"View First Unread" -- which never is

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
I never have been able to figure out this function. Here's an example:

When I logged off earlier today, I left the thread I was in at:
Page 7, Post #35.

When I logged back on a few moments ago, here is where I landed when I clicked on "View First Unread:
Page 22, Post #106.

At the page bar, it read:
< 12 20 21 22 23 24 > last

I stopped trying to figure it out, find my place, a long time ago and just make a note of the page and post numbers, which is much faster.

But just for the heck of it, is there some really simple secret I'm not aware of?

Twenty views and nobody has an answer? Glad to know I'm not the only one who's clueless about this.

Did you log out properly before closing the browser?

Did you visit the site (but not the thread) in the interim?

For me, this has occurred when I visited USMB but not the thread in question- when I logged out, my 'unread' stuff got reset. I think the 'first unread post' and 'new posts' function must be closely connected on the programming end, since they seem to both get reset when you log out or your cookies get jacked up.

I think you have to ask someone familiar with vbulletin's internal workings to get a real answer

Maybe if KK were still around she could help you

All I can say is it's never worked for me either, Maggie. I just gave up. If I can't find my place, I'll usually just ditch the thread. :dunno:

If it's gone on that long, it's probably jacked to hell and back anyway. :lol:

I usually skinny dip, jump right in naked with no idea what the hell is going on.

Seems to work. :dunno:

For me, this has occurred when I visited USMB but not the thread in question- when I logged out, my 'unread' stuff got reset. I think the 'first unread post' and 'new posts' function must be closely connected on the programming end, since they seem to both get reset when you log out or your cookies get jacked up.

I think you have to ask someone familiar with vbulletin's internal workings to get a real answer

I do log out, but I don't see how erasing the cookies has anything to do with it. I could understand resetting would, though, but if that's the case, I should be brought back to Page 1, Post #1.

Doesn't really matter, but I was hoping one of the mods had the answer. I've been known to ask questions that have simple answers.

It has less to do with your own cookies than the server-side data. When you log out, the board marks every single post made up 'til that point read- that's how the 'new posts' feature is able to show posts made since your last visit.

So, I log in and reply to this thread. Than I log out. Three posts are made in this thread. I come back but do not view this particular thread, and log out again. When I log out, the entire forum is marked read so that when i come back again 'new posts' will only show posts since my last visit.

I'm no coder, from from the logical side of things (rather than the syntax side), my guess is that, rather than storing your last viewed post in a subscribed thread separately, your 'subscriptions' page simple displays the same information as the 'new posts' page with the exception that it filters out only those threads added to an inclusion list (that is your subscription list)

The plus side of this is that it's much simpler and makes for less coding and a more efficient system with less information having to be stored. The drawback is the problem we seem to have all encountered- logging out without catching up on a thread causes you to lose your place.

Because of this, I use read it later to mark my spot if I know I won't be reading the rest of a thread before logging out and I want to return to where i was when log in again

Last edited:
It has less to do with your own cookies than the server-side data. When you log out, the board marks every single post made up 'til that point read- that's how the 'new posts' feature is able to show posts made since your last visit.

So, I log in and reply to this thread. Than I log out. Three posts are made in this thread. I come back but do not view this particular thread, and log out again. When I log out, the entire forum is marked read so that when i come back again 'new posts' will only show posts since my last visit.

I'm no coder, from from the logical side of things (rather than the syntax side), my guess is that, rather than storing your last viewed post in a subscribed thread separately, your 'subscriptions' page simple displays the same information as the 'new posts' page with the exception that it filters out only those threads added to an inclusion list (that is your subscription list)

The plus side of this is that it's much simpler and makes for less coding and a more efficient system with less information having to be stored. The drawback is the problem we seem to have all encountered- logging out without catching up on a thread causes you to lose your place.

Because of this, I use read it later to mark my spot if I know I won't be reading the rest of a thread before logging out and I want to return to where i was when log in again

That makes sense, but with all that going on 'behind the scenes,' I wonder why the format designers even chose it as an option. I think I'll just stick with my old-fashioned pencil method to locate where I left off!

I appreciate your taking the time to explain it all, however. Thanks much.

The top bar (navy blue), to the far left. It only appears if you've already posted in the thread.

You're right about the "log out" resetting everything. I haven't been doing it, and when I revisit subscribed threads, it will bring me back to where I left off. Who knew? I'm just an end user, not a pro.

I've just decided to read all the threads backwards. Some make more sense that way. :cool:

I've never gone to that length, but I do often read the first ten or so pages, then skip to the last page to see how the tone has changed and then back up if it looks interesting.

I've just decided to read all the threads backwards. Some make more sense that way. :cool:

I've never gone to that length, but I do often read the first ten or so pages, then skip to the last page to see how the tone has changed and then back up if it looks interesting.

I been doing that since I arrived. I had no idea there was a better way, LOL.

Wish you'd a done this Op like 10 months ago, Mags!

I never have been able to figure out this function. Here's an example:

When I logged off earlier today, I left the thread I was in at:
Page 7, Post #35.

When I logged back on a few moments ago, here is where I landed when I clicked on "View First Unread:
Page 22, Post #106.

I stopped trying to figure it out, find my place, a long time ago and just make a note of the page and post numbers, which is much faster.

But just for the heck of it, is there some really simple secret I'm not aware of?

Yeah. Don't use it.

Oh, I didn't notice that before. I didn't realize you were that fucking stupid. That's the button to go to the last page of the thread. The button for the last unread post is a completely different button that doesn't appear anywhere when you're viewing the thread itself, but it only visible when viewing the forum, new posts, or subscriptions.

Sorry,I grossly overestimated your intelligence and didn't realize how stupid a question you were actually asking.

Oh, I didn't notice that before. I didn't realize you were that fucking stupid. That's the button to go to the last page of the thread. The button for the last unread post is a completely different button that doesn't appear anywhere when you're viewing the thread itself, but it only visible when viewing the forum, new posts, or subscriptions.

Sorry,I grossly overestimated your intelligence and didn't realize how stupid a question you were actually asking.

Thanks, asshole. I already knew that. I was merely using the numbering as fucking examples. Now piss off with your insults.

Forum List

Back