Vick's comments after team voted him courages award

He paid his dues and then was offered a million plus and the adoration of his fans. If he had gotten a job bagibg nails omewhere I'd grant him a pass. But in in his prfession there's no humility and no redemption. But he'll screw up again. Maybe a second stint in jail might do the trick.

Not that I'm defending his criminal actions, but you'd probably feel the same way if you'd committed a crime, realized the errors in your ways, did your time, and came to find out that half the fucking civilized WORLD apparently thinks you're garbage from here on out no matter what you do.

The fact is, there are people who've committed much worse atrocities and not only didn't get NEARLY the amount of scrutiny as Vick did, but also were pretty damn near collectively forgiven. Even family members of murder victims often times will forgive the murderer. And that's PEOPLE we're talking about, not animals.

I mean shit, our own government allies itself with dictators who have killed COUNTLESS people. I don't see much public outcry about THAT. But god forbid a professional football player kills dogs and then plays football for money again after doing his time in prison.

Agreed. He got hammered. You get caught fighting dogs around here, you mostly just get fined.

Not saying doing it is okay. I'm saying he got punished for his name, not his crime.

Handing out a fine for torturing animals is a travesty of justice but what would you expect from a state like Texas. Vick's sentence was too short. It also seems he was not cured of whatever psychological defect led him to become an animal torturer.

Somalia Takes Issue with Michael Vick's Ed Block Courage Award | Bleacher Report

Does Vick see himself as some kind of martyr? I was in the guys corner when many didn't want to see him play again, but he seems to think he is the victim.

GET REAL VICK!
From the article:
"And to add insult to injury, this is what Vick had to say about receiving the award:
"I've had to overcome a lot, probably more than one single individual can handle or can bear. You take a look at what I've been through, you ask certain people to walk in my shoes, they probably couldn't do it. Probably 95 percent of the people in this world—because nobody had to endure what I've been through, situations I've been put in, situations I've placed myself in."

When asked for a comment about Vick's award and statement 7-year-old leukemia patient Sarah Davis summed it up best, "F*ck you." "

Just because worse things happen in the world doesn't make the abuse and killing of other animals somehow "acceptable".

If Michael Vick truely regretted his actions, I'd like to see evidence of that. Thus far he has accepted no responsibility for what he did to those dogs nor any remorse. Vick was involved in an extensive interstate dog fighting ring that operated over a period of five or more years. He was sentanced to 23 months and served only 18 months, some of that in home confinement. He pled "not guilty" to animal cruelty charges but those charges were eventually dropped in a plea bargain and he was convicted only of bankrolling a dogfighting conspiracy so the court and the public never got to here the details of what he did. Somehow, I think if they had and if they had seen the pictures they might not be so forgiving.

Many professionals lose their licenses when they are convicted of felonies and can never again practice in their professions. Football players, however, do not seem to suffer much of a penalty.

Michael Vick's unpaid dues: Why dog advocates aren't moving on

"The details that got to me then and stay with me today involve the swimming pool that was used to kill some of the dogs" Reynolds wrote on her blog. "Jumper cables were clipped onto the ears of underperforming dogs then just like with a car the cables were connected to the terminals of car batteries before lifting and tossing the shamed dogs into the water."

What a whiner. I don't think Vick feels he did anything wrong at all.

michael-vick-pit-bull.jpg

That is disgusting. I hope someone kicks Vick's ass over that for the rest of his natural born miserable existance! Jeezsus.

Somalia Takes Issue with Michael Vick's Ed Block Courage Award | Bleacher Report

Does Vick see himself as some kind of martyr? I was in the guys corner when many didn't want to see him play again, but he seems to think he is the victim.

GET REAL VICK!
From the article:
"And to add insult to injury, this is what Vick had to say about receiving the award:
"I've had to overcome a lot, probably more than one single individual can handle or can bear. You take a look at what I've been through, you ask certain people to walk in my shoes, they probably couldn't do it. Probably 95 percent of the people in this world—because nobody had to endure what I've been through, situations I've been put in, situations I've placed myself in."

When asked for a comment about Vick's award and statement 7-year-old leukemia patient Sarah Davis summed it up best, "F*ck you." "

Little girls named Sarah are fiesty huh? :lol::clap2:

GET REAL VICK!
From the article:

:lol: Is that true???

You think Vick was just referring to what he's "been through" with the dog situation or does he have all sorts of other personal baggage on his mind???

Not that I'm defending his criminal actions, but you'd probably feel the same way if you'd committed a crime, realized the errors in your ways, did your time, and came to find out that half the fucking civilized WORLD apparently thinks you're garbage from here on out no matter what you do.

The fact is, there are people who've committed much worse atrocities and not only didn't get NEARLY the amount of scrutiny as Vick did, but also were pretty damn near collectively forgiven. Even family members of murder victims often times will forgive the murderer. And that's PEOPLE we're talking about, not animals.

I mean shit, our own government allies itself with dictators who have killed COUNTLESS people. I don't see much public outcry about THAT. But god forbid a professional football player kills dogs and then plays football for money again after doing his time in prison.
Then there are those people who are found guilty of a crime they did not commit and spend years sometimes decades in jail. Then DNA or some new evidence is brought forward to prove their innocence and they are released. Many of these people come out saying they are just glad to have their freedom back and that they have no hard feelings, no bitterness about what happened to them.

These people have my admiration and sympathy. I gave Vick the benefit of the doubt when he was released. I thought his sentence was too lenient but I thought that he had every right to try to go back to playing football. Now I think he is truly a despicable person. I can't comprehend why he would be given this award in the first place. Doing so seems to imply that those who run profession football not only excuse violence and criminality, they applaud it.

GET REAL VICK!
From the article:

You think Vick was just referring to what he's "been through" with the dog situation or does he have all sorts of other personal baggage on his mind???
I was just quoting from the article but it seems plausible.

Yeah, I wondered also what he was referring to specifically. I think he was referring to both. I don't know what his childhood was like but regardless, he's sounding like he's got a big chip on his shoulder and becoming a success as an overpaid professional athlete was not compensation enough for him.

From the article:

Yeah, I wondered also what he was referring to specifically. I think he was referring to both. I don't know what his childhood was like but regardless, he's sounding like he's got a big chip on his shoulder and becoming a success as an overpaid professional athlete was not compensation enough for him.

I was just reading his bio and it doesn't seem like there was anything too terrible in his childhood or anything...The quote just made me wonder if there was more to it...NOT to make excuses for him at all, but just maybe understand wtf he said THAT in this context.
JockBio: Michael Vick Biography

As one writer pointed out, he did show maybe a smidgen of remorse by acknowledging his own responsibility, at the very least.

When you talk to Vick, it sometimes takes him a minute to get to the key point: situations I’ve placed myself in. That is what rankles for some, still, that minute it sometimes takes. But it is all part of a longer process.

Anyway, Vick said, “The thing I told Roger [Goodell] was that, 4 or 5 years from now, when I come to him, I’ll be able to say everything I told you I was going to do, I’m still doing it. That’s what I pride myself on. That’s my focus and that’s my goal.”

That might have seemed a more appropriate time for an award such as this one, not now. Then again, this is all about a bond within a locker room, a place that none of us can hope to understand from the outside.
Did Vick Deserve Courage Award? - The Fifth Down Blog - NYTimes.com

I totally believe in forgiveness and redemption...when the offender is repentant. I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that Vick is repentant. Perhaps he would still be torturing dogs today if had not been caught.

Using the logic that if someone hadn't been caught, they'd still be committing their crimes, is ridiculous.

It takes GETTING CAUGHT, most of the time, to realize your errors. It's that part that sometimes is required for one to finally open their eyes.

How anyone thinks the guy hasn't repented yet is beyond me. He's made public apologies, and has spent his time so far on the right side of the law.

Now unless there's someone here that follows him around 24/7, none of you know whether or not he's been spending time at church for instance, repenting to his higher power.

So far the guy hasn't committed another crime. That is called PROGRESS.

Give the fucking guy some TIME for crying out loud. You don't reform in a matter of MONTHS. It's a long process of regaining the collective trust. Either you will never trust him again, or eventually you will come to see that he's earned it back. There's really nothing in between.

I can see who in this thread has abandoned the idea of ever trusting him again. Some have already mapped out his future. That's pretty neat :thup:

I was just reading his bio and it doesn't seem like there was anything too terrible in his childhood or anything...The quote just made me wonder if there was more to it...NOT to make excuses for him at all, but just maybe understand wtf he said THAT in this context.

As one writer pointed out, he did show maybe a smidgen of remorse by acknowledging his own responsibility, at the very least.

When you talk to Vick, it sometimes takes him a minute to get to the key point: situations I’ve placed myself in. That is what rankles for some, still, that minute it sometimes takes. But it is all part of a longer process.

Anyway, Vick said, “The thing I told Roger [Goodell] was that, 4 or 5 years from now, when I come to him, I’ll be able to say everything I told you I was going to do, I’m still doing it. That’s what I pride myself on. That’s my focus and that’s my goal.”

That might have seemed a more appropriate time for an award such as this one, not now. Then again, this is all about a bond within a locker room, a place that none of us can hope to understand from the outside.
He sounds like a complicated guy, to say the least.

He did his time. He will continue to make more money than all of his haters (especially the ones in here) and go on with the American dream.

God Bless America.

He sounds like a complicated guy, to say the least.

Most likely he's just um.........not very smart. :lol:

:lol: From the bio I linked to above:

Michael's biggest challenge in his first year of college was homesickness. Most nights were spent on the phone with his mother. He begged Brenda to bring him home

:rofl: :eusa_boohoo: :eusa_angel:

I totally believe in forgiveness and redemption...when the offender is repentant. I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that Vick is repentant. Perhaps he would still be torturing dogs today if had not been caught.

Using the logic that if someone hadn't been caught, they'd still be committing their crimes, is ridiculous.

It takes GETTING CAUGHT, most of the time, to realize your errors. It's that part that sometimes is required for one to finally open their eyes.

How anyone thinks the guy hasn't repented yet is beyond me. He's made public apologies, and has spent his time so far on the right side of the law.

Now unless there's someone here that follows him around 24/7, none of you know whether or not he's been spending time at church for instance, repenting to his higher power.

Give the fucking guy some TIME for crying out loud. You don't reform in a matter of MONTHS. It's a long process of regaining the collective trust. Either you will never trust him again, or eventually you will come to see that he's earned it back. There's really nothing in between.

I can see who in this thread has abandoned the idea of ever trusting him again. Some have already mapped out his future. That's pretty neat :thup:

You make some good points.

But I still think he should never be allowed to own a dog again. Even if there is a chance he could be rehabilitated to the point of never being a danger to animals again, I think it's best to err on the side of safety of animals.

You say:

"none of you know whether or not he's been spending time at church for instance, repenting to his higher power."

That would hold no sway with me. In fact, it would make me somewhat suspicious. Too many people think they can make a plea for forgiveness to some imaginary higher power and that that wipes their slate clean.

GET REAL VICK!
From the article:

Little girls named Sarah are fiesty huh? :lol::clap2:

Yeah, there's some real class. Maybe you want to kick her parents' asses for letting her talk that way?

Nah ... it's okay if you agree with the ignorant message.

Then there are those people who are found guilty of a crime they did not commit and spend years sometimes decades in jail. Then DNA or some new evidence is brought forward to prove their innocence and they are released. Many of these people come out saying they are just glad to have their freedom back and that they have no hard feelings, no bitterness about what happened to them.

These people have my admiration and sympathy. I gave Vick the benefit of the doubt when he was released. I thought his sentence was too lenient but I thought that he had every right to try to go back to playing football. Now I think he is truly a despicable person. I can't comprehend why he would be given this award in the first place. Doing so seems to imply that those who run profession football not only excuse violence and criminality, they applaud it.

His sentence was nowhere near lenient.

:lol: From the bio I linked to above:

Michael's biggest challenge in his first year of college was homesickness. Most nights were spent on the phone with his mother. He begged Brenda to bring him home
:rofl: :eusa_boohoo: :eusa_angel:

Oh, come on!!!! Our hearts should go out to him. He's a sensitive guy! He wuvs his mommy! :lol:

But seriously, if he was suffering from some form of depression I would never laugh at him for that. I kind of suspect though, that he's just an immature, self pitying, not too bright sociopath.

How many times do you have to be told that once you break a trust it is almost impossible to gain it back? You might get lip service but the people never ever trust you again.

Forum List

Back