Veteran Groups are Dying

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
I hadn’t really thought about it before reading this article but it makes a lot of sense. There are a number of them in this area near Nellis AFB and I never, ever see cars or people around them. AMVETS, American Legion, VFW, Vietnam Veterans, and so on just aren’t drawing young vets and most have turned into old-age drinking clubs.

What can be done about it?

The author says he’s made suggestions but nobody’s paying attention to him. More @ Our Veteran Groups Are Dying

I joined the local VFW because I thought they had a bar and it would be someplace I could swop war stories and drink cheap beer. I found out after the first meeting that they had no bar, were opposed to even bringing a sixpack to watch football games, were only interested in getting a ride to the V.A. (60 miles away) for appointments and their biggest thrill was a bingo game. I'm getting old but I'm not that old. I joined the Marine Corps league but they meet in a borrowed hall and only talk about the next parade or "toys for tots" drive and I'm not that gung ho to put on a uniform again and to tell the truth I don't give a damn whether tots get toys.

Forum List

Back