Video game violence

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
I dont think this topic comes up very much and I am thinking about writing a paper on the subject but now I am kind of curious what everyone thinks.

What is inspiring the paper is a news story I saw on a federal judge overturning a Minnesota law that is supposed to go into effect tomorrow because it violated the First amendment.

Judge voids new law on video games

So what does everything think about video game violence and minors?

I dont think this topic comes up very much and I am thinking about writing a paper on the subject but now I am kind of curious what everyone thinks.

What is inspiring the paper is a news story I saw on a federal judge overturning a Minnesota law that is supposed to go into effect tomorrow because it violated the First amendment.

Judge voids new law on video games

So what does everything think about video game violence and minors?

The article contains the following quote:

"The state failed to prove that violent games hurt children, the federal judge's ruling said."

This tells me the judge has no children. We have two boys ages six and five. The are restricted to 30 minutes of TV time or computer time a day(only on weekends during school) and we pick what they can see. Under normal circumstances they are great kids, but when they go to friends houses where they are allowed to watch TV and play video games unmonitered they come home with a noticeable change in personality. They tend to be more violent with one another and their manners go to shit. I am not particularly for more government intervention in our lives, but having said that I think violent video games and TV shows do have an effect on kids. It makes parenting that much more of a challenge.

Hobbit used to have a signature that said something to the effect of, 'If video games really affected us, I'd be running around a dark maze eating power pellets all day long.'

While I think that video games can have a negative effect if played for too long, in moderation, I don't think they are a big deal.

What a bunch of bull.
I've grown up playing violent games and watching violent movies. I've never once gotten violent against anyone in my life except once when my home was being invaded. Of course some kids may become violent after being exposed to that sort of stuff, but not all do, and I would argue most don't.
Good for that Judge.

theHawk said:
What a bunch of bull.
I've grown up playing violent games and watching violent movies. I've never once gotten violent against anyone in my life except once when my home was being invaded. Of course some kids may become violent after being exposed to that sort of stuff, but not all do, and I would argue most don't.
Good for that Judge.

If I may ask...do you have children?

remie said:
If I may ask...do you have children?

No, but I was one myself long time ago and I heard all of the same arguements back then as I do now.

Parents are supposed to parent, not the government.

theHawk said:
No, but I was one myself long time ago and I heard all of the same arguements back then as I do now.

Parents are supposed to parent, not the government.

If you were a kid a long time ago I think you will have to admit that the games today are considerably more graphic and violent that when you were growing up.

Also I stated that I was not for the government intervening in my life. I was simply responding to Avatars question if we thought video games could make kids more violent. Having children in my house I can state without a doubt they do, and it makes parenting (which we do) more difficult.

1. Violence shouldn't be the issue. I think if you allow your kid too much of
ANY video game it can be unhealthy (sorry fellow gamers).

2. Most violent games don't even hold a candle as to what they see on tv.
Video games are purchased (usually) by the adult and can be screened
easier than television.

remie said:
If you were a kid a long time ago I think you will have to admit that the games today are considerably more graphic and violent that when you were growing up.

Also I stated that I was not for the government intervening in my life. I was simply responding to Avatars question if we thought video games could make kids more violent. Having children in my house I can state without a doubt they do, and it makes parenting (which we do) more difficult.

how did kids a long time ago become violent then.....

i have kids and have found they jones for the forbidden.....deny them something make it difficult to get and they will overindulge and it will have a negative effect....my kids we took the mystery out of everything....they play outside .... me on the other hand...i sit in my bunker and kill shit.

5stringJeff said:
Hobbit used to have a signature that said something to the effect of, 'If video games really affected us, I'd be running around a dark maze eating power pellets all day long.'

While I think that video games can have a negative effect if played for too long, in moderation, I don't think they are a big deal.

The quote is that if video games had affected us, "We'd spend all day running around in dark rooms eating magic pills while listening to repetitive, electronic music." The joke is that lots of people do that.

I take the libertarian stance on this. Video games are another form of entertainment, which is a private industry. The government has no power to intervene in private industry unless it can be shown that the industry violates free enterpriseor is causing tangible harm to society. The judge, in this case, made the right decision. The ESRB rating system is not a law. It is a private organization that makes money off game makers by providing a standard by which parents can judge games other than playing them, much like the MPAA rating are for movies. Instead of fining stores that give kids games that are not age appropriate, deny them their business. It's free enterprise.

Ultimately, the responsibility falls on the parents, and despite what some politicians think, it is not the job or even the right of the government to step in and halt bad parenting. Children who result from bad parenting are a sad sad case, but if we start stepping in there, where will it start.

I think Jon Stewart said it best when he followed up a senator talking about his kids playing violent games by saying, "And as I stood there, watching them play these games, I could help but ask myself, 'Where did the system go wrong?'"

Hobbit said:
The quote is that if video games had affected us, "We'd spend all day running around in dark rooms eating magic pills while listening to repetitive, electronic music." The joke is that lots of people do that.
I thought it was magic mushrooms???

I dont think that video games have that big of an effect on kids. Occasionally, all boys (except for the funny ones) get the urge to shoot things. Many find relief in video games, others by going to the shooting range, others do so in paintball or airsoft. In moderation, it's perfectly fine. If all you do is sit in front of the computer and shoot up little animated people, then we have a problem.

manu1959 said:
how did kids a long time ago become violent then.....

i have kids and have found they jones for the forbidden.....deny them something make it difficult to get and they will overindulge and it will have a negative effect....my kids we took the mystery out of everything....they play outside .... me on the other hand...i sit in my bunker and kill shit.

I think there is a certain percentage of children that are prone to violence. Video games are not the only thing that causes it. When I was growing up a very long time ago I cant recall hearing about kids taking guns to school and shooting their classmates and teachers. Something has sure changed.

Thanks for the answers.

First, I dont think video game violence causes children to be violent.

However, I dont think you can say that they dont have some influence on children. I mean look how much major companies pay for 30 second advertisements. They think that with just 30 seconds they can sway us. you have to think there has to be atleast some influence on here.

I also think the law doesnt take the responsibility from the parents. In fact, i think its quite the opposite. There is nothing in the statute that prevents parents from purchasing the games for the children. Just from the Children from purchasing or renting it themselves. So in reality all the law is doing is making sure parents can control whether their children have the games in question.

Also, I cant see how this law has anything to do with the First amendment. The law doesnt prevent companies from producing the games as they want. It doesnt even prevent people from purchasing the games. It prevents minors from doing so. I just dont see how it could possibly violate the First amendment.

I think its an interesting topic because there are alot of interesting points of view on it and im not tied to any particular one so I think i have alot of flexibility to explore this topic.

BTW Joker I love the avatar

There have been studies done that show fairly conclusively that kids mimic what they see on tv and in video games. Kids watching Mighty Morphin Power Rangers will tackle and karate chop eachother during commercials.

Most, with positive parenting and normal human development grow out of the "I see it, so I copy it" stage of learning and development when they develop the concepts of right and wrong and an understanding of what is dangerous and what can hurt themselves and someone else.

So in my opinion, violent video games definetly effect kids...and yes, young kids will act out what they see.

However:

1) These young children should not be playing these types of games in the first place. There is a reason why Pac-Man is an acceptable game for kids and Grand Theft Auto is not.
2) Parents should be present to monitor what kids are watching/playing and to discuss right vs. wrong, and how our behavior and actions effects others.

I think that if a kid has a parent who monitors them, explains things to them, and punishes/corrects them for inappropriate behavior then there is really not going to be much of a problem.

Thanks for the answers.

First, I dont think video game violence causes children to be violent.

However, I dont think you can say that they dont have some influence on children. I mean look how much major companies pay for 30 second advertisements. They think that with just 30 seconds they can sway us. you have to think there has to be atleast some influence on here.

I also think the law doesnt take the responsibility from the parents. In fact, i think its quite the opposite. There is nothing in the statute that prevents parents from purchasing the games for the children. Just from the Children from purchasing or renting it themselves. So in reality all the law is doing is making sure parents can control whether their children have the games in question.

Also, I cant see how this law has anything to do with the First amendment. The law doesnt prevent companies from producing the games as they want. It doesnt even prevent people from purchasing the games. It prevents minors from doing so. I just dont see how it could possibly violate the First amendment.

I think its an interesting topic because there are alot of interesting points of view on it and im not tied to any particular one so I think i have alot of flexibility to explore this topic.

BTW Joker I love the avatar

I think the main issue stems from the fact that participating in the ESRB is completely voluntary, as the ESRB is a private company. It hasn't been standardized. It's simply a private company that offers a rating service to other private companies who wish to present people with a rating system based on what might be deemed innappropriate content. Currently, most stores already enfoce the 'no 'M' games to minors' rule, and have an ID prompt tied directly to scanning the items in question, just like other age controlled products such as tobacco and alcohol. Those who don't often come under fire from parents' groups. All this legislation does is grow government and stick the government's greedy little finger in yet another place it doesn't belong. If these arbitrary laws are allowed to pass, the gov't has its foot in the door. What next? Taxing so-called 'harmful' content, like they do on cigarettes and alcohol? Wild censorship and fines like those that followed the Janet Jackson stunt? The government's big enough already, and I'll fight it growing in any direction, no matter how small. The flaw in the system right now is the parents. Transferring parental responsibility to the government is always a mistake and is one of the first steps on the road to tyranny.

And if its not the parents' responsibility because the kids are buying the games on their own, I have a few questions. Where do they get this money? When and where do they play these games? Do you really think they could get away with it if their parents really didn't want them to?

remie said:
I think there is a certain percentage of children that are prone to violence. Video games are not the only thing that causes it. When I was growing up a very long time ago I cant recall hearing about kids taking guns to school and shooting their classmates and teachers. Something has sure changed.

i remeber watching gunsmoke, rat patrol and combat....then dresiing up in 5 sweat shirts and goggles and getting our bb guns a playing war.....

I think it all depends on the child's age and the game they are playing or even watching.

Tim loves to play Driver, GTA: Vice City & San Andreas, and Call of Duty (pc version). He has a high stress job, and uses CoD to blow off steam, and did it much more when he worked for NTS. This doesn't bother me unless Nathan is awake and around. I do not permit these games to be played in his presence, nor do I allow violent or foul-language filled movies to be played.

This is because Nathan is too young to know the difference between real and fake.

Now if Nathan were older, say 10 or 11, he would likely have a better grip on the real vs. fake/simulation, and the consequences of doing the same thing in real life. I may allow him to play CoD with dad, because that one really isn't totally graphic-no real blood, mostly just snipering.

As far as Driver & GTA, due to the 'gangsta' content being glorified, Nathan will not get to play this *ever*. I didn't even want Tim to get this game, but he's an adult, and his dad got it for him for Christmas, against my wishes I might add... :mad:

fuzzykitten99 said:
I think it all depends on the child's age and the game they are playing or even watching.

Tim loves to play Driver, GTA: Vice City & San Andreas, and Call of Duty (pc version). He has a high stress job, and uses CoD to blow off steam, and did it much more when he worked for NTS. This doesn't bother me unless Nathan is awake and around. I do not permit these games to be played in his presence, nor do I allow violent or foul-language filled movies to be played.

This is because Nathan is too young to know the difference between real and fake.

Now if Nathan were older, say 10 or 11, he would likely have a better grip on the real vs. fake/simulation, and the consequences of doing the same thing in real life. I may allow him to play CoD with dad, because that one really isn't totally graphic-no real blood, mostly just snipering.

As far as Driver & GTA, due to the 'gangsta' content being glorified, Nathan will not get to play this *ever*. I didn't even want Tim to get this game, but he's an adult, and his dad got it for him for Christmas, against my wishes I might add... :mad:

That's the joy of GTA though, is that when you're playing the game, you are a gangsta, lean and mean. Then once you turn off the game you can go to grandma's and play dice or eat angel food cake. Same with CoD, for that instant, you are in the field of France killing the Nazi's by the score, then once you're done you're back to being a regular person.

Once the game becomes anyone's first priority, then there's a problem. It's happened to me before... I got hooked on Superpower 2 for a while last summer, played for days on end.

Forum List

Back