Vegetarian Recipes

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I've recently become very good friends with a woman who is a vegetarian, and has been all her life. This means that not only does she not eat any meat, it actually makes her violently ill, because her digestive system has never had to deal with it. My own family is fairly carnivorous, although we enjoy a wide range of food groups, so I'm at a bit of a loss for foods I can prepare when she's visiting that she can actually eat.

Do any of you know any good, nutritious vegetarian recipes I could use? She doesn't have a problem with animal PRODUCTS, like dairy foods, so that at least isn't a problem. It's just the actual dead animal flesh that's an issue.

Tried these recently and they are very good....

VEGETARIAN TOSTADAS WITH AVOCADO AND
CHEESE

4 flour tortillas (6 to 7 inches in diameter)
1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 c. finely shredded lettuce
1/4 c. diced ripe tomato
2 tsp. minced seeded fresh jalapeno or other green chile pepper
1/4 c. canned vegetarian-style refried beans
6 tbsp. mashed ripe avocado
1/4 c. crumbled reduced-fat goat cheese or feta or shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack or Cheddar
6 pitted jumbo olives, thinly sliced
4 thin slices sweet onion, separated into rings

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Brush the tortillas lightly on both sides with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil. Place on a baking sheet and bake until crisp and golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon oil with the vinegar, salt, black pepper and 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon water. Whisk or beat with a fork until well blended.

In a medium bowl, toss the lettuce, tomato and jalapeno pepper. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss.

Spread 1 tablespoon of the refried beans over each tortilla. Spread 2 tablespoons of the mashed avocado over the beans on each tostada. Top with the salad and garnish with the cheese, olive slices and onion rings. 4 servings.

This one is good also..

ARRIBITTA (HOT VEGETARIAN SPAGHETTI)

2 banana peppers, chopped
3 to 4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 can black olives, chopped
4 tbsp. olive oil
1 can tomatoes with juice
1 can artichoke hearts, chopped

Put above in a pot and simmer to a boil. Serve over hot spaghetti noodles, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Last edited:
Tried these recently and they are very good....

VEGETARIAN TOSTADAS WITH AVOCADO AND
CHEESE

Those sound so yummy! Got to try that.

I do a vegetarian soup, though I'll admit no measuring, depends on what I have in cupboard/freezer/vegetable bin:

frozen/fresh:
corn
beans
peas
tomatoes (if canned, salt free) I don't like 'crushed'
salt free tomato sauce
broccoli
red pepper
green pepper
yellow pepper
green onions or leeks
combination or singular, I use salt free:
black beans
white beans
garbonzo beans
red beans

Depending on what is thrown together, enough low sodium vegetable broth to your desire. I usually do this in a crock pot, but can do on range. I bring to almost boiling then let simmer for at least 45 minutes.

For non-vegetarians or if reheating left overs, can throw in chopped beef roast, shrimp, or chicken. (I make a lot and freeze into lunch portions, sometimes adding meat.)

Oh wow! Forgot spices-would be a problem if your tastes are anything like mine:

sea salt
pepper
red pepper
cilantro
cumin

all to taste!

Last edited:
I LOVE avacados sooo I'm biased :eusa_shhh:

That soup sounds great...I will have to try it with Shrimp. Always looking for new ways to cook seafood..

Thanks you, please see the *edit*, I forgot the most important ingredients. ;)

If you like Jambalaya this is a good vegitarian version.

Veggie Jamalaya

1 Tbsp. oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups water
14 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
15 oz. can butter beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz. can red beans, rinsed and drained

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, green bell pepper, celery, and garlic in hot oil until tender, about 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, cayenne and fennel seed.
Bring to a boil and add rice. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until rice is tender, stirring frequently.

Add beans and cover. Simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until well heated, stirring frequently. To freeze, cool casserole in refrigerator and ladle into plastic freezer containers. Seal and freeze. To reheat, place frozen jambalaya in saucepan and heat over very low heat, breaking up and stirring frequently, until hot. Serves 6-8

Calories: 340
Fat: 4 grams

This next one I actually found on a Progresso soup label...I didn't make the vegitarian version, but the regular sausage version is good..

Vegetarian Italian Pasta Skillet Dinner (serves two)

1 1/3 cups frozen sausage-style soy-protein crumbles
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion (1 medium)
1 can (18.5 oz) Progresso® Light Italian-style vegetable soup
3/4 cup uncooked bow-tie (farfalle) pasta (2 oz)
2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella or Parmesan cheese (1 oz)

1. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook soy crumbles, mushrooms and onion over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until crumbles are hot and vegetables are tender.
2. Stir in soup. Cover; heat to boiling. Stir in pasta; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; simmer 10 minutes.
3. Add spinach; cook uncovered 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until spinach is hot and just begins to wilt. Sprinkle with cheese

Last edited:
If you like Jambalaya this is a good vegitarian version.

Veggie Jamalaya

1 Tbsp. oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups water
14 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
15 oz. can butter beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz. can red beans, rinsed and drained

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, green bell pepper, celery, and garlic in hot oil until tender, about 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, cayenne and fennel seed.
Bring to a boil and add rice. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until rice is tender, stirring frequently.

Add beans and cover. Simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until well heated, stirring frequently. To freeze, cool casserole in refrigerator and ladle into plastic freezer containers. Seal and freeze. To reheat, place frozen jambalaya in saucepan and heat over very low heat, breaking up and stirring frequently, until hot. Serves 6-8

Calories: 340
Fat: 4 grams

This next one I actually found on a Progresso soup label...I didn't make the vegitarian version, but the regular sausage version is good..

Vegetarian Italian Pasta Skillet Dinner (serves two)

1 1/3 cups frozen sausage-style soy-protein crumbles
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion (1 medium)
1 can (18.5 oz) Progresso® Light Italian-style vegetable soup
3/4 cup uncooked bow-tie (farfalle) pasta (2 oz)
2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella or Parmesan cheese (1 oz)

1. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook soy crumbles, mushrooms and onion over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until crumbles are hot and vegetables are tender.
2. Stir in soup. Cover; heat to boiling. Stir in pasta; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; simmer 10 minutes.
3. Add spinach; cook uncovered 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until spinach is hot and just begins to wilt. Sprinkle with cheese

Both sound good. I'd add lots of seafood to the jumbalaya. Funny I am or rather my tastebuds, if it's 'spiced' got to have proteing. Bland and veggies, ok. In either case, I cut the sodium.

Both sound good. I'd add lots of seafood to the jumbalaya. Funny I am or rather my tastebuds, if it's 'spiced' got to have proteing. Bland and veggies, ok. In either case, I cut the sodium.

I know...I love the sausage and shrimp version best. I tried the other one time, when I was out of the meat and was too lazy/broke to go to the store..:tongue:

Most of my recipes are found while trying to be creative with whats on hand at any given time. Gotta eat even between paydays..:lol:

Me too, I love making up my own which sometimes turn out great, I never can replicate them though. :eusa_eh:

Depending on the occasion, and the appropriate class of cuisine, you might want to make a salsa and chips, or guacamole with chips because you don't have to think how to make that special for a vegetarian because it already is completely vegetable and grain.

Depending on the occasion, and the appropriate class of cuisine, you might want to make a salsa and chips, or guacamole with chips because you don't have to think how to make that special for a vegetarian because it already is completely vegetable and grain.

Vegetarian snack foods are easy, but she usually spends the night when she comes over, which means I really need to be able to feed her an actual meal that won't kill her.

okay this one is simple and is a good snack...take a tofu cake and squeeze out all the moisture..then freeze it...when frozen take it out and slice it..then fry it till its golden borwn...then dip it into soy sauce..great snack

the reason you freeze it...is that is the only way to really get tofu to absorb the flavor of the food you are cooking it with....

what are them flat ass tacos called....you can do a lot of things with them..cheese and beans....sprouts...and cheese...lots of damned cheese lol..they are quick for veggie snacks

normally you dont have to go to a lot of trouble to feed the veggies....the vegans can be a lot tougher when they dont eat any animal products...hello you dont like butter???

Vegetarian snack foods are easy, but she usually spends the night when she comes over, which means I really need to be able to feed her an actual meal that won't kill her.
Spaghetti and marinara sauce or pesto, or a number of different pastas and non-meat sauces or cheese.

You can also take her to the vegan or especially Indian restaurants for a change. They can offer you various dishes.....

Oh, we have an ever-increasing list of restaurants we want to hit when we're not both poverty-stricken. ;) One of the best things about living in a large city that attracts a diverse population is the enormous variety of ethnic foods available. When I'm not feeling particularly carnivorous, I like to hit the Middle Eastern restaurant and pig out on baba ganoush and pita bread.

When in doubt go pick up a box of Morning Star veggie bacon, cook it and make vegetarian BLT's!

I am addicted to those things,,,,they are one of my TOP 5 fav foods.

Or, for breakfast just make her some scrambled eggs and whole wheat toast.

Lunch could be grilled cheese and tomato soup.

Easy things that you most likely already have in the house.

If you feel like cooking, you can never, ever go wrong with vegetarian lasagna!

Vegetarian Lasagna

When in doubt go pick up a box of Morning Star veggie bacon, cook it and make vegetarian BLT's!

I am addicted to those things,,,,they are one of my TOP 5 fav foods.

Or, for breakfast just make her some scrambled eggs and whole wheat toast.

Lunch could be grilled cheese and tomato soup.

Easy things that you most likely already have in the house.

If you feel like cooking, you can never, ever go wrong with vegetarian lasagna!

Vegetarian Lasagna

I wish I could find a tomato soup in the store that isn't loaded with sugars, because I used to love the stuff, and I can't eat it now without getting sick. :(

From Campbell soup recipe book...

Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Shells

(15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and well drained
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
18 jumbo shell-shaped pasta, cooked and drained
1 (25.75 ounce) jar Prego® Chunky Garden Combination Italian Sauce

Stir the ricotta cheese, broccoli, 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and black pepper in a medium bowl. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture into each shell.
Spread 1 cup of the pasta sauce in a 13x9x2-inch shallow baking dish. Place the filled shells on the sauce. Pour the remaining pasta sauce over the shells. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes or until hot.

Time-Saving Tip: To thaw the broccoli, microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes.

This one is very good also...

Chili Rellenos Casserole

2 (7 ounce) cans whole green chile peppers, drained
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
8 ounces Longhorn or Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 eggs, beaten
1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Lay half of the chilies evenly in bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the Jack and Cheddar cheeses, and cover with remaining chilies. In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, and flour, and pour over the top of the chilies.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, pour tomato sauce evenly over the top, and continue baking another 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Jack and Cheddar cheeses, and serve.

Forum List

Back