Venezuela's Maduro closes more of country's border with Colombia

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
CARACAS, Venezuela – Venezuela’s President Nicolás Maduro late Monday said he had ordered more of his country’s vast border with Colombia closed amid a diplomatic crisis over deportations and smuggling.

“I have decided to close the border crossing at Paraguachón, Zulia state,” Maduro said in a televised address. He said he would send an additional 3,000 troops to the area.

In addition, Maduro said he would accept mediation by Brazil and Argentina, with Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos.

Paraguachón is one of the region’s largest trade hubs. The Venezuelan president said the closure would affect the Zulia towns of Mara and Almirante Padilla.

The countries have been locked in a row since Maduro on Aug. 19 closed part of the border after unidentified assailants attacked a Venezuelan anti-smuggling patrol, wounding three soldiers and a civilian. Maduro blamed the attack on right-wing paramilitaries from Colombia.

He has accused the neighboring country of waging an attack on Venezuela’s economy — a reference to the rampant smuggling of heavily subsidized food and other goods out of Venezuela, where more than five million Colombians live.

Maduro had already dispatched 5,000 troops to the area since mid-August.
Venezuela's Maduro closes more of country's border with Colombia -

This has got suck all over it.

Venezuela is suffering due to the oil prices, it's a shame they're blaming Colombia.

Venezuela is suffering due to the oil prices, it's a shame they're blaming Colombia.

Not that I am an expert on SA politics but I'm pretty good with friends down there. Yes the V's are suffering horridly at the oil prices. (no buffer zone) but here's the clincher that is happening.

Because V's are subsidizing food and oil and other commodities to help their populace, what is happening is Columbian gangs are coming down, getting the commodities dirt cheap from V gangs and then going back to Columbia and selling at rock bottom prices and making a fortune.

Not that I am an expert on SA politics but I'm pretty good with friends down there. Yes the V's are suffering horridly at the oil prices. (no buffer zone) but here's the clincher that is happening.

Because V's are subsidizing food and oil and other commodities to help their populace, what is happening is Columbian gangs are coming down, getting the commodities dirt cheap from V gangs and then going back to Columbia and selling at rock bottom prices and making a fortune.
The problem is, before the subsidized food, people were worse off in poor areas.. This is why maduro is still supported by the poor.

Just so everyone knows Venezuelans are not blaming Columbia for the oil prices. Its just an economic war based on trade.

The problem is, before the subsidized food, people were worse off in poor areas.. This is why maduro is still supported by the poor.

You and Disir seem very informed. This is good. I will watch for your posts more. This is good.

You and Disir seem very informed. This is good. I will watch for your posts more. This is good.

Thank you. You seem very informed yourself. Back at you.

If maduro manages to stay in power until oil prices start to rise again, if they ever do, he will probably regain popularity.

They are separate issues.

Yes and a very deadly one I see. I never even knew about what was happening until I fell into it on a BBC journey. I don't understand this. This counts to me. Obviously not to others.

If maduro manages to stay in power until oil prices start to rise again, if they ever do, he will probably regain popularity.

I wish sometimes we could keep our politics separate from our cultures. Please take no offense. I have many friends in SA all goes back to dog breedng. I bred Catahoulas. Long story.

Maybe we could have a political room with a pay per view (I'd place money on me every time :) and still talk about what we see and love about each other. Food. Now we learn from each other.

It is good.

May I ask. Is life that bad. That you run miles like this for this somehow dream? I'm no fool. I can trade off.

We must understand lives like this. Probably more than others lololol. because I can rock primitive.

But they count. I love this. We must go forward.

Forum List

Back