Veteran's Day

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Ok, should probably post this in military, but wanted you all to know. Next Monday one of my 6th grader's mom, a retired Major in AF, is giving my 4th-8th graders their Veteran's Day presentation. Is that cool, or what?

In the past I've brought in fathers, brothers, uncles, grandfathers, (including my dad), from all branches. But I think this one will suffice, as she is also a liason officer for the high schools and military academies, which is way cool!

Yeah, you should. You know very well this thread is NOT about discussion. Geeeezzzzzzz.

Sorry, I was trying to build up Veteran's Day. I'll stop and remove.

Ok, should probably post this in military, but wanted you all to know. Next Monday one of my 6th grader's mom, a retired Major in AF, is giving my 4th-8th graders their Veteran's Day presentation. Is that cool, or what?

In the past I've brought in fathers, brothers, uncles, grandfathers, (including my dad), from all branches. But I think this one will suffice, as she is also a liason officer for the high schools and military academies, which is way cool!

That is cool!

Matt from Blackfive is also a Chicago area resident. He posted one of my favorite Mike Royko columns, written of course before the 'Monday' celebration was changed:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/11/veterans_day.html#more
Since I will be mostly offline the next two days, I'll offer up my favorite Veterans Day article from the late, great Mike Royko (1932 - 1997) who penned it in 1993.

I think Mike's got the right idea about how to celebrate Veterans Day, GI-Style:

I just phoned six friends and asked them what they will be doing on Monday.

They all said the same thing: working.

Me, too.

There is something else we share. We are all military veterans.

And there is a third thing we have in common. We are not employees of the federal government, state government, county government, municipal government, the Postal Service, the courts, banks, or S & Ls, and we don’t teach school.

If we did, we would be among the many millions of people who will spend Monday goofing off.

Which is why it is about time Congress revised the ridiculous terms of Veterans Day as a national holiday.

The purpose of Veterans Day is to honor all veterans.

So how does this country honor them?

By letting the veterans, the majority of whom work in the private sector, spend the day at their jobs so they can pay taxes that permit millions of non-veterans to get paid for doing nothing.

As my friend Harry put it:

"First I went through basic training. Then infantry school. Then I got on a crowded, stinking troop ship that took 23 days to get from San Francisco to Japan. We went through a storm that had 90 percent of the guys on the ship throwing up for a week.

"Then I rode a beat-up transport plane from Japan to Korea, and it almost went down in the drink. I think the pilot was drunk.

"When I got to Korea, I was lucky. The war ended seven months after I got there, and I didn’t kill anybody and nobody killed me.

"But it was still a miserable experience. Then when my tour was over, I got on another troop ship and it took 21 stinking days to cross the Pacific.

"When I got home on leave, one of the older guys at the neighborhood bar — he was a World War II vet — told me I was a ----head because we didn’t win, we only got a tie.

"So now on Veterans Day I get up in the morning and go down to the office and work.

"You know what my nephew does? He sleeps in. That’s because he works for the state.

"And do you know what he did during the Vietnam War? He ducked the draft by getting a job teaching at an inner-city school.

"Now, is that a raw deal or what?"

Of course that’s a raw deal. So I propose that the members of Congress revise Veterans Day to provide the following:

- All veterans — and only veterans — should have the day off from work. It doesn’t matter if they were combat heroes or stateside clerk-typists.

Anybody who went through basic training and was awakened before dawn by a red-neck drill sergeant who bellowed: "Drop your whatsis and grab your socks and fall out on the road," is entitled.

- Those veterans who wish to march in parades, make speeches or listen to speeches can do so. But for those who don’t, all local gambling laws should be suspended for the day to permit vets to gather in taverns, pull a couple of tables together and spend the day playing poker, blackjack, craps, drinking and telling lewd lies about lewd experiences with lewd women. All bar prices should be rolled back to enlisted men’s club prices, Officers can pay the going rate, the stiffs.

- All anti-smoking laws will be suspended for Veterans Day. The same hold for all misdemeanor laws pertaining to disorderly conduct, non-felonious brawling, leering, gawking and any other gross and disgusting public behavior that does not harm another individual.

- It will be a treasonable offense for any spouse or live-in girlfriend (or boyfriend, if it applies) to utter the dreaded words: "What time will you be home tonight?"

- Anyone caught posing as a veteran will be required to eat a triple portion of chipped beef on toast, with Spam on the side, and spend the day watching a chaplain present a color-slide presentation on the horrors of VD.

- Regardless of how high his office, no politician who had the opportunity to serve in the military, but didn’t, will be allowed to make a patriotic speech, appear on TV, or poke his nose out of his office for the entire day.

Any politician who defies this ban will be required to spend 12 hours wearing headphones and listening to tapes of President Clinton explaining his deferments.

Now, deal the cards and pass the tequila.

- Mike Royko​

Amen, Mike, Amen.

Posted by Blackfive on November 09, 2006

I'll go along with the sentiment that Veterans' Day should be for veterans--only veterans should be recipients of the perks. There should be a mechanism available for the rest of us to pay honor and tribute to them on that day.

Back to your school activity--it's great that you try to expose your students to the contributions that have been made by our military on their special day. Every year the elementary school our granddaughters attend puts on a one-hour Veterans' Day program that is top notch. The children are in charge of the program, which includes patriotic readings from history, group singing of patriotic songs, a special tribute to all veterans in the audience, and a talk from a veteran about his/her experiences. It's a one and one-half hour drive for us one way, but we attend whenever we can.

I'll go along with the sentiment that Veterans' Day should be for veterans--only veterans should be recipients of the perks. There should be a mechanism available for the rest of us to pay honor and tribute to them on that day.

Back to your school activity--it's great that you try to expose your students to the contributions that have been made by our military on their special day. Every year the elementary school our granddaughters attend puts on a one-hour Veterans' Day program that is top notch. The children are in charge of the program, which includes patriotic readings from history, group singing of patriotic songs, a special tribute to all veterans in the audience, and a talk from a veteran about his/her experiences. It's a one and one-half hour drive for us one way, but we attend whenever we can.

I've tried and I think to some degree succeeded in helping the students recognize the contributions time of the military and those who've served. Several have chosen, like Semper to do jr. ROTC and even in college, ROTC.

When Kerry made his unfortunate crack directed at the military a couple weeks ago, all of my students were appalled, even those that 'dislike', (parents), Bush and now question the Iraq war.

As for Veteran's Day, Royko was right in arguing it should not be a 'three day' holiday. I've noticed since it was returned to 11/11, it's been 'celebrated' much more respectfully, with the exception of 'sales,' but I guess that's part of the freedoms that have been secured.

That's great Kat......Keep up the good work......

We should always inform our children of the great sacrifices that our Military Men and Women give to Our Country...:salute:

That's great Kat......Keep up the good work......

We should always inform our children of the great sacrifices that our Military Men and Women give to Our Country...:salute:

Agreed. Same with civics, we cannot have a democractic republic if we do not teach each generation.

A video made to help Valour IT:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...ew&current=ProjektWeaponsFree-Techography.flv

Project Valour-IT
(Voice-Activated Laptops for OUR Injured Troops)
In memory of SFC William V. Ziegenfuss

Project Valour-IT, in memory of SFC William V. Ziegenfuss, provides voice-controlled laptop computers to wounded Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines recovering from hand and arm injuries or amputations at home or in military hospitals. Operating laptops by speaking into a microphone, our wounded heroes are able to send and receive messages from friends and loved ones, surf the 'Net, and communicate with buddies still in the field without having to press a key or move a mouse. The experience of CPT Charles "Chuck" Ziegenfuss, a partner in the project who suffered severe hand wounds while serving in Iraq, illustrates how important this voice-controlled software can be to a wounded servicemember's recovery.

Read More...

Back on track of why we honor. As I said earlier, those that die are most often doing so to protect their brothers/sisters at arms. Why they are in that position though, is bigger and no less noble:

http://www.floppingaces.net/2006/11/11/veterans-day-post/

Everything we have in this country, we owe to the brave men and women who have lived- and who have sometimes died- wearing the proud uniform of the U.S. military. Our prosperity is made possible, because they stand in the way of those who would do us harm.

Take nothing we have for granted.

I’d like to share with Curt’s readers, a letter written in the tradition of a soldier in wartime, writing to his sweetheart back home. It comes courtesy of Michael Medved. Mr. Medved did not source the letter; and Google has come up empty. So I transcribed it myself, from his radio broadcast. I get choked up everytime I listen to it; the same way my eyes can sometimes water when I look at the American flag for too long.

Dear Angela,

This is by far the most difficult letter I shall ever write; what makes it so difficult is that you’ll be reading it in the unhappy event of my death. You’ve already learned of my death. I hope the news was broken to you gently. God, Angie, I didn’t want to die. I had so much to live for; you were my main reason for living. You’re a jewel; a treasure. Please don’t hate the war because it has taken me. I’m glad and proud that America has found me equal to the task of defending it. Vietnam isn’t a far off country in a remote corner of the world. It is Sagamore, Brooklyn, Honolulu, or any other part of the world where there are Americans. Vietnam is a test of the American spirit. I hope I have helped in a little way to pass the test. The press, the television screen, the magazines are filled with the images of young men burning their draft cards to demonstrate their courage. Their rejection is of the ancient law that a male fights to protect his own people in his own land. Does it take courage to flaunt the authorities and burn a draft card? Ask the men at Dak To, Con Thien, or Hill 875: they’ll tell you how much courage it takes.

Most people never think of their freedom; they never think much about breathing either, or blood circulating, except when these functions are checked by a doctor. Freedom like breathing and circulating blood is part of our being. Why must people take their freedom for granted? Why can’t they support the men, who are trying to protect their lifeblood- Freedom.

WE MUST DO the job that God set down for us. It’s up to every American to fight for the freedom we hold so dear. We must instruct the young in the ways of these great United States; we mustn’t let them take these freedoms for granted.

I want you to go on to live a full, rich, productive life, Angie. I want you to share your love with someone. You may meet another man and bring up a family. Please bring up your children to be proud Americans. Don’t worry about me, Honey; God must have a special place for soldiers. I’ve died as I’ve always hoped, protecting what I do hold so dear to my heart.

We will meet again in the future. We will. I’ll be waiting for you that day. I’ll be watching over you Angie; and if it’s possible to help you in some way, I will. Feel some relief with the knowledge that you’ve filled my short life with more happiness than most men know in a lifetime.

The inevitable? Well, the last one: I love you with all my heart; and all my love for you will survive into eternity.

Your Joey​

Joseph E. Santoni (I am doubtful that I have this right; but from listening, it’s the closest I could make out; if anyone knows better, please let me know) is one of the 58,000 names on the Wall in Washington. He died less than a year after writing these words.

You can listen to the letter in Part II of Michael Medved’s “The 3 Big Lies about the Vietnam Battle”. Part I is here. Please take the time the opportunity this weekend to listen. Vietnam and the Iraq battle are two different wars; but there is still much relevance of yesterday’s war to the one we fight today.

Important now, as it was then, to shed some light:
The Press at War
Myths and facts on who is volunteering
Who are the Recruits?

When I think of those in military uniform, I think of heroes. Men and women brave enough to serve in order to protect our way of life, our liberties, our beliefs, our friends and families. Our fellow countrymen. With all our various differences- too numerous to name, we do share a thing in common: and that is, we are united as Americans. As Michael Medved might say, proud citizens of this, the greatest nation on God’s, green earth.

and doing what you have to do. We are lucky that we do get these guys and girls:

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=6f11f4ad-c6fa-4535-b0ba-274c7daf210e

John Clayton: On this day, we stop to listen

By JOHN CLAYTON
Union Leader Staff
10 hours, 29 minutes ago

THE BIG BLUE scrapbook lay open on the dining room table. The Bronze Star was tucked inside a translucent sleeve on one page.

I was struck by its size.

It's so small.

He was a 19-year-old from New Hampshire when he served on South Pacific Island during World War II.

The medal itself is not much bigger than a quarter, yet it's big enough to harbor a million memories for Roy Annis, who is so typical of the men and women we honor today.

He was a small-town kid from New Hampshire -- Hooksett-born, Pembroke-raised -- and he was barely 19 when he found himself on Leyte Island in the South Pacific. He was with the 511th Parachute Infantry Regiment. His unit, Easy Company's second platoon, was following a Japanese supply route through the dense jungle -- the Ormoc-Burauen trail -- when shots rang out.

It was Nov. 19, 1944.

'It was the first time we took fire,' he said.

'Our first scout was shot and killed,' he said. 'Then our second scout was wounded. After that, I found out I was the new first scout.'

But first, Roy Annis found out what he was made of.

'That second scout was down in the middle of a shallow river,' he said. 'It was fairly wide but not too deep. We had this lieutenant -- a West Pointer, nice guy -- and he asked if I thought we could get the guy out, so we started and as we did, I looked back real quick and that lieutenant, he didn't raise his head but six inches and when he did, he got shot right in the head.'

The sniper fire continued, but Roy made it down to the river. As he dragged his wounded comrade to safety -- it didn't hurt that he was a high school track star -- his baptism of fire had begun.

'That's the whole thing about medals and stuff,' he said. 'You happen to be in a position where you have to do something and you do it. That's all.'

Trust me when I say there's no bravado, no bluster behind Roy's words.

When you're 82, and you've seen and done what he's seen and done, there's no need for bravado or bluster, but after all these years, there is a need for guys like Roy to tell their stories and an even greater need for people like us to listen.

So I did.

When the war broke out, Roy's family had left Pembroke for a while when his father took a job at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. By the time he was starting his senior year at Portsmouth High, he heard that nearby Kittery High School was holding graduation ceremonies twice each year -- in January and June -- and he saw a chance to be in uniform six months ahead of schedule.

He and a friend went to their principal and asked if they could do the same. The principal declined, so Roy had to wait until he graduated in June of '43. Less than two weeks later, he was on his way to Camp Wheeler in Georgia.

'I wanted to be a pilot,' he said, 'but I was afraid that by the time they taught me how to fly, the war would be over, so I joined the paratroopers.'

Pilot or no pilot, the Army still had lofty goals for him. He was in line for the Army Specialized Training Program that would have allowed him to spend his service time in a college classroom, but that wasn't going to fly with Roy.

He passed on college, then he took a 10-day pass to come home.

'That's how I wound up in the South Pacific,' he smiled. 'I wanted to go to Europe because my father had served there during World War I, but one day they called us in and said if we wanted to go to Europe, we were shipping out the next day. I hadn't been home since I went in, and I felt I owed it to my folks to come home, maybe for the last time.

'So I did,' he said, 'and that's how I wound up in the South Pacific. We went over on an Italian luxury liner,' he said, and that smile surfaced yet again. 'There were more than 7,000 guys on that ship. There were so many people that they fed us twice a day, and the line never stopped. You just got back in the line and by the time you got there, you were hungry again.'

And even though he was a paratrooper, his landing on Leyte Island was by boat.

'It rained every day,' he said. 'I had a brand new pair of boots when I got to Leyte and a month later, when we got off, they were rotting and falling right off my feet. Everything rots in the jungle and with all the rain, I found I couldn't sleep when the rain was hitting my face. It didn't matter on the rest of my body, but I couldn't sleep if it was hitting my face.'

Other nights, sleep didn't come at all.

'One night we had dug these foxholes and it was so dark, you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. We were so close to the Japs, we were rolling hand grenades out at them. You didn't want to shoot your rifle because they'd fire back at your muzzle blast, so we rolled out grenades to keep them off of us. After a while, I took my knife and I kept it in my hand because if anyone was coming in on me, I wanted to be ready.'

The month-long battle on Leyte was just a prelude to the action on Luzon, where Roy got to put his paratrooper training to the test.

'On Luzon, we jumped,' Roy said. 'There were some of our guys already down on the beach and we jumped to hook up with them. We were in C-47s, a lot of 'em, and when we jumped, you couldn't see down through the fog. I wanted down, fast, so I climbed on my risers, and just like that, we were out of the clouds. I aimed for this pine tree. I was trying to hit the low branches to break my fall. I missed it, but I was down OK in this soft field.'

Things got harder thereafter.

Roy's best friend in Easy Company was a guy from Texas named John Chapman.

'He was the best platoon sergeant ever,' Roy said. 'He got shot through the left side of his neck and it came out through his left shoulder. I called out for a medic and he said, 'Don't bother. I'm done for.''

Roy called out anyway, and the medics saved John Chapman.

Within hours, the medics were tending to Roy.

'He got wounded first and he got wounded the worst,' Roy said, 'but we both got wounded on the same day.'

He rolled up his left sleeve.

He showed me the pronounced indentations on both sides halfway up his forearm, evidence of the through-and-through gunshot that landed him in a tent hospital on Elandia.

'I couldn't use my hand,' he said. 'I used my right hand to keep flexing my fingers on my left hand. I didn't know if I'd ever be able to use it again, but after a couple of months, it was going pretty good and the doc said I had to go back to my unit. When I did, we were training for parachuting into the north of Japan, but then we dropped the atomic bomb...'

He didn't need to finish the thought, but he did.

'I'm one of those who can say I'm glad we did it,' he said. 'It saved a lot of American lives and a lot of Japanese lives, too.'

And Roy's life thereafter was remarkable in a way that typified the World War II generation. He came home to Pembroke and married his sweetheart, Madeline Richard.

They've been together 58 years.

Roy started off working at an auto parts shop in Concord for 25 bucks a week. Eventually, he wound up working for the Post Office in Suncook, and he and Madeline managed to raise their four kids even while Roy was serving on the school board, the zoning board, the planning board and the board of selectmen, because that's what guys like Roy have done since they saved the world for us.

Today's our day to thank them.

Here's another good way to say, 'Thank you!':

http://www.opgratitude.com/

Support Our Troops--Operation Gratitude Makes A Difference!
"I am one of the many Marines that you sent a care package. I want to thank each and every one of you for supporting us and for letting us know how much people support us back at home. I live with 17 Marines and Sailors in one room. Everyone got a package and everyone loved it especially the cookies and beanie babies. The cookies are excellent and the beanie babies help us out a lot with the local kids. We give them candy and toys and they give us the location for IED's. Once again, thank you for everything and for all the hard work that you put into the package. LCPL ND"

» HOLIDAY DRIVE 2006

No Veteran's Day would be complete without this:

attributed to Father Denis Edward O'Brien, USMC:

"It is the soldier, not the reporter,
Who has given us the freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer,
Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag."​

Thanks to all of you who've served, have served, will serve. :salute:

From his speech:
http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YmJjZDEyNzE1Yzk0MDcwNzVlZDkyNGZlYzViMWY5YmU=
W on Vets Day [Kathryn Jean Lopez]

On this day, in this month, at this hour, our nation remembers the moment when the guns of World War I went silent — and we recognize the service and the sacrifice of our nation’s veterans. From Valley Forge to Vietnam, from Kuwait to Kandahar, from Berlin to Baghdad, our veterans have borne the costs of America’s wars — and they have stood watch over America’s peace. The American people are grateful to the veterans and all who have fought for our freedom.

Since the presidency of Abraham Lincoln, the National Cemetery has reminded our citizens of the cost of liberty. The simple white markers testify to honor fulfilled and duty served. Most of these markers stand over graves of Americans who came home to enjoy the peace they earned. Too many stand over the graves of those who gave their lives to protect that peace. This day is dedicated to all who answered the call to service — whether they live in honor among us, or sleep in valor beneath this sacred ground.

On this Veterans Day, we give thanks for the 24 million Americans who strengthen our nation with their example of service and sacrifice. Our veterans are drawn from many generations and from many backgrounds. Some charged across great battlefields. Some fought on the high seas. Some patrolled the open skies. And all contributed to the character and to the greatness of America.

On this Veterans Day, we honor a new generation of men and women who are defending our freedom. Since September the 11th, 2001, our Armed Forces have engaged the enemy, the terrorists on many fronts. At this moment, more than 1.4 million Americans are on active duty, serving in the cause of freedom and peace around the world. They are our nation’s finest citizens. They confront grave danger to defend the safety of the American people. They’ve brought down tyrants, they’ve liberated two nations, they have helped bring freedom to more than 50 million people. Through their sacrifice, they’re making this nation safer and more secure — and they are earning the proud title of veteran.

On this Veterans Day, we’re humbled by the strong hearts of those who have served. Last week, Secretary Nicholson told me about a visit he made to New York City where he met a group of veterans who lost limbs in this war. Secretary Nicholson asked them how they could keep their spirits up. One man answered, “Sir, it is because we feel the American people are so appreciative of our service.” Many of our veterans bear the scars of their service to our country – and we are a nation that will keep its commitments to those who have risked their lives for our freedom. That young man was right — we do appreciate the service of those who wear our uniform.

To help Americans show our appreciation to those who have served, Secretary Nicholson has asked all our nation’s veterans to wear their medals today. I urge our citizens to go up to those men and women and shake a hand and give a hug, and give a word of thanks. I ask you to consider volunteering at a veterans hospital or a nursing home. I encourage you to work with your local veterans group to help support our troops in the field — and their families here at home.

As we raise our flag and as the bugle sounds taps, we remember that the men and women of America’s Armed Forces serve a great cause. They follow in a great tradition, handed down to them by America’s veterans. And in public ceremonies and in private prayer, we give thanks for the freedom we enjoy because of their willingness to serve.

I thank you for honoring those who serve today, and for honoring those who have set such a sterling example — our nation’s veterans. May God bless our veterans, may God bless all who wear the uniform, and may God continue to bless the United States of America.

Posted at 12:32 PM

Forum List

Back