Very Very Strange Phone Call!!! Has anyone ever had this happen before?

no1tovote4 said:
This happens when call-waiting is used and then you hang up on the call waiting.

What likely happened is they called you, but while they were waiting for you to get the phone they got a call and switched over to the new call. You picked up and of course it appeared to you that nobody was there so you hung up. The person who called you forgot at all that they had a call waiting on the other line and hung up their phone. Call waiting at that point would attempt to reconnect the call that was on hold. This makes both phones ring, you both pick up and have no idea what is happening.

One problem with that theory I do not know anyone named Ethel, and she did not know me.

Started off with a misdial, or a call from a calling list (telemarketers work from home sometimes nowadays). Ethel picks up the phone, the original call was placed by the person in telemarketing that worked in the home. There are any number of scenarios that could make this happen. I just know how the phone system works. I am a Switch Engineer. :)

Ethel probably figured it out later as she would have to be the person to place the call.

(Maybe it was your gaurdian angel putting you in touch with your soul mate! J/K :D)

It is possible that a phone switch glitched though, too.

When I was part of the telecom team at Conoco Phillips in Anchorage, every now and then we'd get a few complaints about this sort of thing happening. It was bizarre & we suspected someone was playing tricks - but these are highly paid oil company people who generally have their noses to the grindstone. We were trying to track this down and get it handled before one of the VPs or even the President got one of these weird calls, which was hard to do since it didn't happen but once a week or so.

It turned out that there was a bad card in the switch (a Siemens MD-80), we replaced that card and the problem went away.

NightTrain said:
It is possible that a phone switch glitched though, too.

When I was part of the telecom team at Conoco Phillips in Anchorage, every now and then we'd get a few complaints about this sort of thing happening. It was bizarre & we suspected someone was playing tricks - but these are highly paid oil company people who generally have their noses to the grindstone. We were trying to track this down and get it handled before one of the VPs or even the President got one of these weird calls, which was hard to do since it didn't happen but once a week or so.

It turned out that there was a bad card in the switch (a Siemens MD-80), we replaced that card and the problem went away.

It is possible but highly unlikely. If it is such an issue it is likely to be contained in the area of the switch with the faulty card rather than a National issue. At least from my perspective.

yeah, I'm not an expert with switches by any means, and that was a PBX - certainly not the CO.

I've also found myself talking to someone else on my cell phone out of the blue before, in mid conversation... which the cell company took very seriously! Somehow when I got passed off to the next cell site, my call got mixed up with another user and there wasn't even a crackle as it happened.

"Huh? Who's this?"

"David. Who's this?"

"David? David?? Where the hell is my WIFE, David?!" :laugh:

NightTrain said:
yeah, I'm not an expert with switches by any means, and that was a PBX - certainly not the CO.

I've also found myself talking to someone else on my cell phone out of the blue before, in mid conversation... which the cell company took very seriously! Somehow when I got passed off to the next cell site, my call got mixed up with another user and there wasn't even a crackle as it happened.

"Huh? Who's this?"

"David. Who's this?"

"David? David?? Where the hell is my WIFE, David?!" :laugh:

LOL. That has actually happened to me as well. I also had a next door neighbor with a wireless phone that when it rang, mine rang as well. When I picked up I was able to hear their conversation crystal clear, but they could not hear me even if I shouted. Some of the oddest conversation I have ever heard too!

no1tovote4 said:
LOL. That has actually happened to me as well. I also had a next door neighbor with a wireless phone that when it rang, mine rang as well. When I picked up I was able to hear their conversation crystal clear, but they could not hear me even if I shouted. Some of the oddest conversation I have ever heard too!

the cell phone stuff shouldn't happen any longer now that the majority of the systems are digital systems. The old analog systems were notorious for cross-talk problems.

As for wireless home phones, most of those are digital these days too, but they operate at either 2.4 or 5.8 GHz and both those bands are VERY crowded.

freeandfun1 said:
the cell phone stuff shouldn't happen any longer now that the majority of the systems are digital systems. The old analog systems were notorious for cross-talk problems.

As for wireless home phones, most of those are digital these days too, but they operate at either 2.4 or 5.8 GHz and both those bands are VERY crowded.

I live far enough away now that I will never have to worry about that again. There are benefits when you move to the boondocks.

Back in '97 or so when my son was an infant, we had his room all set up with one of those baby monitors. We were living in a crowded neighborhood in Anchorage at the time.

We had some friends over, having a few beers and playing cards in the dining room. My wife was sitting closest to the living room, where the baby monitor was, and kept hearing people talking in our living room. I thought she was nutty at first, and walked into the living room to check it out.

Turns out the baby monitor was also monitoring a neighbor woman who was having.. emmm... explicit conversation with some guy who was NOT her husband up on the North Slope!

I never had the guts to tell her about her cordless phone frequency & baby monitors.

no1tovote4 said:
I live far enough away now that I will never have to worry about that again. There are benefits when you move to the boondocks.

I live in the boondocks! population around 9000.

I've had a similar expierance (sp?) check this out....

My best friend's sister died about four years ago in a car wreck. About a year after her funeral, I was over at his house and the phone rang. He answered it, and it was his sister's voice.

He said, "You have the wrong number, my sister died in a car wreck. Is your name Kimberly ____?"
She said, "Well duh, of course it is. What do you mean I died?? I'm playing at Kayla's now and I need Mom to pick me up."
"You mean Kayla ______?"
"Well, duh, stupid! She's the only Kayla I know!"

Whats really creepy is that Kayla's phone number showed on his caller ID (indicating that she had called from Kayla's house) when it rang but later we found out that Kayla had been gone to Florida for two weeks to see her grandparents. Anyone figure that out???

TheEnemyWithin said:
I've had a similar expierance (sp?) check this out....

My best friend's sister died about four years ago in a car wreck. About a year after her funeral, I was over at his house and the phone rang. He answered it, and it was his sister's voice.

He said, "You have the wrong number, my sister died in a car wreck. Is your name Kimberly ____?"
She said, "Well duh, of course it is. What do you mean I died?? I'm playing at Kayla's now and I need Mom to pick me up."
"You mean Kayla ______?"
"Well, duh, stupid! She's the only Kayla I know!"

Whats really creepy is that Kayla's phone number showed on his caller ID (indicating that she had called from Kayla's house) when it rang but later we found out that Kayla had been gone to Florida for two weeks to see her grandparents. Anyone figure that out???

That's really CREEPY!!!!!

Forum List

Back