Veterans, Retirees

MikeK, I think you are referring to 2000. Yeah, I supported him the best I could until he went to war with Iraq, but I never, ever pulled the crap of the Far Right or the Far Left here.

We are a Rule of Law nation, not of Man, period.

And when the electoral process doesn't work owing to corruption by corporate money or oligarchical influence, or by outright fraud or vote-rigging, or by arbitrary judicial proclamation -- such as that which installed George W. Bush as President in 2008, who would you support then?

Don't go quoting "the rule of freaking law" when you ain't got a clue. We lost about 50,000 Troops in a conflict in Korea that wasn't authorized by Congress and then another democrat administration lost another 50,000 Troops in a conflict in VietNam that wasn't authorized by congress and ignorant fools still think Truman and LBJ are icons because that's what the liberal media told them to think. Bill Clinton bombed a defenseless country into the stone age without congressional permission and Barry Hussein assassinated an American citizen and God knows how many innocent people in Libya without congressional permission.The liberal media won't remind you that George Bush had bipartisan authorization from Congress for boots on the ground in Iraq and then democrats pretended they were part of the jihad and undermined the mission.

Whew! Your ignorance of history is appalling.

What was mentioned was keeping the government for, by and of the people -- not by politicians in Washington. What's happening now in the US is not in the best interests of its citizens...... What democrats claim is nothing but falsehoods.....

We elect those politicians. We RE-elect them too. Every 2 years, we have an opportunity to toss out the entire House of Representatives and 1/3 of the Senate. In every 4 year period (2 election cycles), we can overturn the entire federal government except 1/3 of the Senate if we want to and we can get that last third 2 years later.

But, we don't do that, do we? We send who WE want to Washington and then reward most of them with additional terms because we like the job they've done. If we did not, they wouldn't win re-election. If the nation is heading in the wrong direction, we can still reverse course anytime we like. But, since we haven't done that, doesn't it stand to reason that the majority of us are happy with the direction? Since we have the power to alter course but have not chosen to do so, what does that tell you?

The point is that our government DOES express the Will of The People or it would not exist in its present form. Just because YOU don't like what The People want doesn't mean the government is somehow illegitimate or disconnected from Us. It just means your position on the issues does not enjoy broad public support. Deal with it. That's how democracy works.

I'm always amused at how many people use the excuse that big money has separated "the government" from The People, that the federal government is somehow separate and distinct from The People, that it is a stand alone entity. Such thinking reveals a criminal misunderstanding of the Constitution and how our government works....and why. Do you simpletons not understand that WE are the government! WE hold the reigns of power in this country and always will, unless some knuckleheads decide to change our form of government to suit themselves. Do you not know that whatever the government does, at any level, is because THAT'S WHAT WE THE PEOPLE WANT! Don't like what The People want? Tough.

Let me ask you this: How many times has a lobbyist or politician or Super-Pac followed you into the voting booth and forced to vote against your will? Never! NEVER! No amount of money, no amount of influence, no person or cabal of persons can make you vote the way you do. When you enter that voting booth, you are free to reject their counsel, free to vote however you want on any issue or for anybody running. Nobody can "buy" an election unless you are selling. The idea that somebody else other than The People are running the government is a lie based upon ignorance. The system DOES STILL DELIVER THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE because we are still free to elect anybody we like, espousing any policies we like.

Until that is no longer true, you budding revolutionaries are barking up the wrong tree.

Last edited:
The framers gave the people only the power to replace one half of one of the three branches of government, and even that power was restricted by most states to those that owned property.

First off, please do not automatically make a decision about what I'm about to write. Consider it and let me know; constructively.....

I've been retired from the Air Force for 8 1/2 years, and have grown quite disappointed with our elected officials. In a nutshell, several founding fathers are quoted as saying it is our right to remove a government (such as what's happening now), and replace the broken government with one (likely the same principles, etc) that will work. Clean up many of the past legislation regarding Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, military benefits etc., and put people in office who actually care about the people.
The way things are going now, we will have NO military to defend our country since Clinton caused a drastic decrease in manning, the Bush administrations continued the "war", and now we're sending more troops out to defend embassies abroad. If the locals don't want us, then we withdraw, rather than try to remain in place. We have to be able to defend this country.
If this adminstration continues on course, I feel it's time to sign hard copy petitions and swamp our elected officials with the notice that we are fed up. This president, based on his actions, and lack of actions/gestures, failure to follow custom (re: our flag), is not "fit" to be our president.
If he is elected, it's time to take back the country and make it for the people, of the people and by the people. Thank you.

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your dedicated service for the US of A. With people like you we keep America safe and most of the world.
Although I agree with Jefferson and his revolution theory, I can't help but think that the govt. we have now is not all that bad.
I believe in my nation and it's people. I have the greatest hope that by being in the nation building business we have spread more hope and stability in the regions we control and have controlled since the end of WWII, would learn the lessons we have taught. That even though we were enemies at one time we are able to forgive and help them rebuild thier lives and their nations, to lead them again to prosperity and deliverance from evil by doing things the American way.
iod Bless you and give you the peace to change that which you are able, and to accept that which you not.
Don't forget that there are millions if not billions which have never had a fullfilling life, under the sun of true freedom.

Last edited:
No true America loving veteran even contemplates violence in opposition to the government.

We fight our wars in political contests.

It's a good thing our Founder's didn't think that way, or else we would still be under British rule.

"... God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."

Thomas Jefferson Papers

No true America loving veteran even contemplates violence in opposition to the government.

What do think the line "all enemies foreign and domestic" means with regards to the Military Oath? I would suggest that line also covers those who abuse their power to usurp our Laws and what our Nation was founded upon. Secondly, I doubt whether you would have any idea what a Veteran like myself thinks of people who put their twisted ideologies before our National interests... It isn't good.

It's a good thing our Founder's didn't think that way, or else we would still be under British rule.

"... God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."

Thomas Jefferson Papers

That was easy for Jefferson to say, given that he lifted not one finger to fight in the revolution he helped create.

In modern terminology, he would be a Republican Chickenhawk.

What do think the line "all enemies foreign and domestic" means with regards to the Military Oath? I would suggest that line also covers those who abuse their power to usurp our Laws and what our Nation was founded upon. Secondly, I doubt whether you would have any idea what a Veteran like myself thinks of people who put their twisted ideologies before our National interests... It isn't good.

Oh, boy. Another budding revolutionary worried about "abuse" of power and suggesting a violent remedy for it.

Well....let me ask you a couple of questions:

1. What "abuse" do you see? How do you define such "abuse?"

2. If you tear down the system we have now, with what do you replace it? See, you nascent bomb-throwers never seem to think about what comes next. You sit around stewing over trivialities, convincing yourself that only armed revolt or violence will cure whatever it is you think ails us, but you never have a plan for the aftermath.

It's easy to destroy a nation, yet quite another thing to build something better in it's place. I have yet to meet an advocate of political violence who has a plan beyond destruction.

Nothing was said about a violent overthrow. (Pen mightier than sword....hmm?) And you say there is no shortage of troops?! Why are we activating the National Guard (responsible for our country's defense) and sending them out to the Middle East?

This is what I meant by Reading what was written, and consider what was addressed before jumping to conclusions.

As I just posted, nothing was said about a violent overthrow of government. Petitions to remove lazy and self-centered elected officials and playing some politics, is how we need to get our government to look out for the PEOPLE, not themselves.

MikeK, I think you are referring to 2000. Yeah, I supported him the best I could until he went to war with Iraq, but I never, ever pulled the crap of the Far Right or the Far Left here.

We are a Rule of Law nation, not of Man, period.
That's fine. But what do you do when the Rule of Law is ignored by government?

I support anyone who supports constitutional, electoral process.
And when the electoral process doesn't work owing to corruption by corporate money or oligarchical influence, or by outright fraud or vote-rigging, or by arbitrary judicial proclamation -- such as that which installed George W. Bush as President in 2008, who would you support then?

Funny how "the electoral process doesn't work" only when a republican gets elected.
Well let's have a look at the recent record. It was a Republican who maneuvered our Country into effecting the unlawful invasion and occupation of a non-aggressive nation and disgraced us in the eyes of the free world by showing us to be brutal torturers.

Fortunately the electoral process enabled us to throw off the imminently tyrannical regime fostered by the Bush dynasty before it became fully imbedded. But the point I wish to address in this topic is what would be left for us to do if it didn't?

One veteran gets his medal, another finally comes home...
:clap2:
Korean war vet gets Silver Star 60 years later with help from students
February 1, 2013 — Thanks in part to a group of high school students, a Korean War veteran has been awarded the Silver Star almost 60 years after he risked his life to save a wounded officer during one of the fiercest battles of the conflict.
Bill Wuorinen, 82, of Naselle, Wash., was given the medal Wednesday at a ceremony held in a school near his home attended by hundreds of area residents and dignitaries. Officials blamed a “paperwork error” for the time it took for Wuorinen’s “gallantry in action” on March 17, 1953, to be recognized. That mistake was corrected after a class at a local school researched his actions and championed his cause. Pfc. Wuorinen was serving as an infantryman assigned to the 1st Platoon, Company L, 3rd Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division during the Korean War.

During an effort to drive Chinese forces from a hill near Un-Dong, North Korea, Wuorinen’s unit came under intense attack from hostile forces. At one point, he and another soldier dragged a wounded lieutenant colonel to cover, then provided first aid to stabilize his condition. The two then held off Chinese soldiers until reinforcements and medical personnel arrived.

image.jpg

Bill Wuorinen, 82, of Naselle, Wash., receives his Silver Star for gallantry in the Korean War on Jan. 30, 2013.

In describing the battle, the Army’s official history of the Korean War notes, “The enemy breached the wire entanglements and pushed through the mine fields into the trenches of the 9th Infantry Regiment. One platoon’s position was overrun but the remaining platoons held firm in their blocking positions until reinforcements arrived. “As the Chinese began to disengage, (2ID) artillery fire interdicted their route of withdrawal,” it said. “The action cost the 9th slightly over 100 casualties, but enemy losses were estimated at over 400 men.”

According to a report in The Daily News of Longview, Wash., the lieutenant colonel and the other soldier who aided in his rescue received Silver Stars, but Wuorinen was mistakenly listed as a medic and was therefore ineligible for third-highest military decoration for valor. Two years ago, the newspaper reported, a class at Naselle High School took up the cause of righting the mistake. Eventually, the local American Legion Post and government officials got involved. While the oversight has long been a source of frustration, Wuorinen told the newspaper he was happy to finally be recognized. “I was taught to save a life,” he was quoted as saying. “And, that’s the job we had to do.”

Source

See also:

Remains of Korean War POW heading home after 62 years
February 1, 2013 - Army Pfc. Weldon Alonzo Davis is scheduled to come home to North Texas on Monday, 62 years after he died in a Korean prisoner of war camp.
His relatives -- whose DNA made his identification and return possible -- decided to bury his remains at Dallas-Fort Worth National Cemetery. His family first considered burying Davis in his hometown of Tioga. "But then we decided he wanted to be in the service so bad that the best place to bury him would be at the national cemetery," said his 77-year-old cousin, Helen White of Wylie. "We went out there today [Wednesday] and looked at it. We made a good decision." Davis will be buried with military honors at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday in Dallas-Fort Worth National Cemetery.

The graveside service will end a chapter of Davis' life that began when he was taken prisoner on Nov. 30, 1950. He was a member of B Battery of the 38th Field Artillery Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division, which was trying to fight off persistent attacks by Chinese troops pouring into North Korea. Davis and his fellow POWs faced an ordeal before they were finally imprisoned in Camp No. 5, near the village of Pukchin-Tarigol, which the Americans called Camp Death Valley. "They just marched them from one place to another," White said. "It was cold - real cold."

A year ago, military recovery team members briefed White about their ongoing efforts to recover Americans missing from the Korean War. She learned of the harsh conditions the soldiers endured. "I had no idea how things were for him," she said. "I felt so bad when I found out what these kids went through." Notes the researchers used included the debriefing of a doctor, one of the POWs who treated Davis, who said the private died on Jan. 20, 1951, of malnutrition, exhaustion and probably pneumonia, according to Department of Defense reports. The Army set his official date of death as March 31, 1951, because of conflicting dates given by other POWs.

Davis was born in Tioga and lived with his mother for about 18 months before his grandparents took him in to grow up on their Grayson County farm. "I knew him pretty good as the pesky little cousin," White said. "I can still hear my grandmother say, 'Now Weldon, just leave her alone.'" Davis, who was eager to join his uncles serving in the military during World War II, had his grandmother Fanny Davis falsify his age so he could enlist in the Navy when he was 16. "They found out and they discharged him in [December] '43," White said. "Knowing him, he ran her nuts. He had uncles who were in the service and that's all he could think about. He wanted to be in the service."

MORE

First off, please do not automatically make a decision about what I'm about to write. Consider it and let me know; constructively.....

I've been retired from the Air Force for 8 1/2 years, and have grown quite disappointed with our elected officials. In a nutshell, several founding fathers are quoted as saying it is our right to remove a government (such as what's happening now), and replace the broken government with one (likely the same principles, etc) that will work. Clean up many of the past legislation regarding Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, military benefits etc., and put people in office who actually care about the people.
The way things are going now, we will have NO military to defend our country since Clinton caused a drastic decrease in manning, the Bush administrations continued the "war", and now we're sending more troops out to defend embassies abroad. If the locals don't want us, then we withdraw, rather than try to remain in place. We have to be able to defend this country.
If this adminstration continues on course, I feel it's time to sign hard copy petitions and swamp our elected officials with the notice that we are fed up. This president, based on his actions, and lack of actions/gestures, failure to follow custom (re: our flag), is not "fit" to be our president.
If he is elected, it's time to take back the country and make it for the people, of the people and by the people. Thank you.

The president has won two elections. He has had the Senate the whole time and the House for half of it. The American electorate rejected Romney because of the nuttiness of the reactionary radicals. You need to grow up.

We have the greatest Military ever seen on the face of the earth. Even seventy years ago we could fight a war on two fronts. An alleged Air force veteran should be aware that US is the last super power and their is no shortage of Troops and technology. Even a vague suggestion of the violent overthrow of the government is strange indeed coming from a Veteran.
there are a lot of military personal active today who are conservative ,and they will not turn on the people. hell just look at all the police officials refusing to enforce any gun bans from DC.

Forum List

Back