Vietnam War films

Odd that War films never spend much time dealing with the outcomes of war, isn't it?

My VietNam war was dealing with those outcomes.

It was not glorious, it was not heroic, it was stinking wounds and young men trying to cope with the fact that they would never ever be the same people they were before they went into a glorious war.

same asshole comments

One of the better films was a low budget limited release picture called 'Go tell the Spartans' with Burt Lancaster. The film was based on actual first hand accounts of the advisors in Vietnam in 1964 before LBJ heavily comitted US forces in 1965.

Among the worst films are 'Platoon' which is so laughable you can count the war crimes in the dozens portrayed on film, 'The Deer Hunter' which again shows us how hollywood treated the subject matter, and the most rediculous, 'Apocolypse now' which was really Conreid's 'Heart of Darkness' reset in Cambodia.

Platoon war crimes ,the herd, yea war is a crime,??when were you in country, or were you even in the world yet.

Odd that War films never spend much time dealing with the outcomes of war, isn't it?

It was not glorious, it was not heroic, it was stinking wounds and young men trying to cope with the fact that they would never ever be the same people they were before they went into a glorious war.

Try "The Deerhunter."

Ok Gunny hunter was about outcome

Platoon did well in it's addressing the different personalities and how war affected them. You couldn't have the "crusader" (Elias) nor the disaffected anti-hero (Taylor) without a Sgt Barnes -- a killing machine interested only in results.

The war played second-fiddle to the affects it had on the lives of the characters and their community in the Deerhunter. I thought that film was excellent in that it actually addressed the people involved and the climax wasn't an overwhelming military victory for the US.

Apocalypse Now and Hamburger Hill were both stupid, IMO.

Platoon 173 Airborne-- also called the Herd. this movie had some things that puts some Vets in thought. More accurate than one might think
Deerhunter after math showed some believable situations
Apocalypse garbage as well as Hamburger Hill

In country meant in Vietnam--The world meant the USA

Question was were you in vietnam
If that is what you wanted to know, ask it clearly next time.

The answer is no.

Sorry asked it this way to see if you were in the Nam,probably most Vietnam vets would have understood
If you were referring to phrases like 'in country' or 'the world' they are quite common, you can find them in comic books.

Both my old man (USN) and my oldest brother served in Vietnam and all of the NCOs I trained under were vets of Nam.

If that is what you wanted to know, ask it clearly next time.

The answer is no.

Sorry asked it this way to see if you were in the Nam,probably most Vietnam vets would have understood
If you were referring to phrases like 'in country' or 'the world' they are quite common, you can find them in comic books.

Both my old man (USN) and my oldest brother served in Vietnam and all of the NCOs I trained under were vets of Nam.

Just some slang words that I know vietnam Vets know not sure if they are used during piece time ..Don't know about comic books never read them. Tell your Dad and brother welcome home.

From what I have read, "We Were Soldiers" portrays it pretty accurately. I agree however that most Vietnam movies rely too heavily on the criminal American soldier.

I'm surprised no one has given kudos to Gene Hackman, Sly Stallone and Chuck Norris for all those POWs they liberated in the 80s.:lol:
Missing in Action II is a cult favorite of mine, Soon tek Ho dressed in a japanese uniform (it was supposed to be vietnamese, but I guess the movie company didn't have those) vs Chuck Norris, still kicking ass after a decade in camp!

chuck_norris_toilet_paper2.PNG

I guess out of all of them, First Blood is a favorite not so much because of the Stallone movie but because I'm a huge David Morrell fan. Even though the movie doesn't really compare with the book, it couldn't even if it tried. The movie came out in 1982, well after Vietnam whereas Morrell's book was written in 1972 during the height of the anti-war movement in America. The ironic part is that in the book, Teasle and Rambo have a mutual respect for each other even though they are doomed to fight and kill each other (Trautman is the one who actually finishes off Rambo after Teasle wounds him).

First Blood the movie was a very toned down version of the book. It wasn't until the very last installment of the movie series, Rambo, that the very essence of David Morrell's original character was finally captured on film.

As for the military accuracy of the first three Rambo movies, well, they make me giggle.

You left out the significant part that Rambo kills Teasle just Trautman kills Rambo. I read the book first, so saying I was disappointed would be an understatement.

I don't recall Teasle having respect for Rambo. That's what caused the shit to begin with. That part of the movie stayed true.

In the book as opposed to the movie, Rambo kills all the police on the mountain except Teasle. Trautman later explains to Teasle that Rambo saw his Korean War decorations so he expected Teasle to stay and fight, not run down the mountain as fast as he could. The movie shows the decorations in a shot of Teasle's office, but omits the explanation.

Hollyweird's moral code dictated that Rambo only wound the cops or he would have to die. There would be no part II. Notice in Part II where he's killing commies it's perfectly acceptable to leave a trail of bodies across Vietnam.

You really think in Rambo, Stallone accurately protrays the character from the novel? Maybe. I'll have to ponder that one.

same asshole comments

are you a viet nam vet?

same asshole comments

are you a viet nam vet?

Yes so now ya gonna insult me

We Were Soldiers did something very few other movies do: depict what it was like at home. Yeah, there are plenty of movies about the home front during war, but this one was the first to depict both what it's like in the combat zone and at the home front. It was very well made on so many levels. Hal Moore saw to it personally that Hollywood didn't screw it up.

I doubt any other effort will ever come close.

We Were Soldiers is the only movie that came close, sofar. The rest of them, Platoon, Hamburger Hill, Apocalypse Now are laughable to say the least. They even managed to get the uniforms right in this one, a rarity not seen in previous VN war films.

Well, hell, Comanche, if they ever did it completely right, nobody would see it.

Nobody could handle it.

Happy Easter.

I agree. Thanks, and a Happy belated Easter to you.

Platoon 173 Airborne-- also called the Herd. this movie had some things that puts some Vets in thought. More accurate than one might think

In country meant in Vietnam--The world meant the USA[/QUOTE]

Platoon the movie, did a piss poor job depicting infantry men of the U.S. 25th Infantry (Tropic Lightning) Division beating the bushes and committing atrocities somewhere in the ( Iron Triangle) along the Cambodian border. I have friends that served with the 25th Infantry (Wolfhounds), 11th Armored Cavalry and the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Vietnam. After seeing Platoon they were disgusted how Hollywood portrayed them.

Platoon is the worst at the constant and flagrant war crimes that are committed continually in the film by the US forces.

Everything from mass rape of a minor to beating cripples to death is portrayed as just another day for the boys.

Platoon, Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket top down the 3 best!

Other greats Hamburger, Deer Hunter, Good Mourning Vietnam and We Were Soldier

Last edited:

In country meant in Vietnam--The world meant the USA

Platoon the movie, did a piss poor job depicting infantry men of the U.S. 25th Infantry (Tropic Lightning) Division beating the bushes and committing atrocities somewhere in the ( Iron Triangle) along the Cambodian border. I have friends that served with the 25th Infantry (Wolfhounds), 11th Armored Cavalry and the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Vietnam. After seeing Platoon they were disgusted how Hollywood portrayed them.[/QUOTE]

huh not how some see it

Platoon is the worst at the constant and flagrant war crimes that are committed continually in the film by the US forces.

Everything from mass rape of a minor to beating cripples to death is portrayed as just another day for the boys.

not every day but don't think war crimes did not happen. Sure not all
were involved but some were

Forum List

Back