Viking River Cruise - Rhine River - Trip Report

Discussion in 'Travel' started by DGS49, Aug 22, 2016.

1. whoisit

whoisit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +299
    All my grown kids have been on lots of cruises over the years, but we never went one more than day cruise for gambling. And a half day on other commercial ships.

2. FJO

FJO Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    I just got home from a cruise from Amsterdam to Istanbul run by Viking's competitor, Uniworld. I am glad I did because the same time we were cruising on Rhine-Main-Danube, two Viking employees were killed in an accident because they had no idea they were approaching and sail under a low bridge.

Let me respond to your post with my exprerience, point by point.

1. Fully agree, but being a geezer myself it did not bother me. Most of the geezers were from New Zealand, Australia, Canada (like myself) and a few from the States.

2. We decided not to care about costs, because, what the hell, you can`t take it with you. We flew business class from Winnipeg, MB Canada to Amsterdam and back from Istanbul, and it was worth every penny. We had to book 18 months in advance, but, again, no regrets.

3. Agree with everything. We only had 102 passengers and by the and of two weeks we knew and loved all the serve staff and they knew all our pecadillos and let me hope that they they at least liked us in return. The Staff was all ethnicity. Being a Hungarian born person myself I enjoyed the company of a Hungarian Chef, waiters and cleaning girls, polishing up on my fading skills of speaking Hungarian. While on board, I was mildly sick and Peter the chef prepared for me tha soup my mother used to make when I was a kid.

We met and made friends and ate end exchanged e-mail addresses with passengers and and with staff.

The Crew changed at half way point in Budapest, but the new crew was every bit as nice as the the one before.

4. Wallet was not an issue. All drinks and all food was included in the price of the cruise, without limit, and if I may say so, from personal experience, with the solid encouragement of the staff who brought the drink to our table, sometimes unordered.

Optional trips were available, but the only ones we take pet in were the ones we were interested in, and never felt any pressure to go and pay for something we were not interested in.

5. The activity on board of the ship included local music groups, dance groups, one classical pianist, glass and chrystal making, youghourt making and explanation how the lock system works. AS far as I know nobody missed gambling.

6. Again, I mainly agree. Our tour guides were knowledgeable about history , geography and politics. Accent made no difference. In Heidelberg Germany we had a tour guide who had no accent at all, because she was an American, married to a German citizen a few years back. And in Istanbul our tour guide somehow - unintentionally, I am sure - attached an ``s` sound to every word that ended in an `r`, such as àre` `your` or `four``.

Finally, this cruise came about as a compromise. My wife always wanted to go go on an ocean cruise but I resisted seeing all those ocean cruise ship disasters. I told her, hell even if we hit a rock on a river, I can still - hopefully - swim to shore.

All in all a very happy experience.

3. FJO

FJO Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    Uniworld has a no tipping policy and based on the disposition of the crew, I am sure they are compensated well enough for their services.

I agree about the Wi-Fi services. But then, you are on vacation.

4. Tommy Tainant

Tommy Tainant Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,822
    Thanks for that. Its on my retirement list. Think I wont do Basel though. I found it a deadly dull place when I visited.

5. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,309
    Thanks, FJO. I appreciate your input.

6. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,192
    "They all speak with an accent" :lol:

7. Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +55
    DGS49. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge of the River Cruise.

8. malnila

malnila Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Just happened upon this thread. As I've said elsewhere, I love cruising and have a desire to try a river cruise. Sadly, this "geezer" is finding it hard to travel for any great distance but who knows in the future (if and when health improves). I'm thinking I would prefer the Uniworld cruise over the Viking. Thanks for the reviews.