Vietnam War films

Platoon is the worst at the constant and flagrant war crimes that are committed continually in the film by the US forces.

Everything from mass rape of a minor to beating cripples to death is portrayed as just another day for the boys.

not every day but don't think war crimes did not happen. Sure not all
were involved but some were
Show me a single documented DoD case of US forces in a clear and secure op systematically raping a minor or beating a cripple to death.

Platoon is the worst at the constant and flagrant war crimes that are committed continually in the film by the US forces.

Everything from mass rape of a minor to beating cripples to death is portrayed as just another day for the boys.

Show me a single documented DoD case of US forces in a clear and secure op systematically raping a minor or beating a cripple to death.

Right sure Believe in god do ya document it

My Lai Massacure 1968 (year I was in country) 350 civillians murdered and raped and tourtured 26 charges 1 conviction William Calley served 3 years of a life sentence. He was the example used to satisfy the news papers,no computers then. Not talking on this topic any more believe me or do not

Right sure Believe in god do ya document it
I don't believe in bullshit.

In fact, I have worked with people like BG Burkett to expose the phoney 'war stories' and tales of war crimes and atrocities that so many like to today claim as fact.

If you claim to know of some, give me the unit, the AO and if possible the names of alledged men involved.

I will look into it, and pass it on to others who also do this kind of work.

My Lai Massacure 1968 (year I was in country) 350 civillians murdered and raped and tourtured 26 charges 1 conviction William Calley served 3 years of a life sentence. He was the example used to satisfy the news papers,no computers then. Not talking on this topic any more believe me or do not
I know all about this case.

I had a chance to speak to the late Chief Warrant Officer Hugh Thompson who stopped the massacre by landing his chopper in Calley's men's line of fire.

My Lai was an exception, not a rule.

This article is about the massacre. For the hamlet, see My Lai, Vietnam
My Lai Massacre

Location Sơn Mỹ village, Sơn Tịnh district of South Vietnam
Date March 16, 1968
Attack type Massacre
Deaths 347 according to the U.S Army (not including My Khe killings), others estimate more than 400 killed and injuries are unknown, Vietnamese government lists 504 killed in total from both My Lai and My Khe
Perpetrator(s) Task force from the United States Army Americal Division
2LT. William Calley (convicted)
[hide]v • d • eMassacres of the Vietnam War

Tiger Force – Bình Hòa – Đắk Sơn – Huế – Mỹ Lai – Thạnh Phong – Duc Duc

Winter Soldier Investigation - Vietnam War Crimes Working Group

The My Lai Massacre ( pronunciation (help·info), approximately [mi.˧˩˥'lɐːj˧˧])[1] (Vietnamese: thảm sát Mỹ Lai) was the mass murder of 347 to 504 unarmed citizens in South Vietnam, entirely civilians and some of them women and children, conducted by U.S. Army forces on March 16, 1968.

Many of the victims were sexually abused, beaten, tortured, or maimed, and some of the bodies were found mutilated.[2] The massacre took place in the hamlets of Mỹ Lai and My Khe of Sơn Mỹ village during the Vietnam War.[3][4] Of the 26 US soldiers initially charged with criminal offences for their actions at My Lai, only William Calley was convicted. He served three years of his life sentence.

When the incident became public knowledge in 1969, it prompted widespread outrage around the world. The massacre also reduced U.S. support at home for the Vietnam War. Three U.S. servicemen who made an effort to halt the massacre and protect the wounded were denounced by U.S. Congressmen, received hate mail, death threats and mutilated animals on their doorsteps.[5] Only 30 years after the event were their efforts honored.[6]

The massacre is also known as the Sơn Mỹ Massacre (Vietnamese: thảm sát Sơn Mỹ) or sometimes as the Song My Massacre.[7] The U.S. military codeword for the hamlet was Pinkville.[8]

Contents [hide]
1 The incident
1.1 Background
1.2 Killings
1.3 Helicopter intervention
2 Aftermath
2.1 Cover-up and investigations
2.2 Court martial
2.3 Survivors
3 Effects and analysis
4 Those involved
4.1 Commanders
4.2 1st Platoon
4.3 Other soldiers
4.4 Rescue helicopter
5 Photographs
6 Media
7 Other massacres called My Lai
8 See also
9 References
10 Further reading
11 External links

[edit] The incident
“ He fired at it [the baby] with a .45. He missed. We all laughed

Missing in Action II is a cult favorite of mine, Soon tek Ho dressed in a japanese uniform (it was supposed to be vietnamese, but I guess the movie company didn't have those) vs Chuck Norris, still kicking ass after a decade in camp!

chuck_norris_toilet_paper2.PNG

I guess out of all of them, First Blood is a favorite not so much because of the Stallone movie but because I'm a huge David Morrell fan. Even though the movie doesn't really compare with the book, it couldn't even if it tried. The movie came out in 1982, well after Vietnam whereas Morrell's book was written in 1972 during the height of the anti-war movement in America. The ironic part is that in the book, Teasle and Rambo have a mutual respect for each other even though they are doomed to fight and kill each other (Trautman is the one who actually finishes off Rambo after Teasle wounds him).

First Blood the movie was a very toned down version of the book. It wasn't until the very last installment of the movie series, Rambo, that the very essence of David Morrell's original character was finally captured on film.

As for the military accuracy of the first three Rambo movies, well, they make me giggle.

You left out the significant part that Rambo kills Teasle just Trautman kills Rambo. I read the book first, so saying I was disappointed would be an understatement.

I don't recall Teasle having respect for Rambo. That's what caused the shit to begin with. That part of the movie stayed true.

In the book as opposed to the movie, Rambo kills all the police on the mountain except Teasle. Trautman later explains to Teasle that Rambo saw his Korean War decorations so he expected Teasle to stay and fight, not run down the mountain as fast as he could. The movie shows the decorations in a shot of Teasle's office, but omits the explanation.

Hollyweird's moral code dictated that Rambo only wound the cops or he would have to die. There would be no part II. Notice in Part II where he's killing commies it's perfectly acceptable to leave a trail of bodies across Vietnam.

You really think in Rambo, Stallone accurately protrays the character from the novel? Maybe. I'll have to ponder that one.

I meant respect as adversaries and didn't mean they had a love fest going on. In the movie, Teasle sees Rambo as nothing but a deadbeat. But then again, it's been a long time since I read First Blood, and a lot of David Morrell's books (and characters) tend to blend together over time. First Blood was, I believe, the only book that Morrell wrote straightforward. In all others, he begins with some historical precedent and then indirectly refers back to that precedent throughout the book. (In the movie, I was looking forward to the part when Rambo kills the horse, splits its carcass and then burrows inside of it to stay warm in the cold Winter night. Then again, I don't think Hollywood could have gotten away with it back then nor could they nowadays.)

Yeah, I think Stallone finally caught the essence of the original Rambo character; took him four tries, but I think he finally got it.

The Green Berets. Dad is a Vietnam vet. He deployed in 1964 with the 1st Cavalry Division. He was in division HQ during La Drang, but he saw action at LZ Albany, since his company flew in to reinforce 1st Bat of the 7th during the last day of the battle. He says that the Green Berets is the most accurate film that he has seen to date on the experience of the Vietnam War. He also says that We Were Soldiers was just damn near klike being in that battle. Two movies out of the dozens that have been done ar accurate according to Dad. Pretty sad.

I guess out of all of them, First Blood is a favorite not so much because of the Stallone movie but because I'm a huge David Morrell fan. Even though the movie doesn't really compare with the book, it couldn't even if it tried. The movie came out in 1982, well after Vietnam whereas Morrell's book was written in 1972 during the height of the anti-war movement in America. The ironic part is that in the book, Teasle and Rambo have a mutual respect for each other even though they are doomed to fight and kill each other (Trautman is the one who actually finishes off Rambo after Teasle wounds him).

First Blood the movie was a very toned down version of the book. It wasn't until the very last installment of the movie series, Rambo, that the very essence of David Morrell's original character was finally captured on film.

As for the military accuracy of the first three Rambo movies, well, they make me giggle.

You left out the significant part that Rambo kills Teasle just Trautman kills Rambo. I read the book first, so saying I was disappointed would be an understatement.

I don't recall Teasle having respect for Rambo. That's what caused the shit to begin with. That part of the movie stayed true.

In the book as opposed to the movie, Rambo kills all the police on the mountain except Teasle. Trautman later explains to Teasle that Rambo saw his Korean War decorations so he expected Teasle to stay and fight, not run down the mountain as fast as he could. The movie shows the decorations in a shot of Teasle's office, but omits the explanation.

Hollyweird's moral code dictated that Rambo only wound the cops or he would have to die. There would be no part II. Notice in Part II where he's killing commies it's perfectly acceptable to leave a trail of bodies across Vietnam.

You really think in Rambo, Stallone accurately protrays the character from the novel? Maybe. I'll have to ponder that one.

I meant respect as adversaries and didn't mean they had a love fest going on. In the movie, Teasle sees Rambo as nothing but a deadbeat. But then again, it's been a long time since I read First Blood, and a lot of David Morrell's books (and characters) tend to blend together over time. First Blood was, I believe, the only book that Morrell wrote straightforward. In all others, he begins with some historical precedent and then indirectly refers back to that precedent throughout the book. (In the movie, I was looking forward to the part when Rambo kills the horse, splits its carcass and then burrows inside of it to stay warm in the cold Winter night. Then again, I don't think Hollywood could have gotten away with it back then nor could they nowadays.)

Yeah, I think Stallone finally caught the essence of the original Rambo character; took him four tries, but I think he finally got it.

Interesting. In the 4th movie is also when he decides to come to terms with who and what he is. He's a more brooding character than in the first 3.

My problem with the 4th was the gratuitous gore. Too much of it, IMO was gore for its own sake and didn't help the movie at all.

Question:

When I was a kid I saw a Vietnam War Movie that had a scene where soldiers have a family hanging over a well with barbed wire and their child/children have to hold the barbed wire to keep them from being killed (which they cant). Has anyone seen this movie? Any ideas what movie it may be? I'm trying to locate it. Thank you.

USMC C 1/4 Vietnam 67-68. The best movie about Vietnam I ever saw was a Rumor of War based on Philip Cavuto's book. It is a made for TV movie. It showed the boring sweeps and patrols and then the moments of sheer terror. Cavuto was a LT with the 1st Bn 3rd Marines the 2nd Marine Bn to enter Vietnam in 1965.

My favorite Vietnam era war movie is "Full Metal Jacket".

Not the whole movie, just the first half, where the soldiers are in basic training. It is pretty accurate, and reminds me of my experience going through basic training during that time period. (except the part where the Drill Sargent gets shot)

The second half of the movie where the soldier's end up in Vietnam is pure Hollywood. ..... :cool:

One of the better films was a low budget limited release picture called 'Go tell the Spartans' with Burt Lancaster. The film was based on actual first hand accounts of the advisors in Vietnam in 1964 before LBJ heavily comitted US forces in 1965.

Among the worst films are 'Platoon' which is so laughable you can count the war crimes in the dozens portrayed on film, 'The Deer Hunter' which again shows us how hollywood treated the subject matter, and the most rediculous, 'Apocolypse now' which was really Conreid's 'Heart of Darkness' reset in Cambodia.

Why Platoon? As much as I despise Oliver Stone, most vets on TV say that was the most accurate depiction of the war. I know it is tough to trust it, since Oliver Stone is a dishonest leftist and the king of antiAmerican propaganda. However it was still a top notch Vietnam War movie

Top are:
Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, Hamburger Hill, We Were Soldiers, Rescue Me and Rambo 2 (sorry I love this movie).

I wasn’t a fan of Deer Hunter, too damn boring.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Forum List

Back