Verizon strike ending . Unions win new contract !

Timmy

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2015
While all the politicians talk a lot about "keeping good paying American jobs" it's the unions who go out and do just that .

Verizon reaches deal with 36,000 striking workers

Verizon reaches deal with 36,000 striking workers
May 27

NEW YORK

Verizon and its striking labor unions reached a tentative deal on Friday, potentially ending a six-week labor dispute involving 36,000 workers.

U.S. Labor Secretary Thomas Perez announced that Verizon and the unions have reached an "agreement in principle" on a four-year contract. He said he expects Verizon's (VZ, Tech30) striking workers to be "back on the job next week."

Verizon and its unions confirmed the deal but did not release specific details. However, the Communications Workers of America said Verizon has agreed to add "good union jobs" on the East Coast as part of the agreement. The CWA also said the agreement will improve the living standards of working families, and paves the way for the first contract for wireless retail store workers.

Why would rates increase ? Verizon makes billions a year .

Does anyone who has Verizon miss them while they were on strike?

I didn't....

Yall want everything to be wallymart.

Funny how CEO salaries never bother u , but some working stiff has a health plan and it angers you?

Yall want everything to be wallymart.

Funny how CEO salaries never bother u , but some working stiff has a health plan and it angers you?

They wanted a laundry list of things, and it's not disclosed what the settlement was.

As good as news as this may turn out to be, why is it in politics? Oh right, everything is politics to the left wing.

As good as news as this may turn out to be, why is it in politics? Oh right, everything is politics to the left wing.

Because the pols have been yapping about good paying jobs and outsourcing . None of them have any real details tho .

I didn't....

Me either. And like what's going on with this huge minimum wage increase, expect Verizon to invest in more automation.

You can't automate everything .

Just how should we keep good jobs anyway ?

You can automate everything and anything if money was no object .

I read an article this past weekend where Whole Foods is going with kiosks and it will eliminate 2/3 of the needed staff in each location

You can't automate everything .

Just how should we keep good jobs anyway ?

You mean before the strike, they weren't good jobs?

I would say they probably were always pretty good jobs; maybe not all, but in general.

If we want to keep jobs in this country, the worker can't get too greedy. If a worker feels like the company is making too much profit, then the employee can invest in the company he or she works for.

It seems to me this was all promoted by the union, that's because like many companies, Verizon wanted to offshore jobs which of course meant less money for those union pockets.

I didn't....

Me either. And like what's going on with this huge minimum wage increase, expect Verizon to invest in more automation.

Yes, because robots can go to a physical location, climb poles, find and repair a single pair of wires in thousands. Dream on.

If money was no object they could do it today fool....

Yes, because robots can go to a physical location, climb poles, find and repair a single pair of wires in thousands. Dream on.

Or they can make better investments in quality wiring and connections.

There were 40,000 workers on the east coast striking. I doubt if there is even a considerable percentage of them climbing polls.

Forum List

Back