Vegetative brains show glimmers of awareness

Status
Not open for further replies.
&

☭proletarian☭

NEW YORK - Scientists have detected glimmers of awareness in some vegetative brain-injury patients and have even communicated with one of them — findings that push the boundaries of how to assess and care for such people. The new research suggests that standard tests may overlook patients who have some consciousness, and that someday some kind of communication may be possible.
In the strongest example, a 29-year-old patient was able to answer yes-or-no questions by visualizing specific scenes the doctors asked him to imagine. The two visualizations sparked different brain activity viewed through a scanning machine.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

“We were stunned when this happened,” said one study author, Martin Monti of Medical Research Council Cognitive and Brain Sciences Unit in Cambridge, England. “I find it literally amazing. This was a patient who was believed to be vegetative for five years.”

Vegetative brains show glimmers of awareness - More health news- msnbc.com

☭proletarian☭;1972358 said:
NEW YORK - Scientists have detected glimmers of awareness in some vegetative brain-injury patients and have even communicated with one of them — findings that push the boundaries of how to assess and care for such people. The new research suggests that standard tests may overlook patients who have some consciousness, and that someday some kind of communication may be possible.
In the strongest example, a 29-year-old patient was able to answer yes-or-no questions by visualizing specific scenes the doctors asked him to imagine. The two visualizations sparked different brain activity viewed through a scanning machine.

“We were stunned when this happened,” said one study author, Martin Monti of Medical Research Council Cognitive and Brain Sciences Unit in Cambridge, England. “I find it literally amazing. This was a patient who was believed to be vegetative for five years.”

oh good---there's still hope for Ravi

and what type of quality of life will such 'vegetative' person have? i'm not sure the thought of being at all aware of what's happening isn't worse.

we're kinder to our pets.

and what type of quality of life will such 'vegetative' person have? i'm not sure the thought of being at all aware of what's happening isn't worse.

If you're not sure, kill em--that's what I always say.

you are free to leave a living will that says to keep you alive...and give a health care proxy to someone who will effectuate those wishes.

you are free to leave a living will that says to keep you alive...and give a health care proxy to someone who will effectuate those wishes.

Thanks counselor--what do I owe you ?:lol:

Even if there is a glimmering of hope, what kind of life is that? All the resources to take care of a person who can barely be aware of what's going on around them and can't do much of anything else

yeah, imagine being trapped in a body in which you can't do anything, this finding makes it even more horrific to string someone like that along

Even if there is a glimmering of hope, what kind of life is that? All the resources to take care of a person who can barely be aware of what's going on around them and can't do much of anything else

mostly it THEIR life--not yours

Couldn't we asl them 'do you want to keep living like this?'?

they can't even communicate what they want.

You sound pretty sick if you think keeping a vegetative person alive is moral and right.

Like someone said, we treat our pets better, as when they are dying we put them to sleep peacefully, instead of stringing them along for a long, painful death

You sound pretty sick if you think keeping a vegetative person alive is moral and right.

Like someone said, we treat our pets better, as when they are dying we put them to sleep peacefully, instead of stringing them along for a long, painful death

killing them is obviously the way to go

yes it is, and technically they would be dead without measure keeping them alive for no apparent reason, wasting valuable resources that can go to someone who can actually live a life

Reality, its not always pleasant.

yes it is, and technically they would be dead without measure keeping them alive for no apparent reason, wasting valuable resources that can go to someone who can actually live a life

good thing we have somone here to tell us the way to live life

yeah, good thing their are rational people that can view things realistically so people that think life is a fantasy won't waste resources and keep vegetative people trapped in their bodies for years and years.

yeah, good thing their are rational people that can view things realistically so people that think life is a fantasy won't waste resources and keep vegetative people trapped in their bodies for years and years.

damn the torpedoes----pass the resources----I figure anyone over 50 is just wasting them anyway

damn the torpedoes----pass the resources----I figure anyone over 50 is just wasting them anyway

continuing to be dumb on purpose? Yes, a 50 year old with brain function, the ability to move around, communicate, think is really comparable to a vegetative person stuck on life support or a feeding tube just staring off into space since the brain is swiss cheese.

yes, that' really comparable:cuckoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back