Veterans Day 2010

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2RwRi2TjA0&feature=related[/ame]

A Veteran is someone, who at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for an amount up to and including their life.

That is beyond honor.

Thank you for your service. This country would not be the same without your sacrifice.

Rick

My grandfather was a WWII vet and served from 1942-1945. When he died 45 years later, there was nothing in his life he was more proud of. While it was only three years out of a lifetime, the sense of having achieved something great and the close bonds he had with his fellow vets stayed with him forever

First Lieutenant John R. Fox

Citation: For extraordinary heroism against an armed enemy in the vicinity of Sommocolonia, Italy on 26 December 1944, while serving as a member of Cannon Company, 366th Infantry Regiment, 92d Infantry Division.

During the preceding few weeks, Lieutenant Fox served with the 598th Field Artillery Battalion as a forward observer.

On Christmas night, enemy soldiers gradually infiltrated the town of Sommocolonia in civilian clothes, and by early morning the town was largely in hostile hands. Commencing with a heavy barrage of enemy artillery at 0400 hours on 26 December 1944, an organized attack by uniformed German units began. Being greatly outnumbered, most of the United States Infantry forces were forced to withdraw from the town, but Lieutenant Fox and some other members of his observer party voluntarily remained on the second floor of a house to direct defensive artillery fire.

At 0800 hours, Lieutenant Fox reported that the Germans were in the streets and attacking in strength. He then called for defensive artillery fire to slow the enemy advance. As the Germans continued to press the attack towards the area that Lieutenant Fox occupied, he adjusted the artillery fire closer to his position.

Finally he was warned that the next adjustment would bring the deadly artillery right on top of his position. After acknowledging the danger, Lieutenant Fox insisted that the last adjustment be fired as this was the only way to defeat the attacking soldiers.

Later, when a counterattack retook the position from the Germans, Lieutenant Fox's body was found with the bodies of approximately 100 German soldiers.

Lieutenant Fox's gallant and courageous actions, at the supreme sacrifice of his own life, contributed greatly to delaying the enemy advance until other infantry and artillery units could reorganize to repel the attack. His extraordinary valorous actions were in keeping with the most cherished traditions of military service, and reflect the utmost credit on him, his unit, and the United States Army.

It is important to know that 1st Lieutenant John R. Fox was an African American. I always wondered why he did what he did. After all, what type of America would he be returning to in 1945 had he survived. That makes his sacrifice all the more sacred.

Rest In Peace

This is great, but remember, our vets are out there, in 'real life' land too.

It would be great to pay a visit to a vet hospital, send a card, shake their hand when you see them out in public, donate what you can to the VA.........

My class loves to make them cards, they get a Big Kick out of them!

The high school I'm at today is circled by luminarias, way beyond the number of students, which means many bought multiples and decorated them. They 'cost' $1 each, must be more than 4k of them. All proceeds going to Soldiers Angels. There was a special flag ceremony at the start of school and vets are in all social studies classes today.

The school has lost 6 of its grads since 2001. That's the story in all the high schools today that I've been at. In the entry ways they have pictures of their own fallen.

No, I'm not at school right now, have to be back at noon. One of the benefits of subbing, no 'extra duties.' So, duty time, lunch, and planning period ran together.

Last edited:
"NORML thanks the men and women of America’s all-volunteer armed forces for their commitment and sacrifices made for the country’s safety, prosperity and freedom…"

1_growcvr0604.jpg

My Dad served from 1937 - 1967... WW II, Korea and as an advisor in Nam. Never really spoke of it much.... it was just what he did.

Gotta love that. My hat's off to them all.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jjZKPxv-_0&feature=related[/ame]

Though my life has brought me many tears and much pain, none can be as heavy as those who have fought and sacrificed for Freedom.

Our Veterans have been an inspiration to me, their honor and sacrifices have showed me what really matters in the end. For that I say "thank you" each and every one

I will always live my life with as much freedom as you sacrificed for me, no man, no government will take that from me, because YOU gave it to me. Freedom is in my soul, thanks to each one of you.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

May Peace shadow you all, now and always

SEOUL, South Korea — Celebrating America's Veterans Day, President Barack Obama on Thursday saluted the bravery of U.S. troops who defended South Korea during its war with North Korea and condemned the communist north for continuing on a course that he says deepens its isolation from the rest of the world along with the poverty of its people.

Speaking at an Army garrison in a country where the U.S. keeps a presence of more than 28,000 troops, Obama said North Korea knows the path to prosperity and should take it.

"Because the Korean War ended where it began geographically, some used the phrase 'Die for a Tie' to describe the sacrifice of those who fought here," Obama said. "But as we look around at this thriving democracy and its grateful, hopeful citizens, one thing is clear: This was no tie. This was a victory.

"It was a victory then, and it is a victory today," the president said.

Obama said the Korean peninsula provides the world's clearest contrast between a society that is open and one that is closed, between a dynamic, growing nation like South Korea and a North Korea "that would rather starve its people"

"It's a contrast so stark you can see it from space, as the brilliant lights of Seoul give way to utter darkness in the north," he said, adding that it is a direct result of the path chosen by the reclusive, communist north.

Obama said the U.S. "will never waver" in its commitment to South Korea's security and that North Korea's continued pursuit of nuclear weapons will only lead to more isolation and less security. He urged Pyongyang to take another path, a road that he said will offer its people growing opportunity instead of crushing poverty.

The commander in chief spoke inside a packed gymnasium, addressing a uniformed audience of service members from the different branches of the U.S. military. They surrounded him from all sides, and many snapped photos as he spoke.

Obama also spoke to the broader meaning of Veterans Day.

"On this day, we honor every man and woman who has ever worn the uniform of the United States of America. We salute fallen heroes, and keep in our prayers those who are still in harm's way — like the men and women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. We recall acts of uncommon bravery and selflessness, but we also remember that honoring those who've served is about more than the words we say on Veterans' Day or Memorial Day. It's about how we treat our veterans every single day of the year. It's about making sure they have the care they need and the benefits they have earned. It's about serving all of you as well as you've served the United States of America."

He said that's why he's has asked for increased budgets for the Veterans Administration.

"So I want all of you to know that when you come home, your country will be there be for you. That is the commitment I make as your Commander-in-Chief," he said. "That is the sacred trust between the United States of America and all who defend its ideals.

"It's a trust that's been forged in places far from our shores: from the beaches of Europe to the jungles of Vietnam; from the deserts of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan to the peninsula where we stand today."

President Barack Obama greets troops Thursday during a Veteran's Day event at the U.S. Army Garrison at Yongsan military base in Seoul. Obama urged North Korea to engage with the international community over its nuclear program or risk making the lives of its people even harsher.

After the speech, Obama laid a wreath at a war memorial.

Obama salutes troops, condemns North Korea - World news - Asia-Pacific - msnbc.com

My Uncle Marshall, who died in Okinawa, Japan in 1945

Though I never knew you, I am honored that you are my Uncle

Marshall-1-1.jpg

Forum List

Back