Veterinarians Are My # 1 Enemy

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Why ? Because they (and their lobbying group, American Veterinary Medical Association, are responsible for the deaths of thousands of cats and dogs every year. They are also (partially) responsible for the large number of dogs and cats who sit in animal shelters, not being adopted. And this leads to more dogs and cats losing their lives, when shelters become overwhelmed by many more animals than they can handle.

What should/could veterinarians be doing to fix this mess ? They could/should take pet medical insurance the same way that human doctors/hospitals take medical insurance for humans. By just taking the insurance card, verifying it, and immediately administering the care (ultrasound, X-Ray, surgery, etc), covered by the insurance.

Unfortunately, veterinarians generally require payment up front before any care is given, causing thousands of potential pet owners to never become pet owners, and the animals continue to sit in shelters unadopted (or are even euthanized).

Last edited:
Veterinary care is expensive!!! I use to have much of my pets care covered but not now.
I took one of my older dogs in last week. He has a huge variety of issues. There was no way I could afford the total of what they recommended. I had the exam, blood work done and meds to keep him comfortable. Hes not ready to be put down but I sure don't want him in pain.
Pet insurance is confusing. You get very little out of what you pay in. I wont berate veterinarians because I know how hard they work...but much of what you said is true.

Veterinary care is expensive!!! I use to have much of my pets care covered but not now.
I took one of my older dogs in last week. He has a huge variety of issues. There was no way I could afford the total of what they recommended. I had the exam, blood work done and meds to keep him comfortable. Hes not ready to be put down but I sure don't want him in pain.
Pet insurance is confusing. You get very little out of what you pay in. I wont berate veterinarians because I know how hard they work...but much of what you said is true.
The veterinarian that I used to go to says 1% of their patients have pet insurance, Sure, when you have to pay up front, and nobody has the money - why pay the $30/month if you're not going to be able to use it ?

Why ? Because they (and their lobbying group, American Veterinary Medical Association, are responsible for the deaths of thousands of cats and dogs every year. They are also (partially) responsible for the large number of dogs and cats who sit in animal shelters, not being adopted. And this leads to more dogs and cats losing their lives, when shelters become overwhelmed by many more animals than they can handle.

What should/could veterinarians be doing to fix this mess ? They could/should take pet medical insurance the same way that human doctors/hospitals take medical insurance for humans. By just taking the insurance card, verifying it, and immediately administering the care (ultrasound, X-Ray, surgery, etc), covered by the insurance.

Unfortunately, veterinarians generally require payment up front before any care is given, causing thousands of potential pet owners to never become pet owners, and the animals continue to sit in shelters unadopted (or are even euthanized).
I was shocked to learn a shelter not far from here is now charging $350 for a puppy 8 wks to 6 mos. old. Older pets are less.
You might as well buy a pedigreed dog from a pet shop. (Yes, I know about puppy mills and that they're bad, but cost wise, for that much money to get a mutt, why not spend another couple hundred and get a poodle?)

I was shocked to learn a shelter not far from here is now charging $350 for a puppy 8 wks to 6 mos. old. Older pets are less.
You might as well buy a pedigreed dog from a pet shop. (Yes, I know about puppy mills and that they're bad, but cost wise, for that much money to get a mutt, why not spend another couple hundred and get a poodle?)
There is a solution to this. People need to not pay these exorbitant prices. When sales go down, so do prices.

There is a solution to this. People need to not pay these exorbitant prices. When sales go down, so do prices.

But your first post was saying that people are not paying these prices- which is responsible for the dooming of pets.

Why do you think that veterinarians ask for payment up front? (which by the way was not our experience- our veternarian did demand payment before we left)

Veterinarians are running a business, not a charity. If you can't afford the expense of caring for a pet, don't have a pet. It makes no sense to blame the vets for the problem of unwanted or uncared for pet animals. It is perfectly reasonable for vets to expect to be paid for their services at the time of the service. I have insurance on my dogs. That is not the vet's concern, it is mine. I pay the vet for the service, then submit the paperwork to the insurance co. Again, if that is too difficult, don't have a pet.

Bernie Sanders says; "Free healthcare for animals!"

Over the years, I've had a couple of vets save my pet's life when I couldn't pay it all at once--for hospitalization/surgery and once for extensive tests and treatment. I was prepared to pay for annual shots, visits for minor problems, but it has become increasingly expensive--now over $100 just for the annual exam and shots update. I couldn't afford a $2,000 vet bill for emergency surgery--and I'm sure some are higher than that. Does that mean if you haven't got several thou laying around as fun money that you shouldn't have a dog or cat?
Maybe it does. It's a shame, though.

It's a choice. Some people sock away money for vacations or parties. Some sock money away for the inevitable expense of caring for an animal.

Forum List

Back