Vet Bills?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by strollingbones, Aug 25, 2008.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,869
    i have two dogs, thor the dobie, jake the mix, and two fixed male cats, clark the good one,...roland the evil one. Here is my year. Jake gets an ocular ulcer, my vet grids it twice,(eye) makes a blood serum from jakes blood for high drops. used human eye drops...

did you know there are canine opthomoligist?
    She is a very nice lady. She grids the eye more aggressively....heals....

how much so far around 900 bucks. I am not rich. I had to do payments etc.

thor gashes the inside of his thigh....er vet to boone.....to clean the wound and make it bigger....the wound had began to heal. ( o yea i feel proud that we didnt notice it for two days but it was up at his groin and it wasnt till he turned over ....man i feel bad enough alright?)

this set me back 291.20 what the hell the 20 cents was I have no clue.

now added on to normal shots, worming, flea treatments...well I just can not afford another free dog or cat lol.....so what is your worse story of stupid vet bill.

and how far will you go to save your pet? one of my dobermans was thought to maybe have bone cancer, i researched it....before the test came back so I knew I would not do the treatment but let him go. (the treatment would have been total amputation of his hip and leg) giving him maybe 3 months to a year.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  2. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    You go as far as you have money to pay.
    When you can't afford it, time to thin the population.

I've been lucky in that I've always been able to afford my pets, but I'm ruthless when it comes to not having more than I can afford. I have horses, so we're talking $$ and time and trouble. I've kept horses when I couldn't really afford them, was lucky enough to have a mother to supplement my habit (she's a horse person too) but finally said enough is enough let's sell the lot, and I vowed not to have any more until I could afford them myself, without depending on others, and without praying they wouldn't get injured or ill.

I've never kept more than a couple of house pets...when the older boys were growing up I had one that was always bringing animals home so we had to deal with that. But finally when he grew up I made it real clear to him, you leave that dog here and it WILL be gone when you come back, so he doesn't do that anymore.

My mom always kept more animals than we could accomodate when I was growing up. Made a lasting impression on me, and it's something I won't do. Now we have one dog, thankfully a Russell who doesn't tolerate cats (or any other animal) so I don't have to worry about any other house pets. She keeps the kids busy and they keep her busy, she keeps pests out of my yard and my home (at least I assume so, I don't have any. And the skunk only came once, thank goodness, she sleeps with me and/or the kids in our beds. Under our covers.)

I can treat almost anything myself, including infections, if I can lay hands on the antibiotics which you used to be able to in the feed store. I don't know if you still can or not, it's been so long since I've had to treat anything. Horses I have the vet out if there's infection, otherwise, I haven't known many vets that can tell me much more than I know myself. EXCEPT in the case of illnesses that need to be tested for. Or stitch jobs.

The eye thing, I don't konw I'd spend much more on it myself, but that's just because I couldn't afford it. I'd probably opt for having the eye removed if it was a chronic and/or painful problem. A domestic dog can function fine with one eye.

The leg thing, just one of those things. I think if it was beginning to heal I probably wouldn't have taken him to the vet, but you never know, it sort of depends on how bad it looked and whether it was badly infected or not. I've treated infections with hot compresses before and had pretty good luck (no antibiotics, either, on the one I'm thinking of...an abcessed dog bite). But I'm not anti-vet, either. If I don't feel comfortable with something, it's to the vet we go and damn the torpedoes. Or, to my house the vet comes, damn the torpedoes, the time of day or night, and whether or not it's a holiday....

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  3. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,869
    i guess i am a sucker. if more showed up i would take them in...and work on getting them better. i just dont mind doing without....i would never removed the eye of a dog if it could be saved.

as for the bills i dont owe anyone any vet bills...*knock on wood* and pay my bills. when i said I make payments....i mean to credit card if I have too.

the leg wound was not going to heal well...right in the inner thight.....next to the groin....I would rather spend the money than have a beat up looking dog.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. silverdakota

silverdakota Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I took Savannah for a booster on her rabies shot (she already had the one year 4 months before) because she got within 20 feet of a rabid groundhog. They charged me $90 for a rabies booster and a "psychological" screen, the vet was new. Savannah's perfect, except for being possessed by the Tasmanian Devil.....but come on, $90????

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  5. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,869
    you paid what for a what? lol....i have to wonder who is mental now?

6. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I spent almost $3000 to save a $600 cat that ended up having to be put to sleep anyway. :mad:

7. Otter_Creek

Otter_Creek worst president ever

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +144
    That does seem pretty high for rabies booster.If you have more than one vet near you, you should call and shop their prices before you take in your pet.

8. silverdakota

silverdakota Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It was actually about $15 for the shot, the rest was for the "pshychological screen". Translation: the vet had a short schedule that week and a car payment coming up.

9. Otter_Creek

Otter_Creek worst president ever

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Okedokie :eusa_shifty:

10. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,869
    i will bite....what the hell is pshychological screening for a dog? scare them and make them pee...what?