Veterans given the right to salute with honor once again

DiamondDave

Army Vet
Jun 30, 2008
MD, on the Potomac River
helenair.com

Thanks to a congressional amendment sponsored by Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) in the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2009, veterans can now salute the U.S. flag during the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem. The amendment specifically states, “members of the Armed Forces and Veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute.”

Brings a tear to my eye

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I actually didn't know that they couldn't. Who, why, and when? Anyone who has served should be permitted to salute. That this ever was denied is disturbing.

i thought the etiquette was that you saluted if you were in uniform, including scouts, VFW, american legion, otherwise you put your hand over your heart.
live and learn

i thought the etiquette was that you saluted if you were in uniform, including scouts, VFW, american legion, otherwise you put your hand over your heart.
live and learn

That was the etiquette. I'm glad they permit this now. I think it is good that we can preserve a distinction that is somewhat public for those that have served. This is a perfect balance. It's not too "in your face", but a gentle reminder of who those people are around you.

live and learn

That was the etiquette. I'm glad they permit this now. I think it is good that we can preserve a distinction that is somewhat public for those that have served. This is a perfect balance. It's not too "in your face", but a gentle reminder of who those people are around you.

i wasn't complaining about it. i think it's a good idea.

I don't believe that there was ever any law that stated that a vet in civies could not salute. It was always just etiquete. And the hand over the heart is just as good a salute, in my opinion, as the military salute. So I will probably continue to use the hand over heart when I am not in some sort of uniform.

live and learn

I have to agree. I think too often many are unaware of just how many have served. Sure there may be some poseurs, but they will carry the stain.

I never knew they couldn't salute the flag out of uniform either.

Good to hear this! I salute all our vets and those that are serving our country now.

Forum List

Back