Vergara's TCBY Ad

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
You see a magazine photo of a TV-personality such as Sofia Vergara (Modern Family) enjoying a cone of French Vanilla frozen yogurt she purchased from TCBY and you think to yourself, "This is great publicity for TCBY!"

Isn't that the hallmark of the age of media --- free advertising?

A celebrity purchases a product from a brand/chain, and the business gets immediate marketing in the proverbial court of public hearsay.

It's no wonder that recent films such as Jacob's Ladder (Timothy Robbins) and A Cure for Wellness (Dane DeHaan) explore the psycho-sociological impact of 'socially absorbed daydreams.'

I wish Orwell were here...I want his input on WikiLeaks.

====

CASTRO: Americans enjoy ice cream!
GUEVARA: We Cubans have to actually work for our gardens.
CASTRO: Maybe America will spawn a giant ice-cream company.
GUEVARA: Such a company would receive a lot of 'media attention.'
CASTRO: I propose we celebrate our own products.
GUEVARA: Sure.
CASTRO: How about a 'Fidel Falafel'?
GUEVARA: How about a 'Che Chimichanga'?
CASTRO: Television will shape multiculturalism.
GUEVARA: Coffee is a great industry in the Americas.
CASTRO: Americans will invent a capitalism board-game.
GUEVARA: Censorship issues will comprise the new Salem.

====

TCBY

A Cure for Wellness (Film)

vergara.jpg

You see a magazine photo of a TV-personality such as Sofia Vergara (Modern Family) enjoying a cone of French Vanilla frozen yogurt she purchased from TCBY and you think to yourself, "This is great publicity for TCBY!"

A celebrity purchases a product from a brand/chain, and the business gets immediate marketing in the proverbial court of public hearsay.

It's no wonder that recent films such as Jacob's Ladder (Timothy Robbins) and A Cure for Wellness (Dane DeHaan) explore the psycho-sociological impact of 'socially absorbed daydreams.'

====

====

TCBY

View attachment 108579

When I was a kid, I used to get high and write down stuff like that. I thought it was really profound until the next day when I was strait and realized just how dumb it was. I'm glad we didn't have the internet back then. That would have been so embarrassing.

====

====

TCBY

View attachment 108579
When I see a hottie like her licking on that thing I can assure you TCBY is the last thing on my mind.

Vanity Mirror

These are fun comments, but the basic point I'm making is that celebrities are 'unwitting participants' in capitalism-related merchandising in our modern age of media-gauged social dialogue (e.g., Charlie Rose).

You start to wonder if our celebrity-crazed culture is not too different from an Orwellian vision of brainwashed 'citizens' of Stalinist Russia...

Consider that an extremely prominent American celebrity pair such as Tom Cruise (actor portraying the American intelligence officer and all-around espionage 'daredevil' Ethan Hunt) and Jennifer Connelly (beautiful American actress who has portrayed the wife of a Nobel laureate - Alicia Nash) as 'magazine spokespersons' for couture leather-clothing/fashion ads/designers.

Would you feel less socially conscious about animal rights groups (e.g., PETA), when you see pictures of Cruise and Connelly wearing animal skin-derived leather fashions (perhaps they show up at a Juilliard Citzenry Conference together as a couple!)?

In other words, is media making us more consumer-euphoric or more lazy?

celeb.jpg

The Celebrity Drive?

If you think about how the camera distorts the mind and how the media distorts hearsay, you might consider the eerie link between commerce and deception, which is why perhaps Woody Allen made the fame-cynical film Celebrity.

Do you think Tom Cruise would drive a Fiat (perhaps a symbol of mercantile marksmanship) for an endorsement-joke?

Check out this caricature of John Elway (NFL QB), who is now being called a 'yesteryear Tom Brady.'

elway.jpg

Forum List

Back