Vermont Legalizes Gay Marriage

I couldn't tell from the story, are they using the terms "civil union" and marriage interchangeably? They seem to say that this gave the right to marry and they also said Vermont was the first state to grant civil unions. So I couldn't tell whether they gave the right to civil union and then followed that up with the right to marry or whether they were using the terms interchangeably.

In any case, I wholeheartedly support the manner in which this was done. Other states should follow suit on controversial issues. The court should not be put in the position of legislature of last resort.

I couldn't tell from the story, are they using the terms "civil union" and marriage interchangeably? They seem to say that this gave the right to marry and they also said Vermont was the first state to grant civil unions. So I couldn't tell whether they gave the right to civil union and then followed that up with the right to marry or whether they were using the terms interchangeably.

In any case, I wholeheartedly support the manner in which this was done. Other states should follow suit on controversial issues. The court should not be put in the position of legislature of last resort.

California actually DID legalize gay marriage through the legislature. Prop 8 overturned it. It's in front of the CA Supreme Court right now and will likely overturn Prop 8 and re-legalize gay marriage in CA.

It is offensive to have a state-constitution amendment that other people vote on being decided by other people.

California actually DID legalize gay marriage through the legislature. Prop 8 overturned it. It's in front of the CA Supreme Court right now and will likely overturn Prop 8 and re-legalize gay marriage in CA.

It is offensive to have a state-constitution amendment that other people vote on being decided by other people.

I got confused on the other people and other people part of your post.

But, that's what you get when you have a state Constitution that recognizes initiative, referendum and recall. They are definitely more small 'd' democratic, but sometimes you really might not agree with what the people (majority) want.

Bad day for wingnuts. Rush Limbaugh's head is exploding. :evil:

No linky just yet, saw it on americablog. Vermont legislature just made gay marriage legal, on the heels of the Iowa doing likewise. :clap2:

And Washington DC has agreed to recognize any gay marriage performed in another state.

Here's a recent picture of DavidS's wedding in Vermont:

$DavidS.JPG

(click to enlarge)

Ha ha ha ha ha! I knew this would happen.

Now wait until churches aren't forced to marry gay people. What other ridiculous arguments against homosexuality will religious-types come up with?

Now wait until churches aren't forced to marry gay people. What other ridiculous arguments against homosexuality will religious-types come up with?

Where do Cons come up with that crap about churches being "forced" to marry gays? The Hannity and Limbaugh shows? Rightwing blogs?

they're going to be left with what they're always left with...some hand wringing and fainting about "slippery slope-isms".

there was a hilarious wingnut post somewhere around here, that suggested if we make gay marriage legal, why not make rape and robbery legal?

Last edited:

Too late, dumbass. Churches and religious people are already being harassed legally. And as we can see, the ridiculous response we're hearing from the anti-religious types like you is to look bewildered and go, "Whut?"

Too late, dumbass. Churches and religious people are already being harassed legally. And as we can see, the ridiculous response we're hearing from the anti-religious types like you is to look bewildered and go, "Whut?"

This I still don't get, where are you getting that? The churches and religious people are not forced to perform any ceremonies nor do they have to participate in the practice or be a party to the legal contracts ... so how are they being forced into anything?

The legalization of Sodomy between two adults is a miscarriage of our nations legal system, and it makes
the United States of America look like a nation of sexual deviants to the rest of the world.

The legalization of Sodomy between two adults is a miscarriage of our nations legal system, and it makes
the United States of America look like a nation of sexual deviants to the rest of the world.

Your post states the exact opposite of all fact.
Two men getting married to put their Penises into each others rectum/and or anus, is classified as Sodomy.! Anyway you cut it it is called Sodomy, and is still illegal in many countries throughout the world.

It is unnatural.Illegal, illogical , a waste of sperm, highly unethical.

Two men getting married to put their Penises into each others rectum/and or anus, is classified as Sodomy.! Anyway you cut it it is called Sodomy, and is still illegal in many countries throughout the world.

Does anyone know why this doofus is still appearing on my screen? Must be an oversight.

Begone.

... that's just your opinion and you are entitled to it, it doesn't make it fact. As for our reputation, the more equal rights we afford others the more angry the terrorists get and the happier all other countries get ... so yeah ...

Forum List

Back