Vegans! What do you think of them?

cookinglobster5.jpg
Um yeahhhh.... no giant underwater spiders for me, thanks.

You can has.

:eusa_doh:The suggestion by the GOVERNMENT that smoking is bad for you influenced the tobacco market, and now vastly reduced numbers of children do not smoke, and will not develop lung cancer in huge numbers.

Was that bad, too?

How many more examples would you like me to come up with?
Comparing eating meat with smoking tobacco? How does THAT work?

No, comparing suggestions by the GOVERNMENT that influence markets.

YOUR red herring, not mine. Care to continue with it? There are loads of examples.

:)
I prefer the LEAST government influence on markets. So, yeah, the government warning label on smoking tobacco does influence the market for tobacco. I understand it's for consumer health reasons. As a smoker, it's too bad it doesn't influence me, personally. Grrrrr. Bad addiction.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how eating meat compares to smoking tobacco as far as health is concerned.

California - I learned the hard way that many, many "ethical, local farms" who claim to treat animals well do not do so. Not saying all of them don't, but people tend to say what their consumers wish to hear. It is not always just factory farms who do this.

And I would rather cows become extinct instead of them being born to suffer immensely before an excruciating death. It has always bothered me that farm animals (many of them) only exist to be killed for consumption. They are a species with an expiration date, and awful living conditions. This saddens me.

It's easy to believe farmers when they say "happy cows come from California" and so on. But again, they just tell you what you want to hear. Factory farms especially (among others) are interested mainly in profit. It's cheaper to treat animals like crap and kill them in ways you can't imagine (long, slowly, painfully). Sadly their welfare is less important to them than a quick buck.

I worked on a kill floor. The pigs and cows died instantly. They didn't suffer.

My uncle worked in the meat processing business for 30 years. He got me a job one summer in unversity. I worked on hog kill. They herded them up a ramp, then "stuck" them with an electrified rod from a gun that killed them instantly. Their tails and ears would go straight from their electricity. That was standard practice in Canada. Cows were stuck in their pens. I don't know what the practice was in the US though I'm not sure why it would be different. I'm sure you can always find abuses that make great TV, but that isn't representative of the industry, at least where I'm from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparing eating meat with smoking tobacco? How does THAT work?

YOUR red herring, not mine. Care to continue with it? There are loads of examples.

I prefer the LEAST government influence on markets. So, yeah, the government warning label on smoking tobacco does influence the market for tobacco. I understand it's for consumer health reasons. As a smoker, it's too bad it doesn't influence me, personally. Grrrrr. Bad addiction.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how eating meat compares to smoking tobacco as far as health is concerned.

Hmmm....I guess you don't read what I post.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/healt...ou-think-of-them-post5702282.html#post5702282

And while it has a health factor, I didn't directly compare the health implications of tobacco and meat/dairy.

I compared the suggestions by the GOVERNMENT that influence markets.

Not gonna let you sidetrack me into a different subject. :)

I worked on a kill floor. The pigs and cows died instantly. They didn't suffer.

My uncle worked in the meat processing business for 30 years. He got me a job one summer in unversity. I worked on hog kill. They herded them up a ramp, then "stuck" them with an electrified rod from a gun that killed them instantly. Their tails and ears would go straight from their electricity. That was standard practice in Canada.

Well, there's your answer.

Cows were stuck in their pens. I don't know what the practice was in the US though I'm not sure why it would be different. I'm sure you can always find abuses that make great TV, but that isn't representative of the industry, at least where I'm from.

You've got to be kidding. :eusa_hand:

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently became vegan (for ethical reasons) and realized that it's much easier than I previously anticipated it would be. :) So that puts a smile on my face. I'm wondering what those who post here think of veganism.

And, if anyone has any questions about the lifestyle, feel free to ask! :D

Just means more meat for me.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/healt...ou-think-of-them-post5702282.html#post5702282

And while it has a health factor, I didn't directly compare the health implications of tobacco and meat/dairy.

I did read what you posted. And, I'm not sidetracking you. Obviously, I don't have much issue with the smoking influence. I DO have issue with the meat influence. And, the reasoning is that the meat does not even closely rise to the level of tobacco in health concerns.

As I said, the LEAST influence on the markets as necessary is a fundamental political canon for many in the USA. I bet we both agree on that. Where we likely disagree is on the word "necessary", I bet.

I did read what you posted. And, I'm not sidetracking you. Obviously, I don't have much issue with the smoking influence. I DO have issue with the meat influence. And, the reasoning is that the meat does not even closely rise to the level of tobacco in health concerns.

As I said, the LEAST influence on the markets as necessary is a fundamental political canon for many in the USA. I bet we both agree on that. Where we likely disagree is on the word "necessary", I bet.
Yeah, I agree. I just think it's childish and quite revealing that these Congresscritters came out with these tweets, like suggesting to people that having Meatless Monday is some affront and attack on the livestock lobby that must be beaten back down.

There ARE health benefits to not eating meat every single day of your life.

I recently became vegan (for ethical reasons) and realized that it's much easier than I previously anticipated it would be. :) So that puts a smile on my face. I'm wondering what those who post here think of veganism.

They are sure tasty!

:badgrin:

My uncle worked in the meat processing business for 30 years. He got me a job one summer in unversity. I worked on hog kill. They herded them up a ramp, then "stuck" them with an electrified rod from a gun that killed them instantly. Their tails and ears would go straight from their electricity. That was standard practice in Canada.

Well, there's your answer.

Cows were stuck in their pens. I don't know what the practice was in the US though I'm not sure why it would be different. I'm sure you can always find abuses that make great TV, but that isn't representative of the industry, at least where I'm from.

You've got to be kidding. :eusa_hand:

I believe that was the way they slaughtered hogs at the plants he later ran in California too.

I think most of them are fakes.

Most people like meat, and those that don't are vegetarians.

The rest are mostly fakes and frauds faking some kind of moral high ground.

"I won't eat anything with a face." plants are alive as well.
"We can get just as much protein from...." bs, you're not getting the right kinds of proteins and are missing out on other essential vitamins and nutrients.
"I won't support the evil meat industry" lame, you over support big agro who hire and abuse illegals to farm their land.

Eat what you want I do'nt really care but the ethical reasons are absurd to me. The growers of vegatables rape the earth, don't rotate crops and just move to anotheer plot when the one they have can't grow any more crops.

Forum List

Back