Vice Presidents that should have become Presidents, there are lots to choose from

Jun 26, 2005
Ontario, Canada eh?
I would pick Nelson A. Rockefeller as the best vice president that should have been president in his political life. He had a very good record as governor of New York (1959-1973). He put in place the strictest drug laws, and he helped to develop New York into a modren state.

As Vice President, he presided over a Presidential Commission in 1975 that was investigating the CIA and some of its covert activities. At its conclusion he said that "the CIA has engaged in a number of plainly unlawful programs". But the report was filed away and no one faced any legal consequences.

He would have been a great Liberal Republican President if his Presidental campaigns in either 60, 64, or 68 suceeded. Shame he was never picked.

Big Blue Machin said:
I would pick Nelson A. Rockefeller as the best vice president that should have been president in his political life. He had a very good record as governor of New York (1959-1973). He put in place the strictest drug laws, and he helped to develop New York into a modren state.

As Vice President, he presided over a Presidential Commission in 1975 that was investigating the CIA and some of its covert activities. At its conclusion he said that "the CIA has engaged in a number of plainly unlawful programs". But the report was filed away and no one faced any legal consequences.

He would have been a great Liberal Republican President if his Presidental campaigns in either 60, 64, or 68 suceeded. Shame he was never picked.

:laugh: I think this is the most interesting 1st and 2nd posts I've ever read. Tell more...

Big Blue Machin said:
What do you mean interesting, and tell you more about Rocky?
Yeah, like why he would have made a great President.

Big Blue Machin said:
I don't know what he specifically would have done, but his record in New York is a good one. He modernized New York into a superstate. He cracked down on druggies.

NY was 'superstate' since early 1800's. So he was a good governor? How would that translate to good president in 70's?

Big Blue Machin said:
I can't explain specifically, but I have a feeling that he would have been a good one. I'm sorry if that answer isn't good enough for you.

That's ok. I understand IF you are really 17. With that said, a word of advice, research the subject before throwing out there. Not so important on message board, but pretty embarassing in college forum...

Rockefellers were BIG money. They have more than the Kennedy's and have had it for a very long time. Sorry but he would not have made a good president. Its another reason Ford didn't go anywhere.

The old saying back in the 60's for someone spending a lot of money was " What? are you a Rockefeller?" He was too rich to ever be considered properly by the American people. Especially in a time when liberals ruled.

Vice presidents are picked by the presidential canidate. They are voted on as a team, but no one other than the canidate has a choice of who the running mate will be. Most often they are picked for the region of the country they represent rather than their ability to be a president. Most don't even know whats going on unless the president takes them into his confidence. They are not presidents in training. They are standbys in case someone needs to step in and take the riegns. And to often in history the ones that did were incompetant and handled it all wrong.

Fair enough, Richard Nison picked Spiro Agnew because Nixon was insecure and needed a Vice President that wouldn't dominate over him.

But do you people have any idea for Vice Presidents that should have been Presidents?

Any VPs that didn't become President over the last fifty years or so probably didn't need to be President.

Nixon: Eventually elected President.
Johnson: Became President.
Humphrey: HA!
Agnew: No, not a good idea.
Ford: Became President.
Rockefeller: I don't know. Can't make much of a case for him.
Mondale: AACCCKKK!
H.W. Bush: Elected President.
Quayle: No, I think VP was as far as he needed to go.
Gore: No, thank you.
Cheney: Doesn't want it anyway.

There might be somebody earlier on that would have made a good president, but I don't know of one off the top of my head.

I still think he would have made a good president. He proved to be a strong leader when he refused to negotiate the prisioners in New York's Attica penitentiary, and called the state police to storm the prision.

The best Vice President to never become President...interesting. In this century, I'd probably pick Alben Barkley, Truman's VP. I honestly believe Al Gore would have been a good President, certainly better than Bush.

Another interesting question is which 20th or 21st century presidential also-ran would've been the best President. I have two picks for this one - Jacob Cox, who ran against Warren Harding, and Adlai Stevenson who ran against Eisenhower.

acludem

Forum List

Back