Vermont Considers Doctor Assisted Suicide

I can't imagine anyone having a problem with it.

Wow. Where to start........

In general Conservatives have a BIG problem with euthanasia. It's just another way they can try and impose their moral beliefs on everyone else.

We can start with the Bush Administration. They tried to intervene with the Terri Schiavo case which was akin to euthanasia.

The Bush Administration also tried to overide the will of the voters by filing a lawsuit against Oregon's voter approved euthanasia law.

BUSH ADMINISTRATION CLAMPS DOWN ON OREGON EUTHANASIA | LifeSiteNews.com

And who can forget Rush Limbaugh (the national spokesman for conservatism) referring to Jack Kevorkian as "Jack the Dripper"?

Below are the two views clearly defined..........

CONSERVATIVE......Neither euthanasia nor physician-assisted suicide should be legalized. It is immoral and unethical to deliberately end the life of a terminally ill person (euthanasia), or enable another person to end their own life (assisted suicide). The goal should be compassionate care and easing the suffering of terminally ill people. Legalizing euthanasia could lead to doctor-assisted suicides of non-critical patients.If euthanasia were legalized, insurance companies could pressure doctors to withhold life-saving treatment for dying patients.Many religions prohibit suicide and euthanasia. These practices devalue human life.

Conservative vs. Liberal Beliefs

I disagree. It is not a Black/White or Left/Right issue.

By the way, Conservatives opposed Terri Schiavo's case because of the unique set of circumstances. The estranged husband wanted her dead, the parents wanted her alive. Also, she was in a coma- not dying from a terminal illness.

And I disagree with you.

It should NOT be a "Black/White or Left/Right issue" but when the Bush Administration sued to stop Oregon from implementing their voter approved law it became one.

I think you would be hard pressed to find any conservative group, publication, think tank, etc. that would not be actively opposed to euthanasia.

Love the title: AN ACT RELATING TO PATIENT CHOICE AND CONTROL AT END OF LIFE

who could argue with that?
:eusa_shhh:
The Vermont Legislative Bill Tracking System

Statement of purpose: This bill proposes to allow, subject to appropriate safeguards, a mentally competent person diagnosed as having less than six months to live to request a prescription which, if taken, would hasten the dying process.

The bill goes on to cite Oregon's "success" in this matter.

This bill is slated to go up for a vote tomorrow, March 14.

(politics? religion?)

Thoughts and opinions????
:eusa_silenced:
:clap2:

suibill.jpg

in religious marriage ceremonies doesn't the family give the bride away?

who the fuck is the family -- not next of kin.

By the way, Conservatives opposed Terri Schiavo's case because of the unique set of circumstances. The estranged husband wanted her dead, the parents wanted her alive. Also, she was in a coma- not dying from a terminal illness.

not true. Terri Schiavo was a vegetable. Her husband wanted to end the charade.

Terri Schiavo suffered severe, irreversible brain damage that left that organ discolored and scarred, shriveled to half its normal size, and damaged in nearly all its regions, including the one responsible for vision, according to an autopsy report released yesterday. - Schiavo Autopsy Released

...and religious and political arse-holes slandered the man and never apologized.

Rick Santorum's Mortal Sin in the Terri Schiavo Case - Esquire

Rick Santorum's Mortal Sin in the Terri Schiavo Case
By Charles P. Pierce
at 4:42PM

The invaluable Will Bunch at the Philadelphia Daily News has produced a compendium of the many ways Rick Santorum, Papist nutter and presidential candidate of the Single Entendre Party, has been (and is) both crazy and a big fat hypocrite, and these are in addition to the ways he demonstrated it last night at the nursing home.

Read more: Rick Santorum's Mortal Sin in the Terri Schiavo Case - Esquire

Last edited:

Terri Schiavo suffered severe, irreversible brain damage that left that organ discolored and scarred, shriveled to half its normal size, and damaged in nearly all its regions, including the one responsible for vision, according to an autopsy report released yesterday. - Schiavo Autopsy Released

...and religious and political arse-holes slandered the man and never apologized.

By Charles P. Pierce

The invaluable Will Bunch at the Philadelphia Daily News has produced a compendium of the many ways Rick Santorum, Papist nutter and presidential candidate of the Single Entendre Party, has been (and is) both crazy and a big fat hypocrite, and these are in addition to the ways he demonstrated it last night at the nursing home.

That Terri Schiavo debacle probably caused Rick to lose the election in PA. Pictures of him holding a prayer service to save her hmmm.

Santorum is no conservative..

By Charles P. Pierce

That Terri Schiavo debacle probably caused Rick to lose the election in PA. Pictures of him holding a prayer service to save her hmmm.

Terri Schiavo suffered severe, irreversible brain damage that left that organ discolored and scarred, shriveled to half its normal size, and damaged in nearly all its regions, including the one responsible for vision, according to an autopsy report released yesterday.

Her parents, Robert and Mary Schindler, of St. Petersburg, Fla., opposed Michael Schiavo. They believed their daughter interacted with them, including looking at objects they held. They said they were willing to care for her indefinitely.

Over the years the Schindlers' supporters included state lawmakers and members of Congress, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R), President Bush, Pope John Paul II and thousands of protesting citizens.

and Santorum an lots of conservative arse-holes hounded the husband. made a federal case out of it - literally

It was an unprecedented intervention into the life of a single citizen, but one that Republicans leading the effort said was necessary because Schiavo's life was at stake. The Supreme Court twice refused to intervene in the days preceding her death.

Those same GOP lawmakers said yesterday that the autopsy results do nothing to undermine their legal case.

"My concern was for due process, and due process is not a medical issue," said Sen. Mel Martinez (R-Fla.). Asked whether he had any regrets, Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), who visited Schiavo at the hospice in her last days, responded, "None whatsoever." He added: "If a state court decides to take the life of someone, there should be a federal review."

Schiavo Autopsy Released

By Charles P. Pierce

Terri Schiavo suffered severe, irreversible brain damage that left that organ discolored and scarred, shriveled to half its normal size, and damaged in nearly all its regions, including the one responsible for vision, according to an autopsy report released yesterday.

Her parents, Robert and Mary Schindler, of St. Petersburg, Fla., opposed Michael Schiavo. They believed their daughter interacted with them, including looking at objects they held. They said they were willing to care for her indefinitely.

Over the years the Schindlers' supporters included state lawmakers and members of Congress, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R), President Bush, Pope John Paul II and thousands of protesting citizens.

and Santorum an lots of conservative arse-holes hounded the husband. made a federal case out of it - literally

It was an unprecedented intervention into the life of a single citizen, but one that Republicans leading the effort said was necessary because Schiavo's life was at stake. The Supreme Court twice refused to intervene in the days preceding her death.

Those same GOP lawmakers said yesterday that the autopsy results do nothing to undermine their legal case.

"My concern was for due process, and due process is not a medical issue," said Sen. Mel Martinez (R-Fla.). Asked whether he had any regrets, Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), who visited Schiavo at the hospice in her last days, responded, "None whatsoever." He added: "If a state court decides to take the life of someone, there should be a federal review."

Schiavo Autopsy Released

I thought that the GOP was against "big gubmint" getting involved in the private lives and decisions of American citizens? :confused:

Chalk up another case of hypocrisy!!

Schiavo Autopsy Released

I thought that the GOP was against "big gubmint" getting involved in the private lives and decisions of American citizens? :confused:

Chalk up another case of hypocrisy!!

they love the long arm of big government -- when they can stick it up others asses.

And to think Kevorkian was put away for just that.

No he wasn't. There is a difference between assisted suicide and euthanasia.

I think I know where you're coming from but would you please explain the difference?

It depends on who administers the lethal drug. In PAS, it's the patient. In euthanasia it's someone other than the patient and often w/out patient consent.

Kavorkian was jailed for euthanasia. Not PAS. The state of Michigan tried and failed several times to convict him of PAS. Though it was against the law, no jury would convict him.

He eventually became so zealous that he started euthanizing and that is where he crossed the line.

If you are against suicide you ought not to commit suicide.

Pretty simply, huh?

I think I know where you're coming from but would you please explain the difference?

It depends on who administers the lethal drug. In PAS, it's the patient. In euthanasia it's someone other than the patient and often w/out patient consent.

Kavorkian was jailed for euthanasia. Not PAS. The state of Michigan tried and failed several times to convict him of PAS. Though it was against the law, no jury would convict him.

He eventually became so zealous that he started euthanizing and that is where he crossed the line.

That's the distinction I thought you were making.

As long as the patient is able to administer the dose then I can see your point. But in the end it really doesn't matter to me who does it as long as the patient made a clear and concise choice.

I love Futurama's take on assisted suicides.

For those of you who don't watch that show,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANwF2mDuOYw]Futuama movie.. - YouTube[/ame]

That's the distinction I thought you were making.

As long as the patient is able to administer the dose then I can see your point. But in the end it really doesn't matter to me who does it as long as the patient made a clear and concise choice.

It does to me. I would never support euthanasia. Just MO.

I'm still mixed on his case, because the patient wasn't physically able to administer the drug to himself, he was conscious of the decision he was making - I think the real issue was that it was filmed and televised.

I can't imagine anyone having a problem with it.

Wow. Where to start........

In general Conservatives have a BIG problem with euthanasia. It's just another way they can try and impose their moral beliefs on everyone else.

We can start with the Bush Administration. They tried to intervene with the Terri Schiavo case which was akin to euthanasia.

The Bush Administration also tried to overide the will of the voters by filing a lawsuit against Oregon's voter approved euthanasia law.

BUSH ADMINISTRATION CLAMPS DOWN ON OREGON EUTHANASIA | LifeSiteNews.com

And who can forget Rush Limbaugh (the national spokesman for conservatism) referring to Jack Kevorkian as "Jack the Dripper"?

Below are the two views clearly defined..........

LIBERAL....Euthanasia should be legalized. A person has a right to die with dignity, by his own choice. A terminally ill person should have the right to choose to end pain and suffering. It is wrong for the government to take away the means for a terminally ill person to hasten his death. It is wrong to force a person to go through so much pain and suffering. Legalizing euthanasia would not lead to doctor-assisted suicides of non-critical patients.Permitting euthanasia would reduce health care costs, which would then make funds available for those who could truly benefit from medical care.
CONSERVATIVE......Neither euthanasia nor physician-assisted suicide should be legalized. It is immoral and unethical to deliberately end the life of a terminally ill person (euthanasia), or enable another person to end their own life (assisted suicide). The goal should be compassionate care and easing the suffering of terminally ill people. Legalizing euthanasia could lead to doctor-assisted suicides of non-critical patients.If euthanasia were legalized, insurance companies could pressure doctors to withhold life-saving treatment for dying patients.Many religions prohibit suicide and euthanasia. These practices devalue human life.
Conservative vs. Liberal Beliefs

"In general", I guess I'm not a Conservative, then......

If someone feels that they're 'beyond repair', why shouldn't they be allowed to go out on their own terms?

The question is whether it really is on their own terms or not. After all, after euthanasia it's not likely that someone is going to complain that they really didn't give consent.

One of the arguments the ACLU made against putting people in mental institutions against their will is that too many people were in those institutions had nothing whatever wrong with them. Greedy families or people tired of having someone around signed affidavits, paid doctors off, and got committment papers. The problem with euthanasia is that there's no way to later come back and ask that person if they really wanted PAS or not.

Grampa is terminally ill in great pain. Grampa refuses PAS. A rational person in Grampa's position would accept PAS. Gramps is not capable of making a rational decision and it needs to be made for him. Rationally, kill Grampa for his own good before he wastes his estate on medical care.

Anyone who has read my posts know that I am seriously pro life. But that people have to be able to choose their own destiny.

My dad wasted away after a lung operation that reduced this big giant of a man to 60 lbs before cancer finally took him.

He really was like a Fess Parker. His name was Daniel Boone and he went from 240 lbs on a 6 foot three frame to this man I carried to the washroom and cradled in my arms.

I stayed for him. He wanted to die at home. So I came up from Tennessee to make this last journey.

If my dad had asked to have me expidite him, I swear I would have accomadated him. I watched the pain. It was horrific. And we are talking so bad. But he never asked.
He was determined to do it his way.

But you know what? I'm glad we made the fight together. We fought off death as long as we could. I'm a Castaneda die hard. You fight Death till the end.

Others can't. I understand that. I just don't know how balance the ethics of this.

What I'm worried about is the slippery slope. Where a "bean counter" goes "hello td gets it today"; we have to balance the books.

:D

And it's mr. shaman or franco counting.

Last edited:
Hey, if doctors want to commit suicide with their patients, fine with me. If the doctor lives, he gets murder sharges.

Forum List

Back