Vietnam, Irag, Afg not wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't think 9/11 was a Pearl Harbor like event?

No, it was done as a military action of a sovern government.

Yiou might want to study up on terrorism vs war.

and btw Iraq had nothing to do with 911.

Saudi Arabia and Yemem did though.

And yet, in the days and weeks following 9/11 when we had the entire world in our corner, we could have launched a massive retaliatory strike against either of those followed by a severe warning to keep your lunatics on a short leash.

But no, we went into Iraq for whatever reason, I don't know.

We could have attacked Yemen because that place is a shithole and no one cares about it, but I don't think we could have attacked Saudi Arabia, oil would have went through the roof and we would be paying gas prices that would make the ones we have now look like a present.

Screw bullets.

IEDs are worse.

Nothing quite like the feeling of knowing that you can be blown to smithereens without even having a shot at finding/killing the person trying to kill you.

That's why they are such an effective psychological weapon.

I mean, the would be a "weapon" if these were "real wars".

Scratch the term "psychological weapon" and insert "psychological annoyance".

Oh I know, IEDS are a bitch, you could die just being in a convoy and run over one.

Low risk, high payoff.

No wonder they are the weapon of choice.

I know, they work out perfectly for the insurgents.

And yet, in the days and weeks following 9/11 when we had the entire world in our corner, we could have launched a massive retaliatory strike against either of those followed by a severe warning to keep your lunatics on a short leash.

We could have attacked Yemen because that place is a shithole and no one cares about it, but I don't think we could have attacked Saudi Arabia, oil would have went through the roof and we would be paying gas prices that would make the ones we have now look like a present.

So instead, we send 4,000 soldiers to their deaths, get thousand more maimed for life, and piss away a trillion dollars on the Iraq fiasco.

What we needed to do was send a clear message to anyone who fucks with us.

And we didn't.

So instead, we send 4,000 soldiers to their deaths, get thousand more maimed for life, and piss away a trillion dollars on the Iraq fiasco.

And we didn't.

Attacking Saudi Arabia would have been 1000 times worse, Mecca and Medina are the Holy Sites of more than 1 billion Muslims, invading that country would have made Iraq look like a picnic.

Guess it takes a freaking Pearl Harbor before the US will Declare War....................

You don't think 9/11 was a Pearl Harbor like event?

No, it was not done as a military action of a sovern government.

In this sense you are correct.

However..to the national psyche..it was another Pearl Harbor. And it was exploited to engage in an action that had nothing to do with the event.

And we didn't.

Attacking Saudi Arabia would have been 1000 times worse, Mecca and Medina are the Holy Sites of more than 1 billion Muslims, invading that country would have made Iraq look like a picnic.

Cleaning up the camps in Afghanistan should have been the beginning and end of it.

so Invading Iraq was about oil and money?

And we didn't.

Cleaning up the camps in Afghanistan should have been the beginning and end of it.

Absolutely, and out in less than 6 months with the warning that leave us alone or we will be back.

And we didn't.

I disagree because after we did that they would have just moved right back in if there were no troops there.

Absolutely, and out in less than 6 months with the warning that leave us alone or we will be back.

Those camps would re-open as soon as the troops left.

I disagree because after we did that they would have just moved right back in if there were no troops there.

Well it's hard to deal in hypotheticals. But IMHO, decisive lethal and proportional action would have gone a long way in assuring the region we are just, we understand who the bad actors are, and we mean no harm to people that do not want to do harm to us.

All those three points have been blown out of the water.

Well it's hard to deal in hypotheticals. But IMHO, decisive lethal and proportional action would have gone a long way in assuring the region we are just, we understand who the bad actors are, and we mean no harm to people that do not want to do harm to us.

All those three points have been blown out of the water.

I agree, its easy to look back and say what we should have done, I agree with the invasion of Afghanistan, I just think we would should not have went into Iraq and focused more on Afghanistan. That war was so undermanned, underplanned and just disregarded, we only had 10,000 US Troops in that country and we barely covered any ground, thats how the Taliban came back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back