Venezuela's Chavez says Obama has "stench" of Bush

Chavez is just testing him. It's how he's going to react that I'm going to be watching.

Chavez is just testing him. It's how he's going to react that I'm going to be watching.

I agree and it is the first in a long chain of tests for our new Pres. He has no easy job ahead of him, managing perceptions being the most difficult. One thing that he has in his hip pocket is an adoring and complicit media, that may be enough to sway the easily swayed.

Did you think Just Because we elected Obama the world would change and like us?

Oh wait thats right you fucking idiots did think that didn't you.

Obama will change nothing about the way many feel about us.

In he case of HUGO, unless Obama comes out and says he intends to end Capitalism in America Hugo will not be making buds with him anytime soon.

Man you people are so foolish, I am amazed you managed to even survive.

do you acually think things will be different, or better under obama?

With respect to what others in the world think of the US, yes, not because of what Obama's policies may be but because the fact that we elected a black man as president will cause many people in the world, if not their leaders, to reexamine their notions of what we are like.

With respect to what others in the world think of the US, yes, not because of what Obama's policies may be but because the fact that we elected a black man as president will cause many people in the world, if not their leaders, to reexamine their notions of what we are like.

I'm sorry, but that's just wishful thinking. It won't be because of his skin color that could change their minds but if he deals with other powers better than Bush Jr. did, which I hope he does because we are less popular now than ever thanks to Bush Jr.. Unlike many in our country, most other countries are not so shallow to judge based on the appearance of who we elect.

just look at his isreali policies, he's been remarkably silent concerning the latest bombardment of gaza, but when it was the ecomony he was all over it.

LOL, why are you people all the same. If Obama doesn't change one justifiable stance that America makes, then he is part of the good old boy Bush network in Washington? Just because Obama will continue to support Israel doesn't make him Bush, ya moron!

Obama is going to differ on Bush in, just to name a few:
(1) Healthcare reform
(2) Taxes, especially to the upper class
(3) Immigration reform (actually only differing from the Republicans not Bush)
(4) Regulation on Wall Street
(5) Engaging our enemies aka Cuba, Iran and Syria
(6) Regulating Carbon Emissions
(7) Regulating the auto industry
and the list goes on and on!

I'm sorry, but that's just wishful thinking. It won't be because of his skin color that could change their minds but if he deals with other powers better than Bush Jr. did, which I hope he does because we are less popular now than ever thanks to Bush Jr.. Unlike many in our country, most other countries are not so shallow to judge based on the appearance of who we elect.

Look one decision, just one move, turned the world against us. Which was the invasion of Iraq. Many of you forget that before even 9/11, only so crazy Muslims in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia didn't like us to much, but much the world even Russia were our friends. Then after 9/11 we were getting sympathy from every part of the world! Sh1t we even got help from Iran with Afghanistan! Then the giant Bush decided to invade Iraq. he can say what he wants about the Iraq war, but it was the WORST PR move in American history. Iraq might end positive in terms of no Sadam, no WMD, a friend (yet cold, like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait) of the US and a democracy, but it was still the wrong battleground and a poor decision!

If Obama sticks to his guns and starts the pull out of Iraq, then it could at least make up look a little better!

So why do you believe a politician deserves our respect?

Maybe respect was the wrong word; support is probably better fit!

America is hurting right now. For better or worse Obama is our President for the next for year. Rationally speaking nothing is going to change that. I will give him the benefit of the doubt for the moment, because well what choice to we have?

Last edited:
Look one decision, just one move, turned the world against us. Which was the invasion of Iraq. Many of you forget that before even 9/11, only so crazy Muslims in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia didn't like us to much, but much the world even Russia were our friends. Then after 9/11 we were getting sympathy from every part of the world! Sh1t we even got help from Iran with Afghanistan! Then the giant Bush decided to invade Iraq. he can say what he wants about the Iraq war, but it was the WORST PR move in American history. Iraq might end positive in terms of no Sadam, no WMD, a friend (yet cold, like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait) of the US and a democracy, but it was still the wrong battleground and a poor decision!

If Obama sticks to his guns and starts the pull out of Iraq, then it could at least make up look a little better!

The question is whether we should pull our troops out of Iraq at a rate based on conditions on the ground or based on a timetable regardless of conditions on the ground. The present administration has already negotiated a timetable for withdrawal with the Iraqi government that is based on their expectations of when they will be able to successfully take over all security functions for themselves, and we have already scheduled the shift of 30,000 US troops from Iraq to Afghanistan this year. If we pull our troops out according to a timetable that disregards conditions on the ground and Iraq collapses into chaos, we will get none of the positive benefits you list and no PR benefit either.

How many members of a minority have become PM of Britain or Canada or Australia or president of France or held the highest political office in any other developed country? The fact that the US elected a black man with Muslim ancestry and an Arabic sounding name as President will change a lot of minds in the developing world about racism and opportunity in America even if they don't like Obama's policies any better than they liked Bush's.

How many members of a minority have become PM of Britain or Canada or Australia or president of France or held the highest political office in any other developed country? The fact that the US elected a black man with Muslim ancestry and an Arabic sounding name as President will change a lot of minds in the developing world about racism and opportunity in America even if they don't like Obama's policies any better than they liked Bush's.

he does have a point.....

Now this part I'm most interested in. Why was it the wrong battleground? It is completely profitless to attempt to fight a protracted battle in Afghanistan/Pakistan as Obama is about to find out. In case, you haven't been paying attention to recent news, let me tell you why:

- Background, Afghanistan is a central Asian country with no borders on the ocean. In order to prosecute a war, one needs to maintain a logistical train substantive enough to adequately support and supply the warriors.
- In the past week, Putin has successfully black mailed the the Kygicistan government into closing the US military base in its territory that was a vital supply link to Afghanistan.
- "Due to missile launches" the Pakistanis have "temporarily" closed the main supply route through its territory used by the US.

Lest this information be too arcane to arrive at your own conclusion, the one you should arrive at is that unless we have complete control of our logistical train, we cannot successfully fight a war. Iraq gave us that place, Afghanistan doesn't. We needed to engage the Mass of AQ and we needed a place to do it, as demonstrated, Afghanistan ain't it. If Obama and his advisers don't see that, we're in for something worse than Vietnam. (Well worse than Vietnam was for us, it'll be about the same as it was for the French. That's a Dein Ben Phu reference.)

As I said, his appearance isn't going to be the deciding factor, his actions may (or may not) close the gaps Bush Jr. created. We can hope for that.

Well, it just goes to show, that even though Obama will officially be the POTUS tomorrow morning--it hasn't changed a thing--regarding the left's calls about the "world hates us"-because President Bush was in office. Now it looks like they'll be hating Obama too.

I hope these same people realise that Obama has to walk a very tight rope. He sees the exact same daily terrorist threats that Bush has been focused on since 9/11. He now has the # 1 primary duty of keeping Americans citizens "safe" from terrorists.

I just hope for everyone sake that a President Obama takes these threats just has seriously as P. Bush--regardless of opinions from the likes of Chavez. It's much more important to keep this country safe, than win a world wide popularity contest.

Forum List

Back