[VIDEO] ~ Breaking: Adam Kokesh & others arrested & abused for dancing...

The police quietly asked him to stop dancing as per rules . His refusal to comply is what precipitated the entire ordeal. An honest person would recognize that fact.

Again, what rules? What law? When did Congress pass the law saying there shall be no dancing at national monuments? Then of course we have to declare what exactly constitutes dancing. From my point of view it looked more like Mr. Kokesh was having some sort of attack, not really dancing.

Sir, you're being obtuse. Congress doesn't have to have passed any laws. Good grief. The Jefferson monument is under the protection of Parks Services just as at any park, they set the rules. For instance, there is no rule that you can't go douse the eternal flame , but go try it and see what happens.............

They have rules about decorum and not disturbing other patrons. If you can't follow the rules, don't go to the parks.

Sir, you're being acute. Silently dancing doesn't disturb other patrons.

A U.S. District Court in January of 2010 ruled against dancers at the Memorial stemming from a 2008 arrest. The dancers had sued the National Park Service; it had dropped its charges of demonstrating without a permit and interfering with an agency function.

The federal lawyers wrote ““The Memorial is akin to a temple or a shrine (both in terms of its purpose and its physical characteristics), not a place of public expression.” They wrote “The Memorial is, has long been, and is intended to be a place of calm, tranquillity, and reverence—a place where visitors can go to celebrate and honor Jefferson and enjoy and contemplate the Memorial itself without the distraction of public demonstrations and other expressive activities.”

The lawyer for the dancers wrote that they were dancing to honor “the individualist spirit for which Jefferson is known.”

If the Memorial is a secular church, who can rightfully say that the people who built it and whose taxes support the government cannot, in a democracy, honor (or “worship”) the government’s saints in a manner of their own choosing? What authority has a right to proclaim that quiet reverence is the only allowable method of worship? Is there freedom of expression of one’s secular religion or is there not? Who can find a reason why it is right to support the quiet worship of some people at all times and never allow music and dancing as forms of expression and support of other people at other times? In real churches, we find all sorts of expression including dance, singing, clapping, shouting, call and response, improvisation, and so on. The churches of the state demand silent obedience. Get down on your knees and bow your heads to your human masters.

Court Case on the Jefferson Memorial Dancing « LewRockwell.com Blog

My friends and I like to slam dance, is it ok for me and a hundred or so people have a mosh pit in the Thomas Jefferson Memorial?

My friends and I like to slam dance, is it ok for me and a hundred or so people have a mosh pit in the Thomas Jefferson Memorial?

Would you do so silently without slamming the other guests at the memorial?

Would you do so silently without slamming the other guests at the memorial?

Once again, if you don't like the rules then don't go to the parks. It really is that simple.

I don't go to the federal temples because I think the deification of politicians is ridiculous, but since those temples are funded by the taxpayers I'm not opposed to the taxpayers having the freedom to express themselves as they see fit.

It was a accident, they should sue the government for allowing me to dance in the Thomas Jefferson Memorial

It was a accident, they should sue the government for allowing me to dance in the Thomas Jefferson Memorial

I suggest you take some personal responsibility. Of course this little scenario of yours isn't applicable to the real situation whatsoever. The people weren't "slam dancing" or "moshing" or whatever, they were dancing silently by themselves. At no point was anybody in danger of being harmed by the dancers.

I suggest you take some personal responsibility. Of course this little scenario of yours isn't applicable to the real situation whatsoever. The people weren't "slam dancing" or "moshing" or whatever, they were dancing silently by themselves. At no point was anybody in danger of being harmed by the dancers.
But if someone did accidently become in danger of being harmed by the dancers it would be the governments fault for allowing it.

Would it be wrong to dance in a public library?

Why does the left think the 1st Amendment only applies to disrespecting American tradition? Why not obey the lawful orders of Federal officers and ...stop dancing on the Jefferson Memorial on Memorial day? The concept is simple enough, why can't the left understand it?

But if someone did accidently become in danger of being harmed by the dancers it would be the governments fault for allowing it.

No, it would be the person who put the other person in danger's fault. However, that wasn't case, so your hypothetical is once again not applicable.

A public library is a completely different animal. For one they're funded locally so they would be governed by a different set of laws and/or rules.

Why does the left think the 1st Amendment only applies to disrespecting American tradition? Why not obey the lawful orders of Federal officers and ...stop dancing on the Jefferson Memorial on Memorial day? The concept is simple enough, why can't the left understand it?

And here's where we break down into the phony left-right paradigm. I know it's probably hard for you to understand, but not everyone sees things as being left or right. Some of us actually have a consistent set of principles.

Your freedom to have hundreds of people dance in the Thomas Jefferson Memorial, takes away everyone elses freedom to enjoy the Thomas Jefferson Memorial.

Hey, me and my family would like to lay down a blanket and have a picnic in the Thomas Jefferson Memorial, is that cool?

Your freedom to have hundreds of people dance in the Thomas Jefferson Memorial, takes away everyone elses freedom to enjoy the Thomas Jefferson Memorial.

Hey, me and my family would like to lay down a blanket and have a picnic in the Thomas Jefferson Memorial, is that cool?

No, it doesn't.

Knock yourself out. Try not to make a mess.

You just want to cause problems or you don't have common sence

You just want to cause problems or you don't have common sence

I'm not the one causing problems, and nor were the people peacefully and silently dancing. Also, I'm not usually one to criticize somebody's spelling, but since you want to insult me I have no problem pointing out that "sense" is spelled with an "s" not a "c." The reason you shouldn't go around insulting people on the internet, other than the fact that insulting people anywhere is rude, is that you inevitably make yourself look stupid. Such as questioning someone's common sense while continually spelling it wrong.

No, it would be the person who put the other person in danger's fault. However, that wasn't case, so your hypothetical is once again not applicable.

A public library is a completely different animal. For one they're funded locally so they would be governed by a different set of laws and/or rules.

How exactly is a library different?

PS - Most local libraries are in fact at least partially funded with state and federal funds :rofl:

Forum List

Back