Veterans Day, Memorial Day, Armed Forces Day

usmcstinger

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2011
There seems to be quite a bit of confusion among our citizens as to what the meaning is of each of these 3 Days.

Many Americans mistakenly believe that Veterans Day is the day America sets aside to honor American military personnel who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained from combat. That's not quite true. Memorial Day is the day set aside to honor America's war dead*.

Veterans Day, on the other hand, honors ALL American veterans, both living and dead. In fact, Veterans Day is largely intended to thank LIVING veterans for dedicated and loyal service to their country. November 11 of each year is the day that we ensure veterans know that we deeply appreciate the sacrifices they have made in the lives to keep our country free.
Veterans Day - Honoring All Who Served

Armed Forces Day was created in 1949 to honor Americans serving in the five U.S. military branches – the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard – following the consolidation of the military services in the Department of Defense. It is celebrated on the third Sunday of May.Armed Forces Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For me Memorial Day is a Solemn day of Remembrance of those i knew, especially those I served with at the 2nd Plt. C Co. 1st Bn 4th Marines Vietnam 1967-68.

*The National Holiday Act moved Washington's Birthday, Memorial Day, Columbus Day, and Veterans Day from fixed dates to designated Mondays. The Act was designed to increase the number of three-day weekends for federal employees.[2] Veterans Day was removed from this list of always-on-Monday holidays when it was moved back to its traditional date of November 11, by act of Congress in 1975, effective 1978.

But what may be needed to return the solemn, and even sacred, spirit back to Memorial Day is for a return to its traditional day of observance. Many feel that when Congress made the day into a three-day weekend in with the National Holiday Act of 1971, it made it all the easier for people to be distracted from the spirit and meaning of the day. As the VFW stated in its 2002 Memorial Day address: "Changing the date merely to create three-day weekends has undermined the very meaning of the day. No doubt, this has contributed greatly to the general public's nonchalant observance of Memorial Day."
Memorial Day History

Last edited:
Here is my salute to all of our Veterans alive today and their service, and to those who passed before us.

Forum List

Back