Vegans! What do you think of them?

I am really looking forward to getting my big place up and running. (The small place I'm using now is pretty limited, 200 acres will make a big difference.) I plan on marketing grass-fed beef. I know of several small producers up here who pay their annual mortgage selling grass-fed beef to people who are willing to put a down payment on a half or whole animal. Of course, lots of people will do their own butchering up here because so many hunt, too. I'm actually researching raising yaks, but am not certain how big the market for such meat might be. Yaks are easier to raise than bison and they can also be used for milk and fiber production as well as for meat. They also make some pretty handy pack animals. I like the multipurpose aspect of such an animal.
I'll eat almost no store-bought chicken or eggs. Again, I have to wait until I get the big place up and running. If you've had fresh chicken or eggs from a small holder, especially those who eat what they produce, you won't go back to store bought unless forced to.

Yak? Sounds very interesting, I'll have to see if I can find some Yak meat to sample! I will tell you that I have developed a real taste for Wild boar. My wife makes a bolognese sauce using ground wild boar....yum! Maybe you could buy a few males and females, and let nature do the rest.....:lol:

EDIT- found this guy in Vermont who will ship grass fed Yak. Vermont Yak
The Vermont Yak Company sells organic Yak meat. You purchase a $100 share of meat online, by mail or phone. I purchased using Paypal, Then you pick the freshly frozen meat up at their farm in Waitsfield VT or they will ship the frozen meat to you via UPS. I picked up my one 10 lb share of meat today. 4 lbs of ground Yak, 1 T-Bone Steak, and the rest in three flavors of sausage. I can't wait to get this meat on the grill very soon. One of the Owner operators that I delt with was Rob, very pleasant and very accommodating. I will be doing business with them again. The cost works out to $10 per pound, not cheap but what are you willing to pay for high quality grass fed organic high protein meat? You get what you pay for.
Also, there is a restaurant nearby in Venice that has a number of dishes with fresh Yak....I am going to check it out! I's gonna get me some YAK!!!

I'd be pleased if you let me know your opinion of yak. The folks up here who sell it swear by it, but then, I would too if I were trying to sell it!:wink_2:

will do!

no-such-thing-as-vegan.jpg

I would love to show that to the bosses at PETA and see them get out of that one.

We are designed to eat meat as well as veggies .... I don't really care if someone doesn't eat meat just means more for me but I do find this thread humorous. Some of you act like cows are abused. Yet forcing people to malnutrition from lack of meat isn't ?

I had a friend that raised some bison until one of them killed him.

Uh, yeah...they aren't just furry cows.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNvTHOrTf_Y]Bison Charges at Tourist - YouTube[/ame]

People up here raise bison, too. They are notorious for getting through fences. Great meat, though.

Believe it or not, people up here will approach both bears and moose to pet them or get nice videos to show the folks back home. I guess some of them have a difficult time believing that the moose in downtown Anchorage isn't tame.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK-RN8C1mOE]MOOSE ATTACK ALASKA - YouTube[/ame]

@ California - I am a vegan because I don't want to support (with my dollar) the meat and dairy industries, which are known for treating their animals very cruelly and inhumanely. I also don't want anything to have to die for me to eat it. I can eat other things. :)

You do know that other lifeforms still die in order for you to eat.

Lifeforms such as plants, fungi(Oh--I love mushrooms, by the way) and certain micro-organisms as well.

Also, add in the fact that many nuts and fruits are the immature forms of plants, and you are literally stealing the food from, or eating, the babies of other living things!!

Tell me--is it because the other stuff can't scream is the reason you don't think about their lives? Cows can scream and communicate pain--but the Banana just sit while its skin is peeled back and its innards torn to bits. Is that really considered ok?

By the way--there are only a few living things that can consume with out the need to kill another lifeform. We humans are naturally not one of those lifeforms.

If you have ever watched undercover footage of the industry "standard" (which is animal torture) at factory farms, you might wish to reconsider the "other life forms have to die so you can eat" position. Let me tell you, it is BRUTAL.

Plants have no nervous system, they cannot feel pain. They have no brain, they cannot think or feel anything. So no, I don't feel guilty about eating a plant's fruit because it is not alive in the same way flesh/blood creatures are.

I've used to shoot cows in the head with an air gun. I used the "other life forms have to die so you can eat" position to rationalize eating meat!!

Reconsider t--it was formed out of rationalizing brutality for that Steak!

And Steak still tastes yummy to me thanks to my rationalization!

Now this thing about plants not feeling pain so it is okay to eat them sounds like if we can dope the animals up with some barbituates, then the meat is ripe for our taking. So, is doped up farm animals a prerequisite for vegans to eat meat?

Nope, no leather for me.

So, why are you a vegan and why do you hate cows so much that you wish to see them disappear from the planet?

You're one of the more stupid rw's here but, what the hell, I'll educate you.

First, I've been vegetarian/vegan for more than thirty years. I'm vegan at home but we travel a lot, eat out a lot, so its hard to eat vegan away from home or out of the country. Although, I must say, its getting easier and easier.

Even the most ignorant knows that veg'n is healthier than any other "diet" but they make lots of noise to cover the facts they don't want to look at.

There's always some fool who throws out the red herring of collateral damage. This is actually the dumbest "argument" because they eat vegetables too. So, the damage they do to the planet or the suffering they cause is much ore because they not only eat veggies, they pile dead animal bodies on top of their veggies. DUMB.

Then there are those who say some dumb thing like, "yabut, you use petrochemicals too. To say that's apples ad oranges doesn't even begin to cover it. How about apples ad tennis rackets!

Then there's the, "where do you get your protein?" stupidity. The answer is, same place you get yours. Fact is, we cannot metabolize protein. We get it from the same place every other mammal gets it - the essential amino acids. Look it up.

Another red herring that some idiot will throw out is "hunters". Jeeeeezus.

First, because they are SO damn ignernt, they'll trot out white tail deer as though that's something to be proud of.

More pesky facts is that deer were hunted to near extinction by stupid hunters who don't have balls so have carry a gun instead. These idiots will say the want to put food on the table for their families and don't that just bring a tear to yore eye?

More facts ... Because they wanted to be able to blast the life out of more deer, the gumt stepped in and "managed" them. They managed them so well that they are now so dammed common, they're considered varmints. In spite of that, the GOVERNMENT pays DEER FARMS to "grow" more. Check google.

I confess a grudging respect for idiots who kill their own meat. I've been through slaughter houses and the old saw is true - that if most of us had to do THAT ourselves, we'd go veg in a flash. So, there's a very VERY small segment of our society that enjoys killing, enjoys bloodletting. That figure, last I read, and according to the NRA, was less than 5%.

The rest of us want our "meat" wrapped in antiseptic cellophane. Now THAT is real cowardice.

Anyway, going veg is the single biggest thing you can do for the environment. Since ignernt rw's desperately want to be able to tell their children and grandchildren they worked hard to kill the planet, they should eat all the BBQ's flesh they can find. (BBQ'd because that adds additional carcinogens and we all know how important to the dumbest rw's among us.)

For those who want to be healthy and work toward leaving a healthier planet than they found when they got here, read Kathy Freston, Tom Robbins (of Basin-Robbins) and other intelligent, educated authors.

VeganMe - good posts but don't' expect many here to be as intelligent and well read as you are.

Last edited:
^I had the most delicious lamb roast last night. Yours looks pretty tasty, too!

Lamb is pretty hard to find around these parts sometimes. A lady down the road found two sheep roaming around, though. She asked me if I might be interested if she can't find their owner. Of course, I think she's considering me taking them on as pets, or something. Lot's of people don't understand that not all livestock are pets. My livestock is more like....production associates.

I picked up some wild boar sausage yesterday and will be trying them out on the grill later today......I am going to bbq some peaches with them.
porter-house-steak-grilled-peaches.jpg

Here's the recipe I am following for the peaches....

Ingredients

4 large ripe freestone peaches
8 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
8 fresh mint leaves
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup dark rum
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch salt
Peach or vanilla ice cream, for serving

Directions

Rinse the peaches and blot them dry with paper towels. Cut each peach in half and discard the pit. Then, cut each peach into quarters. Using a pointed chopstick or metal skewer, make a starter hole in the center of each peach quarter, working from the pit side to the skin side. Skewer 2 peach quarters on each cinnamon stick, placing a mint leaf between the 2 quarters.

Combine the butter, brown sugar, rum, cinnamon, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Let the glaze boil until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes.

Prepare and preheat the grill to high. Brush and oil the grate. Next, place the skewered peaches on the hot grate and grill until nicely browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side, basting with the rum and butter glaze. Spoon any remaining glaze over the grilled peaches and serve at once. Peach or vanilla ice cream makes a great accompaniment.

I might have to try that for moose. Wish me luck, moose season starts soon.

Does Moose taste gamey? So far I draw the line at Elk....

That very much depends on how you prepare your meat. Pack fresh kill in plastic...tastes like cheet. Pack your fresh kill in game bags and hang it to age...nom, nom! I prefer Dall Sheep, but moose will do in a pinch. Moose meat is far superior to the crap you are offered in the grocery, though.

Forum List

Back