[VIDEO] ~ Cops Taser Senior Citizen in His Own Home After He Tells Them To Leave...

If you were the police officer's supervisor would you fire this officer?

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Reasoning

Apr 15, 2010
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t29c1-YItU]YouTube - California Cops Taser Senior Citizen in His Own Home[/ame]

MARIN COUNTY, CA
On June 29, 2009 McFarland and his wife Pearl were returning home from a charity fundraiser just before midnight. McFarland injured himself as he stumbled and fell down the long steps to his front door.

"Mainly it was to my knee and the front of my leg, my shin," McFarland said.
His wife called paramedics, who helped him into the house and treated him. As the paramedics were leaving, two sheriff's deputies arrived.

"All of a sudden, they just showed up, they came in here like there was a fire going on, like a gunfight was going on," McFarland said.

What happened in the following minutes was captured on a camera mounted on the deputy's Taser.

The deputy tells McFarland he is going to take him to the hospital because he may be suicidal.

"We want to take you to the hospital for an evaluation, you said if you had a gun, you'd shoot yourself in the head," the deputy can be heard saying.

McFarland says it was just hyperbole. He was tired and in pain.

McFarland says he never had any suicidal thoughts. In fact, he considers himself lucky to be alive.

"I'm a survivor of pancreatic cancer; one of 4 percent in this country," McFarland said.

Scott says his client was arrested, jailed and charged with resisting arrest. A judge later dismissed the charge.

Scott says the deputies had no search warrant or legal reason to enter McFarland's home and even if they thought he was drunk and suicidal, Scott says the Tasing was excessive force.

If they had tried that with me they would have been shot.

All old people should be armed.
Old fart power!

CC permits should be free to people over 60 ;)

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_9ISolIDAU]YouTube - Cops Taser Senior In His Own Home For Disobeying Command[/ame]

There is a definite correlation between police abuse and the mindset of government obedience or else since 9/11.

Look, the cop who tazed the guy acted like an asshole. That's pretty clear. But there are facts we don't know and should before we jump to conclusions. This cop wasn't at the man's home because he was bored and monitored the EMT scanner...some supervisor sent him there, and likely stated the man was suicidal. Where that tidbit came from, who knows. Why the cops entered the man's home without permission, who knows? (How did they get in? Did the EMTs let them in? The wife?)

Not much about this story makes sense. Why did the EMTs leave if they believed the man was suicidal?

I think there's enough blame to go around. (I hope he sues them all.) And we shouldn't even joke about shooting cops...that's not very responsible of us (I laughed too).

The police can claim probable cause from the EMT's supposedly telling them over the radio that the guy was suicidal, hence in their small little minds they had all the excuse they needed to walk right in to that house. Factor in foolish pride, or in this case the cops inability to chalk up what he supposedly said to hyperbole and we simply end up with a contest of wills. In the contest of will between an ignorant pig with a gun and an unarmed citizen the pig always wins the first battle.

How can that be true, RC? If the cops hear from a credible source that someone is suicidal, they can make a warrantless entry? Can they bust down a locked door too? I'm confused. Why do cops get 5150 orders (pick up and hold for observation orders) then?

How can that be true, RC? If the cops hear from a credible source that someone is suicidal, they can make a warrantless entry? Can they bust down a locked door too? I'm confused. Why do cops get 5150 orders (pick up and hold for observation orders) then?

I'm not certain about pick up and hold for observation, but they can and will break down a door if they think they have probable cause to do so. I think the police in this instance acted by the book up until the taze, but at the same time they acted unwisely. Obviously, the deputy was young, and not well trained so we have that problem first, and foremost. A more experienced officer would have probably seen this for what it was instead of letting his anger dictate his actions. The older gentleman flunked the attitude test and that is really all it took. It is going to be an expensive lesson for the deputy, and I hope the lawsuit is successful because this is really the only sure means we have available to keep them honest.

It's also interesting to consider the mindset of a young police officer who has spent his entire, thinking life since late childhood surrounded by war and the encroaching police state apparatus thanks to 9/11. In his mind I'm sure this type of behavior is perfectly normal because that is what he has been conditioned to believe.

Last edited:
youtube has a shitload of these cops tazing videos....seems some cops are freaky with the non-lethal force thingies. I gotta admit, I can see the temptation.

I'd be a walking lawsuit as a cop.

Youtube has become a tool of jackboot abuse exposure which is a good thing. However, what is happening with cops taking away cameras and prosecuting people for videotaping is a serious threat to freedom that should not be taken lightly.

Youtube has become a tool of jackboot abuse exposure which is a good thing. However, what is happening with cops taking away cameras and prosecuting people for videotaping is a serious threat to freedom that should not be taken lightly.

Indeed.

One thing about living in a rural community most all the cops know me.
I was actually a deputy for a while.
It was when I was working with troubled vets, so I could have legal control of a situation when dealing with a few of my more troubled vets.
All the cops around had orders that if I was present I had full control of any situation involving my boys. And they were to immediately notify me of any situation involving my boys.

this happened because of a situation similar to what this thread is about.

Last edited:
If I was this guy, I would sue, not accept a settlement, and let the trial go to jury.

The county would be bankrupt after the jury sees this.

Look, the cop who tazed the guy acted like an asshole. That's pretty clear. But there are facts we don't know and should before we jump to conclusions. This cop wasn't at the man's home because he was bored and monitored the EMT scanner...some supervisor sent him there, and likely stated the man was suicidal. Where that tidbit came from, who knows. Why the cops entered the man's home without permission, who knows? (How did they get in? Did the EMTs let them in? The wife?)

Not much about this story makes sense. Why did the EMTs leave if they believed the man was suicidal?

I think there's enough blame to go around. (I hope he sues them all.) And we shouldn't even joke about shooting cops...that's not very responsible of us (I laughed too).

Good thinking. What you are saying here about why the cops were there, was the first thought I had on reading the OP. Looks like you were the first to pick it up.

The cops obviously DID have a legal reason for being in his house - they thought they had a potential suicide on their hands. Those are called exigent circumstances and serve as a justification for any police officer to enter any house without a warrant, probable cause or consent.

The guy's an old coot. Old coots can be very cranky. I am not one, of course, but I KNOW a number of them. Chances are the cops were in there legally and the old guy mouthed off at them. Still, I think the cops overreacted.

WTF??? "Old coot"? He was only 64, George!!!!

But I agree...it is best to try and remain calm when dealing with cops. They will "read" you differently than you intend if you act excitable.

Forum List

Back