Veterans are being told to pay back bonuses..........

Actually, Congress passes the defense budget for whatever amount they think they are needing, and distribute it between the services.

Incidentally, the Marines receive the least amount of any other service.

It is then up to a committee of higher ups to determine if they need to offer bonuses to the various specialties or services, and the amount they think it would take to entice them to stay in. They determine the amount for each specialty, and then pass it up the chain of command to whichever secretary (in my case it was SECNAV, Secretary of the Navy) is in charge of their service, and they sign the authorization.

The person that is accountable, and can therefore forgive the debt isn't the president, it's the secretary of that particular service (in this case, the Secretary of the Army).

When was the last time this country has had a budget passed? The Congress passes a defense budget, it doesn't specify what every soldier, sailor, airman, and marine would be paid. It doesn't say how much in bonuses people will receive. Actually, I believe the Coast Guard receives the least. The USMC which is part of the department of the Navy makes up about 13% of the service. Hence less money for service bonuses. As you said the SECNAV is in charge and they sign the authorization. Of course, this person the SECARM is Executive Branch.

HEY YOU STUPID MORONS, CONGRESS CAN END THIS SHIT BUT THEY'RE NOT...SO STOP BLAMING EVERYBODY AND BLAME THAT DO NOTHING EFFIN CONGRESS YOU DUMB FUCKS VOTED IN......YOU PEOPLE ARE SUCH FUCKIN OBAMA HATERS AND WHINERS...GET A FUCKIN LIFE!!

Maybe you are not aware of this but the Congress is not currently in session. Should the president call a special session when he could just tell Secretary of Defense, who works for him to suspend collection.

Maybe you aren't aware of this, but the SECDEF is already on this and has been since Monday.

Again................why should Obama order the SECDEF to do something he's already doing?

Big woop, since Monday. How long has this been going on?

The National Guard has been asking Congress to act on this for 2 years now.

Why weren't they asking the DOD to act on this? They are the ones collecting the money.

It's not the Congress' position to act on this. This is an Executive Branch matter not a Legislative. The bonuses were paid by the Department of Defense. They are the ones trying to collect it back. Now the Congress can pass a bill saying that the Department of Defense cannot recover the money but of course, the President will have to sign it. But this matter is an Executive Branch mess. Congress does not issue bonuses to service members.

California National Guard: Our hands are tied
The California National Guard said it can't just ignore the debts -- even if it wants to.
"The bonus audit and recoupment process is a federal program governed and adjudicated by the National Guard Bureau and the Department of the Army. The California National Guard does not have the authority to unilaterally waive these debts," it said in a statement.
"However, the California National Guard welcomes any law passed by Congress to waive these debts. Until that time, our priority is to advocate for our soldiers during this difficult process."

HEY YOU STUPID MORONS, CONGRESS CAN END THIS SHIT BUT THEY'RE NOT...SO STOP BLAMING EVERYBODY AND BLAME THAT DO NOTHING EFFIN CONGRESS YOU DUMB FUCKS VOTED IN......YOU PEOPLE ARE SUCH FUCKIN OBAMA HATERS AND WHINERS...GET A FUCKIN LIFE!!

Maybe you are not aware of this but the Congress is not currently in session. Should the president call a special session when he could just tell Secretary of Defense, who works for him to suspend collection.

Maybe you aren't aware of this, but the SECDEF is already on this and has been since Monday.

Again................why should Obama order the SECDEF to do something he's already doing?

Why weren't they asking the DOD to act on this? They are the ones collecting the money.

The California NG brought this up before Congress and asked them to fix this TWO YEARS AGO!

The California NG brought this up before Congress and asked them to fix this TWO YEARS AGO!

It should NOT take an act of Congress to fix this. Bonuses are paid out by the Department of Defense. It is that department trying to recoup the money. Congress isn't trying to get the money back. Don't try and kick this can down the road it falls on PRESIDENT BARACK H OBAMA, the head of the Executive Branch. OWN IT.

Actually, Congress passes the defense budget for whatever amount they think they are needing, and distribute it between the services.

It is then up to a committee of higher ups to determine if they need to offer bonuses to the various specialties or services, and the amount they think it would take to entice them to stay in. They determine the amount for each specialty, and then pass it up the chain of command to whichever secretary (in my case it was SECNAV, Secretary of the Navy) is in charge of their service, and they sign the authorization.

The person that is accountable, and can therefore forgive the debt isn't the president, it's the secretary of that particular service (in this case, the Secretary of the Army).

When was the last time this country has had a budget passed? The Congress passes a defense budget, it doesn't specify what every soldier, sailor, airman, and marine would be paid. It doesn't say how much in bonuses people will receive. Actually, I believe the Coast Guard receives the least. The USMC which is part of the department of the Navy makes up about 13% of the service. Hence less money for service bonuses. As you said the SECNAV is in charge and they sign the authorization. Of course, this person the SECARM is Executive Branch.

You're right. The Congress passes the Defense Authorization Act which gives the money to the services, but then (if you'd bothered to read the whole post), a committee determines where the money goes and to who, and part of that money is designated for certain specialties to get bonuses which are authorized by the secretary of that particular branch.

And no...............Obama has nothing to do with the day to day paperwork that goes on in the services. That is why all the authorizations for bonuses comes from the secretary.

You're right. The Congress passes the Defense Authorization Act which gives the money to the services, but then (if you'd bothered to read the whole post), a committee determines where the money goes and to who, and part of that money is designated for certain specialties to get bonuses which are authorized by the secretary of that particular branch.

And no...............Obama has nothing to do with the day to day paperwork that goes on in the services. That is why all the authorizations for bonuses comes from the secretary.

If only we had a leader in the executive branch. If only there was someone in charge...

If only we had a leader in the executive branch. If only there was someone in charge...

Hey stupid..............I've told you REPEATEDLY that Obama isn't in charge of authorizing the bonuses. The secretary of whichever service does, so they are the ones that need to authorize the forgiveness of the debt. How do I know this? I worked in Personnel for over 20 years in the U.S. Navy, and preparing the paperwork for reenlistments and bonuses was part of my main job, so I had to know all about them. There's an instruction that comes out every fiscal year to tell you what jobs are authorized for that year. And, it changes from year to year, depending on the manning requirements at the time.

Hey stupid..............I've told you REPEATEDLY that Obama isn't in charge of authorizing the bonuses. The secretary of whichever service does, so they are the ones that need to authorize the forgiveness of the debt. How do I know this? I worked in Personnel for over 20 years in the U.S. Navy, and preparing the paperwork for reenlistments and bonuses was part of my main job, so I had to know all about them. There's an instruction that comes out every fiscal year to tell you what jobs are authorized for that year. And, it changes from year to year, depending on the manning requirements at the time.

Silly me, I thought that President Obama was in charge of the Executive Branch. I thought that the Secretary of the Army was in his chain of command. I guess not. The fact is that Congress does not authorize specific bonuses. You are aware that we haven't had a congressional approved budget in many, many years. We are running on continuing resolutions.

Silly me, I thought that President Obama was in charge of the Executive Branch. I thought that the Secretary of the Army was in his chain of command. I guess not. The fact is that Congress does not authorize specific bonuses. You are aware that we haven't had a congressional approved budget in many, many years. We are running on continuing resolutions.

Never said that Congress authorized the bonuses. I said that Congress authorizes the whole chunk of money that the military says they need, the money is then distributed to the various services, and a committee of that branch decides who is going to get how much and for what. That committee also determines what jobs get bonuses or not. I didn't say congress, I said the service COMMITTEE in charge of distributing the money. And, since the authority for the bonuses comes from the secretary of that service, that is where the forgiveness of the debt comes.

You've never been in the military, have you?

Never said that Congress authorized the bonuses. I said that Congress authorizes the whole chunk of money that the military says they need, the money is then distributed to the various services, and a committee of that branch decides who is going to get how much and for what. That committee also determines what jobs get bonuses or not. I didn't say congress, I said the service COMMITTEE in charge of distributing the money. And, since the authority for the bonuses comes from the secretary of that service, that is where the forgiveness of the debt comes.

Interesting. So, then why exactly are you trying to blame Congress? If a committee of that branch determines who gets the bonuses, that is part of the Executive Branch. Who is in charge of the Executive Branch again?

Yes, I am a retired military officer.

The Congress doesn't fix it. The DOD and the SECARMY does according your posts.

Interesting. So, then why exactly are you trying to blame Congress? If a committee of that branch determines who gets the bonuses, that is part of the Executive Branch. Who is in charge of the Executive Branch again?

Yes, I am a retired military officer.

Haven't blamed Congress for anything, I said that it's up to the secretary of the service concerned to forgive the debt.

But if I do have to blame Congress for something, well.............they've known about this for the past 2 years now, why is it just now coming to light?

This is great news that the bonuses will not have to be repaid.

House Rejects Obama, Passes $611B Defense Bill by Wide Margin

The bill would prevent the Pentagon from forcing thousands of California National Guard troops to repay enlistment bonuses and benefits they received a decade after they signed up to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan. Soldiers would have to return a bonus only if a "preponderance of the evidence" shows they knew they weren't eligible to receive the money.

Of course, the senate still has to vote, but it looks like this will be included in any event.

Good post, but Obama appointed the SECDEF that authorized bonuses and paybacks.

Good post, but Obama appointed the SECDEF that authorized bonuses and paybacks.

Wrong. Go back and read the link in the OP. The bonuses were authorized under Jr., during the height of the Iraq war, 10 years ago. Obama has only been in office for 7 1/2. So no, the bonuses were authorized under a SECDEF appointed by Jr.

Try again.

Forum List

Back