View Ecologically Delicate Regions. Destroy the Ozone While You're at It.

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
I cannot take credit for this. I saw it elsewhere. Damn it made me laugh.

"Join us on a remarkable 25-day journey by luxury private jet," invites the WWF in a brochure for its voyage to "some of the most astonishing places on the planet to see top wildlife, including gorillas, orangutans, rhinos, lemurs and toucans."

worldwildlifetour.jpg

For a price tag that starts at $64,950 per person, travelers will meet at the Ritz-Carlton in Orlando, Fla. on April 6, 2009 and then fly to “remote corners” of the world on a “specially outfitted jet that carries just 88 passengers in business-class comfort.” “World class experts — including WWF’s director of species conservation — will provide lectures en route, and a professional staff will be devoted to making your global adventure seamless and memorable.” Travelers will visit the Amazon Rain Forest in Brazil, Easter Island, Samoa, Borneo, Laos, Nepal, Madagascar.

This is the very same WWF that says “the current growth in [carbon dioxide] emissions must be stopped as soon as possible” and that blames Americans for emitting 21 percent of global CO2 emissions even though the U.S. accounts for only 5 percent of the global population. In December 2007, the WWF launched its “Earth Hour” campaign, a global initiative in which cities and communities simultaneously turn out their lights for one hour “to symbolize their leadership and commitment to finding solutions for climate change.”

So how does this fantasy trip square with the WWF’s alarmist rhetoric?

Using the carbon footprint calculator on the WWF’s own web site, the 36,800-mile trip in a Boeing 757 jet will burn about 100,000 gallons of jet fuel to produce roughly 1,231 tons of CO2 in 25 days — that’s the equivalent of putting about 1,560 SUVs on the road during those three-plus weeks and that doesn’t even include emissions related to local air, ground and water transport and other amenities.

Quintessential green "do as I say but not as I do." Classic.

They took the link down for that one, too much flack I guess. But their main travel link is still up.

WWF - WWF Travel - View All Trips

Granny says, "Dat's right - one day we all gonna wake up an' there won't be no air to breathe an' we all gonna die...
:eek:
Study: Ozone Smog Pollution Expanding
February 07, 2011 - A new study provides the strongest evidence yet that ozone smog, a type of air pollution most often found in big cities, poses a major public health danger. The study found that even at low levels, ozone smog increases the risk of asthma attacks and irritation in the respiratory system; together with air pollution it can also contribute to heart attacks and strokes.
Lorene Alba has suffered from chronic asthma for nearly 20 years. She says living in the city and avoiding asthma attacks is not always easy. "If it is a bad air quality day, I try not to do things in the middle of the day, I try to do them in the early morning or in the evening. I am really careful about where I walk, away from bus fumes; I try to stay close to the buildings as opposed to closer to the sidewalks," she said.

Alba is not alone. According to the American Lung Association, more than 20 million people suffer from asthma in the United States - and the number could grow. "The environment is a huge trigger for me, especially on days of bad air quality. The buses, the smog, the pollution - all of these things can really trigger my asthma," Alba said.

The new study, conducted jointly by the Environmental Protection Agency and the University of North Carolina, found that levels of ozone smog that until now have been considered safe, actually pose a serious public health threat. "The latest study on ozone is telling us that lower levels of ozone can be really dangerous for us to breath," Alba said.

"This study looked at healthy young adults. They looked at levels that we previously thought were pretty safe, and when those healthy young adults were exposed in a clinical setting in a laboratory, that ozone by itself, it caused some real breathing problems for them. It was measurable," said Janice Nolen, with the American Lung Association in Washington.

The ozone damaging the lungs of these young adults is an invisible gas, made of three oxygen atoms. When it's inhaled, ozone can irritate and inflame the sensitive internal tissues of the respiratory system. Nolen adds that ozone is usually accompanied by particle pollution such as diesel engine exhaust, which can cause further problems like heart attacks and strokes.

MORE

New ozone depleting compounds found...
:eek:
Scientists Identify Four New Ozone Depleting Gases in Atmosphere
March 10th, 2014 ~ Scientists have identified four new man-made gases in the atmosphere that they say are helping to destroy Earth’s protective ozone layer.
Writing in Nature Geoscience, the researchers said that there are about 74,000,000 kilograms of three newly identified chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) – compounds that only contain the atoms of carbon, fluorine and chlorine – and one new hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFC) – hydrogen, carbon, fluorine and chlorine – that have been released into our atmosphere. The ozone layer, located between the upper troposphere and lower stratosphere, contains a high concentration of an inorganic compound called ozone or trioxygen in the atmosphere. The ozone layer provides all life on Earth with protection from the harmful effects of the Sun’s radiation. The gasses were identified by the group of scientists as CFC-112 (Tetrachloro-1, 2 – difluoroethane or Freon-112), CFC-112a (Tetrachloro-1, 1 – difluoroethane or Freon-112a), CFC-113a (1, 1, 1 – Trichloro – 2, 2, 2 – trifluoroethane or Freon-113a) and HCFC-133a (Monochlorotrifluoroethane). The HCFCs are a group of man-made gases that were developed to replace CFC gases as refrigerants and aerosol propellants.

Ozone-Layer-March-6-2014-South-North-Poles-640x354.jpg

The false-color view of total ozone over the Antarctic pole (l) and Arctic pole (r) on March 6, 2014. The purple and blue colors are where there is the least ozone, and the yellows and reds are where there is more ozone.

The production of HCFCs grew in the 1980s after nations agreed to phase out the use of CFCs. While they were considered to be less harmful to the environment than CFCs, HCFCs sometimes referred to as “super greenhouse gases” are also very potent greenhouse gases, despite being in very low concentrations in the atmosphere. The researchers were able to make their findings by comparing samples of today’s air with air that has been trapped within polar “firn snow”, or the accumulation of snow leftover from previous years, as well as unpolluted air that was sampled between 1978 and 2012 in Tasmania. The scientists say the polar “firn snow” provided them with a natural archive of the atmosphere that dates back to about a century ago. Measurements taken by the scientists indicated that all four of the new ozone layer-destroying gases have been released into the atmosphere recently but two them are amassing greatly.

Chlorofluorocarbons_space-filling_representation.jpg

Model of a Chloroflurocarbon (CFC) molecule

The researchers said that the increase in emissions of the CFCs they studied have not been observed with any other CFC gases since the 1990s when stricter controls were introduced. But they do add that the current emissions are nowhere near the 1980s when the discharge of CFCs was at their peak with around 100,000,000 kilograms of the gases released each year. “Our research has shown four gases that were not around in the atmosphere at all until the 1960s which suggests they are man-made,” said the study’s lead researcher Johannes Laube from University of East Anglia.. CFC compounds have been identified as the key source of the hole in the ozone layer over Antarctica. In order to protect the ozone layer, a number of nations around the world signed or ratified the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer in 1987 and the agreement went into effect in 1989. The international agreement sought to reduce and eventually phase out the use of CFCs by 2010.

1000px-Ozone_cycle.svg_-308x217.png

The ozone cycle

Many consider the Montreal Protocol to be one of the most successful international agreements ever reached. The atmospheric concentrations of the most harmful CFCs have leveled off or at least have been decreased as a result, but there are various loopholes in the legislation that still allow usage of the CFCs for exempted purposes. “The identification of these four new gases is very worrying as they will contribute to the destruction of the ozone layer,” said Laube. “We don’t know where the new gases are being emitted from and this should be investigated. Possible sources include feedstock chemicals for insecticide production and solvents for cleaning electronic components.” Laube said that even if CFC emissions were to stop immediately, their presence would still be detected for many decades to come.

Scientists Identify Four New Ozone Depleting Gases in Atmosphere « Science World

Such WWF events are at the behest of the concentration of wealth. The only people with money to support these kinds of funds are increasingly becoming a smaller group. This small group of elites do not live in reality. They have become accustom to opulence and will not tolerate anything else but the best. So in order to get donations they need to formulate approaches that appeal to the only population with money to spare. In fact, they have so much money to spare, there's a magazine devoted to "How to Spend It" because affluent folks have too much to know how to spend.

Such WWF events are at the behest of the concentration of wealth. The only people with money to support these kinds of funds are increasingly becoming a smaller group. This small group of elites do not live in reality. They have become accustom to opulence and will not tolerate anything else but the best. So in order to get donations they need to formulate approaches that appeal to the only population with money to spare. In fact, they have so much money to spare, there's a magazine devoted to "How to Spend It" because affluent folks have too much to know how to spend.

On this RARE occasion, we generally agree WITH REGARDS SPECIFICALLY to the WWF..
But not in general.. You missed the ethics of the problem, because of your false equations of wealth to evil..

The WWF is committing MORAL crimes against nature by stealing that money...
When "too much wealth" is acquired ON FALSE PREMISES -- it irks me as well.

And NO --- I will not engage on your general fantasies of zero sum "fairness".. This is SPECIFIC to this group of lobster-eating legal frauds..

On this RARE occasion, we generally agree WITH REGARDS SPECIFICALLY to the WWF..
But not in general.. You missed the ethics of the problem, because of your false equations of wealth to evil..

And NO --- I will not engage on your general fantasies of zero sum "fairness".. This is SPECIFIC to this group of lobster-eating legal frauds..

I do not think wealth is inherently evil. How did you reach that conclusion?

Ecotourism is controversial. It has pluses and minuses. Personally, I think it's dumb. I don't need to see the damn whales directly to appreciate them, and I can appreciate the nature in my backyard.

People worried about the ozone ought to get rid of all their frivolous pleasures in life that we can live without but contribute to global warming and ozone depletion.

Get rid of your cats, they are a burden on the environment.

Only drink water, no Soda Pops.

No TV

No computer

You need none of this too live but yet it makes pollution and burns oil which you all are up in arms over.

So you're saying I should kill denialists? That's not very nice. I reject that demand.

(Hey, you did tell me to get rid of the things that contribute the most to global warming. By your logic, that means you should be the one removed.)

I do not think wealth is inherently evil. How did you reach that conclusion?

Just a hunch chief... :D

My idea of ecotourism!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-1oD8Qjcok][NASCAR] 2009 NASCAR All-Star Race Segment 4 & Victory Lane - YouTube[/ame]

$65,000 to see a few animals = yawn.

Forum List

Back