video game history, quite fascinating actually

actsnoblemartin

I love Andrea & April
Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, CA
History of video games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Video games were introduced as a commercial entertainment medium in 1971, becoming the basis for a new entertainment industry in the late 1970s/early 1980s in the United States, Japan, and Europe. After a disastrous industry collapse in 1983 and a subsequent rebirth two years later, the video game industry has experienced sustained growth for over two decades to become an $22 billion industry, which rivals the motion picture industry as the most profitable entertainment industry in the world.

I have played a lot of the games mentioned in that article.

I remember the 8 bit days when nintendo first came out, Zelda & Dragon warrior series were my favorites at that time, as well as teh first metal gear.

Seems like a long time ago now.

I had one of those Pong games way back when you most of you weren't even born... You could hit this little square "ball" back and forth like you were playing tennis and you could also play a very simple game with a pair of tanks. That's just about where my video game skills ended.

Coleco made the tank game, my brother and I had it.

He would win every time, because he figured out how to curve the shots and I never could. ;)

Nowdays video games have become part of our life and especially of young childrens since most of them are busy playing it..

History of video games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Video games were introduced as a commercial entertainment medium in 1971, becoming the basis for a new entertainment industry in the late 1970s/early 1980s in the United States, Japan, and Europe. After a disastrous industry collapse in 1983 and a subsequent rebirth two years later, the video game industry has experienced sustained growth for over two decades to become an $22 billion industry, which rivals the motion picture industry as the most profitable entertainment industry in the world.

when obama gets his hands on it he will fuck it up so dont worry.

I had one of those Pong games way back when you most of you weren't even born... You could hit this little square "ball" back and forth like you were playing tennis and you could also play a very simple game with a pair of tanks. That's just about where my video game skills ended.

Gotcha beat I suspect.

I played (in Fathers-fore on Mass Ave, I think) one of the first commercial bar room pong games. (I think there were about a half dozen in bars in
Boston and Cambridge)

That was in the mid70's.

Those games were, or so I am informed, built in the garages by enterprising MIT students.

They definitely were not the slick manufactured machines that eventually were ubquitous in every bar in Amrica.

They were about 4' x 4', the screen faced upwards, and the players sat to either side to play.

They cost two bits to play and they were, at the time, the most amazing game anyone (remember we only had pin ball games before that time) had ever played.

Five years later and every bar had four or five diffrent games which were obviously the product of a factory that was putting them together en masse.

Of that generation of games Asteroids was my favorite.

'Asteriods'

I remember those days ed, the era of simple black and white screens that seemed so advanced back then. :)

'Asteriods'

I remember those days ed, the era of simple black and white screens that seemed so advanced back then. :)

If I'd wisely invested the money I pissed away on Asteroids in the 70s and early 80's, I'd be living a more comfortable life today than I am, that's for damned sure.

I remember actually drinking less beer (can you imagine!!??) just so I could pump quarters into those money traps.

I had pong! I don't remember the tanks, though. Maybe I just played the ball part. Then my friends got an Atari (the height of gaming greatness), and pong was no longer interesting.

Anyone here remember Zork? We used to play that on my friend's C64.

'Asteriods'

If I'd wisely invested the money I pissed away on Asteroids in the 70s and early 80's, I'd be living a more comfortable life today than I am, that's for damned sure.

I remember actually drinking less beer (can you imagine!!??) just so I could pump quarters into those money traps.
I remmeber what used to pass for games at arcades before the microchip era.

Sky ball does have it's appeals, just think, if you spend 30 bucks in quarters you might win that 2 dollar prize...:eusa_drool:

I held no interest in video games while growing up, primarily because of the graphics. Even if they were state-of-the-art, I rather and did go out to do other stuff. It wasn't until the N64/PS1 era I bothered getting into video games.

The Wiki page was pretty accurate, though they missed a few of the lesser known systems (of which I can't remember the names to) like this one that I had while growing up that used only vector style images, by projecting a laser onto a screen to make the images. It was a home system oddly and had only a few games to it. So long ago, so many memories. I got into programming the Apple games, when it was the IIe. Zork was big at the time, so was Wizardry.

here are some facts.

nes and stores just would not accept a new video game system from Nintendo cause of the crash. so Nintendo made a robot toy up and got there system into it how Nintendo stop the crash of the video game market.

Sega joins in and takes some of Nintendo audience away. Sega was the first company to acutally do blood gore games Nintendo took it out.

Atari stop making systems and now does games.

Nintendo and sony try to team up to make snes/cd game but how bad Sega fail Nintendo back out and went to a differ company and back out of them and stick with cartridges.

Nintendo had been trying online with the nes in japan and in the usa but they just couldn't get anything.

Sony enters the market with snes for a short time and than they make ps1 and hurt Nintendo in long run with the n64 still on cartridges.

Nintendo tried to sue sony over the playstation name Nintendo saying it was there but fail to prove it. sony won

Ps2 won cause of some bad hardware and get third party support.

Gamecube was thrid place but got better third party support than n64

Xbox joins into try to destory sony. MS owns xbox/xbox360 where the online acutally comes to live here.

though they were not the first to do it Online started with dream cast but Sega just did not do well it was way ahaed of its time.

nes- d-pad invited and protected by nintendo
n64- control-stick/anagole stick new and work well not the same as joy stick but simliar
Wii- motion controller
Ps3- tilit sensor the gbc had

Gamecube and xbox were more powerful than ps2. Now this current gen its

Ps3
Xbox 360
Wii

welcome to my video game knowledge

handhelds
Game boy - no color just black and white hand can go out for amount of time with battery
Game boy color- color and maybe smaller cartridges more battery power or be able to charge it.
Game boy advance- just better shape screen protected almost back light added. charging for a longer trip out of the house

PlayStation portable- first handheld to use angaole stick first to use mim disc on the move first to used a memory stick. and hardware and grapchis better than ds.

Daul screen aka:Ds/ds Smallest cartridges you wil lever see in life wifi game boy adavance at first back words capability touch screen you play the game and touch it on the bottom screen to beat the game.

Once the ligte came out gba die pretty much. and nintendo still owns sony in handheld market.

Forum List

Back