Veteran's Day

Discussion in 'Military' started by Annie, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Ok, should probably post this in military, but wanted you all to know. Next Monday one of my 6th grader's mom, a retired Major in AF, is giving my 4th-8th graders their Veteran's Day presentation. Is that cool, or what?

In the past I've brought in fathers, brothers, uncles, grandfathers, (including my dad), from all branches. But I think this one will suffice, as she is also a liason officer for the high schools and military academies, which is way cool!

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Sorry, I was trying to build up Veteran's Day. I'll stop and remove.

3. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708

That is cool!

4. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Well even though she was in the Air Force I guess they classify as Veterans too! No really that sounds very nice hopefully it is well supported.
    salute:

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Matt from Blackfive is also a Chicago area resident. He posted one of my favorite Mike Royko columns, written of course before the 'Monday' celebration was changed:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/11/veterans_day.html#more

6. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I'll go along with the sentiment that Veterans' Day should be for veterans--only veterans should be recipients of the perks. There should be a mechanism available for the rest of us to pay honor and tribute to them on that day.

Back to your school activity--it's great that you try to expose your students to the contributions that have been made by our military on their special day. Every year the elementary school our granddaughters attend puts on a one-hour Veterans' Day program that is top notch. The children are in charge of the program, which includes patriotic readings from history, group singing of patriotic songs, a special tribute to all veterans in the audience, and a talk from a veteran about his/her experiences. It's a one and one-half hour drive for us one way, but we attend whenever we can.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I've tried and I think to some degree succeeded in helping the students recognize the contributions time of the military and those who've served. Several have chosen, like Semper to do jr. ROTC and even in college, ROTC.

When Kerry made his unfortunate crack directed at the military a couple weeks ago, all of my students were appalled, even those that 'dislike', (parents), Bush and now question the Iraq war.

As for Veteran's Day, Royko was right in arguing it should not be a 'three day' holiday. I've noticed since it was returned to 11/11, it's been 'celebrated' much more respectfully, with the exception of 'sales,' but I guess that's part of the freedoms that have been secured.

8. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    That's great Kat......Keep up the good work......

We should always inform our children of the great sacrifices that our Military Men and Women give to Our Country...:salute:

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Agreed. Same with civics, we cannot have a democractic republic if we do not teach each generation.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    A video made to help Valour IT:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...ew&current=ProjektWeaponsFree-Techography.flv