VHS is better than DVD or Blue Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
VHS was rubbish when it was popular. The only good thing would have been melting the expensive chrome ones and using the metal to make stainless steel! LOL

I am usually about 5 years behind the curve.

Just got DSL after 10 years of dial-up. (could never go back..........)

Still not sure WTF Blu-Ray is.............................

Not sure if I would know high def if I saw it.................

You're not sure what blu-ray is, but are convinced that, without knowing what it is, something else is better than it.

Wow.

Your intellectual curiosity is a wonder to behold.

You're not sure what blu-ray is, but are convinced that, without knowing what it is, something else is better than it.

Wow.

Your intellectual curiosity is a wonder to behold.

Blue-Ray is Hi-def DVD. You can't play Blue Ray disks in a DVD player - you have to buy a Blue Ray player.

But you can play DVD disks in a Blue Ray player.

Still not sure I could tell hi-def from conventional if I saw it.

You knew color from black and white in the 60s.

Last edited:
Good. Clearly you have befriended a search engine.

Shouln't have to go into a video store and
ask some clerk where there hi-def TVs are.........................

should be obvious

i cant tell the diff from "conventional"

I have a 17 inch screen combo all-in-one TV/VCR recorder/player/DVD player hooked up to basic cable -incl Turner Classic Movies and ESPN Classic (still can't record DVDs)

And a separate TV with a digital converter box - hooked up to a VCR - to get other stuff. (like Antenna TV, Retro TV, This TV as well as the usual over-the-air channels)

Can still buy blank VHS tapes from Maxell online to record on.

Buy them 30 at-a-time.

Have all I need. Good to go..................

DVDs will still be around for awhile before they become extint...................

Last edited:
I like VHS better because DVDS scratch too damn easily and when they do the DVD is ruined and DVD's player break too damn easily, you can have a VHS player last for decades.

VHS has it's advantages in that you can literally pop it in the machine, hit record and off you go. Dvds need to load first and format so there is a waiting period of a few minutes (at most). You need to be aware of what you want to record so you can give yourself a 5 minute lead.

When the kids were littler and I couldn't hold my eyes open (this is pre on-line anything) I used to record shows that came on at ten o'clock at night then watch them at my convenience. In particular, I recorded ER. The past 3 years or so the quality of the recording was utter crap. I didn't even realize how bad it was until I had to replace the machine and got a dvd player. Holy cow! I don't need hi-def -- at times I think hi-def is too clear. I don't need to know how many pores anyone has on their face -- but the quality of a dvd recording is far superior to that of vhs. Also, vhs is linear so you fast forward or rewind but that's it. Dvds let you jump around easier.

The one thing that I despise about the whole 'digital conversion' blarg? That you need to jump through hoops to record one show while watching another. Oh sure, sure you could go the dvr route . . . but why should I have to rent that when I could own a recorder? Doesn't make sense to me to pay for a dvr rental, especially if recording programs is infrequent. What used to be nothing more than setting a timer and pushing a button or two has now become a 12-15 step process that involves 3 remotes, two digital boxes (an On Demand one and a dta), a dvd recorder and an a/b video switch. For all the bells and whistles of digital it took a huge step backwards as far as recording goes. Oh, and you can't record different channels at different times unless you physically change the channel you are recording. Some 'advancement'.

I understand your fondness of the vhs. I'd suggest you have a backup recorder or two because they are hard to find. I had trouble finding a dvd recorder with rf in/rf out and ended up buying a refurbished one. I'm sure by the time the recorders we have die we'll be forced to go the dvr route or Netflix or watch strictly on-line. My oldest (college kid) doesn't understand the big deal about just watching everything on-line. Yeah, get back to me when you're sharing a computer with other people and you'd like the convenience of stretching across your bed and watching your show on a 32" or more screen vs. ear buds and a 15" monitor. Pfftttt, kids. lol

You would know hi-def if you saw it, especially if you were playing a blu-ray disc (a hi-def DVD, essentially). It is f#cking amazing. Especially if you watch nature discs like "Planet Earth.' It will blow your mind. Seriously. It looks like it is real. You have to see it for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back