Vermont Legalizes Gay Marriage

the government can't force churches to marry gays, and conservatives KNOW it.

I think they trot that out as an excuse, probably because they aren't comfortable publically stating the real reasons they are against gay marriage.

The government can't force churches to marry gays yet. Once enough States allow gay marriages, I suspect the gay lobby will push to require all churches to marry gays on the basis of discrimination. The company eHarmony used to only match straight couples, but a few anti-discrimination lawsuits later and they are now forced to offer same-sex matches. The Conservatives see this coming and are trying to put a stop to it, but I doubt they'll win.

So you're comparing eHarmony to a Church?

I don't think the "Gay Lobby" will push to require all churches to marry gays.

Old X doesn't know the law.

Discrimination law applies to wages, employment, housing, education, and jobs.

the "suspicion" that the "gay lobby" will sue churches to marry them, on the churches private property is laugh out loud funny.

Right, it should be a CHOICE if the church wants to or not.

Wouldn't that be where separation of Church and State comes into play anyway? I seriously doubt the government can "make" a church marry same sex couples.

I know some Unitarian have married same sex partners, and that is their choice.

I think they trot that out as an excuse, probably because they aren't comfortable publically stating the real reasons they are against gay marriage.

The government can't force churches to marry gays yet. Once enough States allow gay marriages, I suspect the gay lobby will push to require all churches to marry gays on the basis of discrimination. The company eHarmony used to only match straight couples, but a few anti-discrimination lawsuits later and they are now forced to offer same-sex matches. The Conservatives see this coming and are trying to put a stop to it, but I doubt they'll win.

rainbow-trout-igfa.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This made me LOL

I suspect the gay lobby will push to require all churches to marry gays on the basis of discrimination.

"Suspect"? Is that the best you got? :lol: Is that like the George Bush fan club that "suspects" the WMD were moved to syria?

Hey, just saying. Time will tell. Based on the way gays have been able to use discrimination to get their way, it's certainly plausable. Imagine if a church wouldn't allow blacks to get married. Do you think the black people could sue the church and win? You bet they could.

This made me LOL

I suspect the gay lobby will push to require all churches to marry gays on the basis of discrimination.

"Suspect"? Is that the best you got? :lol: Is that like the George Bush fan club that "suspects" the WMD were moved to syria?

Hey, just saying. Time will tell. Based on the way gays have been able to use discrimination to get their way, it's certainly plausable. Imagine if a church wouldn't allow blacks to get married. Do you think the black people could sue the church and win? You bet they could.

I'm pretty sure discrimination law only applies to things that pertain to employment, education, and commerce. I don't think you can force a private church to do anything, unless they are benefiting from public tax money.

So you're comparing eHarmony to a Church?

I don't think the "Gay Lobby" will push to require all churches to marry gays.

Huh?

Discimination: treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

This made me LOL

I'm pretty sure discrimination law only applies to things that pertain to employment, education, and commerce. I don't think you can force a private church to do anything, unless they are benefiting from public tax money.

You can force a private company to restrict the sale of alcohol on Sunday or in certain areas. You can force a private company to be smoke free. There are many ways you can force a private company or organization to do what you want them to do.

You can force a private company to restrict the sale of alcohol on Sunday or in certain areas. You can force a private company to be smoke free. There are many ways you can force a private company or organization to do what you want them to do.

that's COMMERCE.

The government can regulate commerce. that's in the constitution

The government can't regulate private behaviour in churches.

that's COMMERCE.

xcited knows that, he's just trolling. But remember, he's "only kidding!"

rainbow-trout-igfa.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

that's COMMERCE.

It most certainly can. A Muslim friend of mine couldn't believe that polygamy was against the law in the US. 'Illegal' drug use in churches is prohibited. Obama just raised taxes on cigarettes because it's supposed to help people stop smoking. There are ways for the State to get around anything.

rainbow-trout-igfa.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

oh no----are those fishing CHAPS !!!!!!!!!! :eek:

that's COMMERCE.

Oh yeah, he's just kidding. :lol:

that's COMMERCE.

I do like to troll the liberals because they are so much fun to upset, but this time I'm serious. Watch. Discrimination will be used.

that's COMMERCE.

I do like to troll the liberals because they are so much fun to upset, but this time I'm serious. Watch. Discrimination will be used.

not even a chance. reread the first amendment.

that's COMMERCE.

discrimination laws, as I understand them, only apply to education, commerce, and housing.

Please tel me where these discrimination laws are that allow the government to regulate private church ceremonial services.

I'll wait.

Right, it should be a CHOICE if the church wants to or not.

Wouldn't that be where separation of Church and State comes into play anyway? I seriously doubt the government can "make" a church marry same sex couples.

I know some Unitarian have married same sex partners, and that is their choice.

I don't agree with the eHarmony thing, publicizing it was all they should have done and nothing more. However, you must admit, this will be great incentive for churches and those who value their religious rights to push to re-enforce separation of church and state. Now there's a reason for everyone to want that ...

I don't agree with the eHarmony thing, publicizing it was all they should have done and nothing more. However, you must admit, this will be great incentive for churches and those who value their religious rights to push to re-enforce separation of church and state. Now there's a reason for everyone to want that ...

excellent point

not even a chance. reread the first amendment.

Oh my. You realize how often the First Amendment has been trampled? Surely you jest. Was that you holding that big fish?

that's COMMERCE.

Th
e First Amendment to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights that expressly prohibits the United States Congress from making laws "respecting an establishment of religion" or that prohibit the free exercise of religion, infringe the freedom of speech, infringe the freedom of the press, limit the right to peaceably assemble, or limit the right to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back