VFW demands apology after host says he's 'uncomfortable' calling fallen soldiers hero

The little weasel should apologize.

He didn't say anything he needs to apologize for. The VFW leadership needs to apologize for bringing politics into this.

the little wormy weasel needs to apologize.
You should apologize for misrepresenting what he said and dishonestly leaving this out of his quote!
Shame on YOU!!!!!

I don't want to obviously desecrate or disrespect memory of anyone that's fallen
- Chris Hayes

It seems he apologized anyway. Oh well, I would have stood by my statements but then again I do not have a lucrative contract with a major media company.

A WWII vet I know says we have no business being in Iraq and Afghanistan. Does THAT make him a "pimp faced moron"?
Or are only vets allowed to criticize the Military and its soldiers actions nowadays?

Is it really that complicated a thought process to recognize the difference between "I don't agree with THIS war" and "I don't think fallen soldiers are heroes"?

Pretty sure THAT is the sort of thing that qualifies one as a "pimp-faced moron".

He didn't say anything he needs to apologize for. The VFW leadership needs to apologize for bringing politics into this.

You should apologize for misrepresenting what he said and dishonestly leaving this out of his quote!
Shame on YOU!!!!!

I don't want to obviously desecrate or disrespect memory of anyone that's fallen
- Chris Hayes

I didn't leave them out pus pocket. All you had to do was follow the link and read the op.. it was in there the whole time. Shame on ewe.

I also get tired of the VFW using veterans for their politics. Seems the speaker in question was telling of his thoughts regarding the use of the word hero, and to me it meant some kind of thought process taking place, the man was thinking and maybe that's what disturbs some, rather than just the platitudes, slogans, adages and so on that so often go with veterans, wars and the military.

Yeah, well, I get tired of the NAACP using blacks for their politics. :cuckoo:

I think some people are trying too hard to justify this.

Shame on YOU!!!!!

- Chris Hayes

I didn't leave them out pus pocket. All you had to do was follow the link and read the op.. it was in there the whole time. Shame on ewe.
But YOU did leave it out of your post. You quoted only the parts of your link that deliberately mislead. To any honest person reading the whole quote without the hateful CON$ervoFascist commentary interspersed among bits of his words it is clear that he is talking about the abuse of the use of WORDS. He made it eminently clear that he was not talking about the soldiers!!!!!
Again, shame on you.

A top veterans group called Monday for an "immediate and unequivocal apology" after an MSNBC host said on the eve of Memorial Day that it makes him "uncomfortable" to describe fallen soldiers as heroes.
Chris Hayes made the comment while kicking off a panel discussion Sunday on his show, "Up With Chris Hayes."
He noted it's "very difficult to talk about the war dead and the fallen without invoking valor, without invoking the words 'heroes.'"
Hayes tried to explain why that makes him uneasy: "I feel ... uncomfortable about the word hero because it seems to me that it is so rhetorically proximate to justifications for more war."
Veterans of Foreign Wars, in addition to a throng of conservative bloggers and groups, slammed Hayes for being so conflicted about the term.

Read more: VFW demands apology after host says he's 'uncomfortable' calling fallen soldiers heroes | Fox News

The saddest part of this incident is that the moronic wanna be morally superior liberal has benefited from all those heroes (makes him uncomfortable) deaths.

Their deaths allow him to spew such bile in such an insensitive way on the eve of Memorial Day.

The bastard really doesn't get it.

Tell us how he benefited from those 4000+ American lives thrown away in Iraq.

I also get tired of the VFW using veterans for their politics. Seems the speaker in question was telling of his thoughts regarding the use of the word hero, and to me it meant some kind of thought process taking place, the man was thinking and maybe that's what disturbs some, rather than just the platitudes, slogans, adages and so on that so often go with veterans, wars and the military.

Yeah, well, I get tired of the NAACP using blacks for their politics. :cuckoo:

I think some people are trying too hard to justify this.

Is that your comparison? 98% of blacks agree with the NAACP.

No it's not, it's free speech.

P.S. Women die fighting in war, also.
Free speech used in an abusive way against American men and women who died for our nation is not protected by the 5th Amendment after a point.

Yes it is. Look at the Westboro Baptist Church case.
I had already thought of them before I responded.

I happen to agree with Justice Alito in the Westboro Baptist Church case. He may have been the lone dissenter, but his statement draws the delicate line between free speech and speech that damages someone else.

Political correctness was not known by the Founders and most Americans. If something was wrong, it was corrected. Raising a ruckus while services are being held is wrong and deserves jail time. I believe that speech has consequences, and the WBC suffered no consequences in their assurance that political correctness would give them an edge in making their point to the horrification of people already in a state of unspeakable grief.

did you hear obama's speech today? he was chastising those who treated the vietnam vets with dissrespect. You know who those people were? They were the anit war LEFT.

So if the left is anti-war-does that make the right pro-war?
Someone should chastise those who treated the Vietnam vets with disrespect, the problem was the anti-war left should have been giving the leadership the disrespect, not the vets.
Leadership often use all the patriotic gimmicks to send Americans int0 danger with any thought-process drowned out with band music, flag waving and patriotic speeches. Never mind if the war is worth the cost or not.

How many times has that Lee Greenwood song been trotted out by the republicans to sell a war? Three times I've counted so far. The man ought to be ashamed of himself for allowing his song to have been co-opted by the war hawks in their quest for permanent war. Proud to be an American my ass, if he had an ounce of real pride he would not allow any political organization to use it for any reason whatsoever. It's the kind of thing I think Chris Hayes was talking about, we allowed ourselves to be sold a great open-ended patriotic war with evil terrorists with a load of false flag waving nationalist bullshit put on by men who wanted no more than a fat war contract.

A WWII vet I know says we have no business being in Iraq and Afghanistan. Does THAT make him a "pimp faced moron"?
Or are only vets allowed to criticize the Military and its soldiers actions nowadays?

Does that WWII veteran feel uncomfortable calling the people who died in those wars heroes?

Is it really that complicated a thought process to recognize the difference between "I don't agree with THIS war" and "I don't think fallen soldiers are heroes"?

Pretty sure THAT is the sort of thing that qualifies one as a "pimp-faced moron".

It becomes a sticky situation though, at least for me. Do we automatically call every soldier who died in combat a "hero", regardless of the circumstances behind the combat? That would seem to denigrate the term "hero".

I don't know, maybe I'm just being too literal with the word "hero". But dying in a combat situation that has not one thing to do with our country seems unfortunate and unnecessary, not heroic. We should always try to keep our troops in the highest regard, but throwing around the word "hero", just because it makes us feel better about what we put them through, is a token gesture compared to what we took away from them by sending them into combat.

You really want to hold the troops in the highest regard possible? Bring them home and stop sending them into needless combat situations like they're disposable objects, just because we don't like the guy running a certain country.

I read what the guy quoted and I took it to mean that far too often the reverence we all feel for the ultimate sacrifice of our young men and women is sullied by politics and overused by the pro war crowd. Their deaths should never, ever be used to glorify war itself, it should be something that every single one of us considers a last resort.

Do you also read tea leaves?

Did you miss the point?

Being against the war(s) does not equate to an unease in calling fallen soldiers heroes.

I read what the guy quoted and I took it to mean that far too often the reverence we all feel for the ultimate sacrifice of our young men and women is sullied by politics and overused by the pro war crowd. Their deaths should never, ever be used to glorify war itself, it should be something that every single one of us considers a last resort.

I'll leave the superstition to the people who believe in the invisible hand.

I'll leave the superstition to the people who believe in the invisible hand.
What does Ginsberg have to do with the conversation?

Forum List

Back