, it is a right. That's one problem. The second problem is our juvenile justice system has no place to put them, so they "sentence" them to attend school. Thirdly, and most disturbing, is that no one wants to acknowledge it.

When I read about all the new ideas legislating "bullying" I get incensed. Kids getting teased sucks. But you know what really sucks? Getting raped or knifed in a school locker room. We now have a federal dept. called "stopthebullying.org". How about "stopthebullshit.org"? :evil:

Permissive parenting; permissive discipline policies; and a juvenile justice system that doesn't want to deal with anything short of murder ain't working. Time to try something different.

In the lowest grades, k-3, the victims of bullies tend to be referred for counseling after being victimized. I guess this is trying to buy time for the bullies to get control. Of course, it leads to many social problems for the victims, who often become bullies as a result.

Now I seriously have to wonder how they are counting all these 'attacks', but the bottom line is one is better off being accused of battery or rape than bullying. What are these kids doing in a regular school?

We can't change high school parents from hands off to responsible, unless we hold them accountable. Let the victim's parents sue them and perhaps some results will happen? Teachers need to file the police reports and show up in court.

In the lowest grades, k-3, the victims of bullies tend to be referred for counseling after being victimized. I guess this is trying to buy time for the bullies to get control. Of course, it leads to many social problems for the victims, who often become bullies as a result.

Now I seriously have to wonder how they are counting all these 'attacks', but the bottom line is one is better off being accused of battery or rape than bullying. What are these kids doing in a regular school?

We can't change high school parents from hands off to responsible, unless we hold them accountable. Let the victim's parents sue them and perhaps some results will happen? Teachers need to file the police reports and show up in court.

How do you sue someone on welfare? I think any kid evolved in criminal behavior as the aggressor should be put in jail...and never be let back into a regular school ever again.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back