Venice under water

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Italy declares emergency over Venice flooding

_109661382_gettyimages-1187401803.jpg

It is two different places. Summer and Winter. Winter is best. Less tourists and easy to get around. They are bringing in a tourist tax to protect the city. The money raised will be spent on flood defences.

This is not the first nor the last time Venice has been under water but Venetians are boat builders.

I've never been to Europe let alone Venice but if I vacation in Venice, the Bridge of Sighs is on my bucket list.

A city built on a bunch of tiny islands, in a lagoon, fed by the Adriatic Sea, and it floods. Often. I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked...

It is two different places. Summer and Winter. Winter is best. Less tourists and easy to get around. They are bringing in a tourist tax to protect the city. The money raised will be spent on flood defences.
Beautiful city, nothing like it in the world. No cars or public transportation. Only way to get around is by boat or walking

Been around for over 800 years, hope we can save it

Er, global, manmade, climate warming, er manmade change, er

"We redistribute de facto the world's wealth by climate policy" -- IPCC

it'll be fun watching eh RWinger .

It is an 800 year old city built on water
Wonder what our cities will look like in 800 years. With unchecked global warming, I doubt they will last as long as Venice

Tsk, tsk, "Tommy"! Fewer tourists, less tourism.
Yes, some of the charm of Venice has always been its intimate contact with the Mediterranean. It has also always been clear that someday the sea would take whatever it wanted. Venice is vanity in an exquisite form.

Beautiful city, nothing like it in the world. No cars or public transportation. Only way to get around is by boat or walking

Been around for over 800 years, hope we can save it

Sea level rise isn't the cause of this:

During the 20th century, when many artesian wells were sunk into the periphery of the lagoon to draw water for local industry, Venice began to subside. It was realized that extraction of water from the aquifer was the cause. The sinking has slowed markedly since artesian wells were banned in the 1960s. However, the city is still threatened by more frequent low-level floods—the Acqua alta, that rise to a height of several centimetres over its quays—regularly following certain tides. In many old houses, staircases once used to unload goods are now flooded, rendering the former ground floor uninhabitable.

Studies indicate that the city continues sinking at a relatively slow rate of 1–2 mm per annum;[45][46] therefore, the state of alert has not been revoked.

Venice - Wikipedia

Forum List

Back