[VIDEO] ~ DHS Has installed license plate scanning cameras along sides of roads...

Reasoning

Apr 15, 2010
https://www.checkpointusa.org/blog/

Inch by inch...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F90wnuWo6jk]YouTube - ‪DEA/DHS/TOPD Surveillance Along AZ SR86‬‏[/ame]

In conjunction with the Tohono O'odham Police Department, the Drug Enforcement Agency recently installed a camera surveillance array system in the West bound traffic of SR86 in Southern Arizona. The location is close to the Border Patrol Checkpoint near mile marker 147 setup to seize all East bound traffic.

The camera array consists of six video cameras setup at various angles & heights for recording the outside & inside of vehicles passing by, including images of the driver & passengers along with two ELSAG AD3-FG automated license plate readers capable of recording the license plate of every vehicle passing by and cross-referencing the information associated with that license plate into a database for intelligence gathering and enforcement operations in real time.

In addition to the Department of Justice's DEA and the TOPD, the Border Patrol under the Department of Homeland Security is staged nearby at a checkpoint and substation to engage in real time enforcement operations on behalf of the DEA and TOPD.

All of this surveillance & enforcement activity is taking place well inside the country no where near an international border & absent any individualized suspicion whatsoever.

Fundamentally this is no different than a state trooper driving around and reading a license plate number off so someone can manually run it.

I don't see what your beef is.

Fundamentally this is no different than a state trooper driving around and reading a license plate number off so someone can manually run it.

Inch by inch...

So what is the line between "Safety" and "Too much surveillance"?

I used to think "well if you have nothing to hide, this shouldn't bother you". And that may be true if the government considers you innocent until proven guilty. Nowadays that's all turned around. The government wants to install cameras and checkpoints everywhere and they consider you Guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

It's called the 4th Amendment and if that's destroyed, the 1st and 2nd Amendments are soon to follow.

Yes, eventually these will be everywhere along with red light cameras along with surveillance cameras everywhere like London. People are afraid to turn right at a red light now for fear of the snapshot cameras that take a picture and say "pay up"

Its all for our safety and well-being of course.

The camera array consists of six video cameras setup at various angles & heights for recording the outside & inside of vehicles passing by, including images of the driver & passengers along with two ELSAG AD3-FG automated license plate readers capable of recording the license plate of every vehicle passing by and cross-referencing the information associated with that license plate into a database for intelligence gathering and enforcement operations in real time.

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind:

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind:

That's probably not going to work with these since there isn't a flash, just constant video recording.

So what is the line between "Safety" and "Too much surveillance"?

I used to think "well if you have nothing to hide, this shouldn't bother you". And that may be true if the government considers you innocent until proven guilty. Nowadays that's all turned around. The government wants to install cameras and checkpoints everywhere and they consider you Guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

It's called the 4th Amendment and if that's destroyed, the 1st and 2nd Amendments are soon to follow.

It's already been established that you have a lower expectation of privacy when on a public highway then you do if you are in your home. If the government tries to put up a camera to spy on your home without cause I would absolutely agree with you.

But I say it again, fundamentally this is nothing more than taking advantage of technology to lower the cost of something that is already being done, well and to make it possible to check more vehicles. The cameras can not see anything that a police officer positioned where they are would be able to see. In other words they can't see through metal. They can see what is visible through your windows and your license plate.

However folks? let us not forget that these roads are public, and Constitutionally? The Government may run them as they see fit. Wonder why clickit/Ticket exists? WHY Government says you must be liscensed, and have insurance to drive on public roads? See Article 1, Section 8 for further guidance...

Forum List

Back