Vegans! What do you think of them?

California - I learned the hard way that many, many "ethical, local farms" who claim to treat animals well do not do so. Not saying all of them don't, but people tend to say what their consumers wish to hear. It is not always just factory farms who do this.

And I would rather cows become extinct instead of them being born to suffer immensely before an excruciating death. It has always bothered me that farm animals (many of them) only exist to be killed for consumption. They are a species with an expiration date, and awful living conditions. This saddens me.

It's easy to believe farmers when they say "happy cows come from California" and so on. But again, they just tell you what you want to hear. Factory farms especially (among others) are interested mainly in profit. It's cheaper to treat animals like crap and kill them in ways you can't imagine (long, slowly, painfully). Sadly their welfare is less important to them than a quick buck.

Was the 'hard way' watching some heartrending movie? I know the farmers I buy from. I pay more for my meat than I would in a store but I prefer to make that choice. Your way would mean the destruction of rural communities who rely on farming... it would mean that cows would be a species we see in zoos, not wandering in the field outside my house. No thanks. You're not saving animals, you're destroying them.

California - I learned the hard way that many, many "ethical, local farms" who claim to treat animals well do not do so. Not saying all of them don't, but people tend to say what their consumers wish to hear. It is not always just factory farms who do this.

And I would rather cows become extinct instead of them being born to suffer immensely before an excruciating death. It has always bothered me that farm animals (many of them) only exist to be killed for consumption. They are a species with an expiration date, and awful living conditions. This saddens me.

It's easy to believe farmers when they say "happy cows come from California" and so on. But again, they just tell you what you want to hear. Factory farms especially (among others) are interested mainly in profit. It's cheaper to treat animals like crap and kill them in ways you can't imagine (long, slowly, painfully). Sadly their welfare is less important to them than a quick buck.

I worked on a kill floor. The pigs and cows died instantly. They didn't suffer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently became vegan (for ethical reasons) and realized that it's much easier than I previously anticipated it would be. :) So that puts a smile on my face. I'm wondering what those who post here think of veganism.

And, if anyone has any questions about the lifestyle, feel free to ask! :D
Do you wear leather shoes? Have leather car interior? Have any leather products at all?

How about wearing cotton or linen? Those crops, as well as the land needed to cultivate vegetables are taken and destroyed as natural habitat.

@ California - Okay, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

@ Gallantwarrior - Yes, I do wear cotton. Just not things made with animal products. I've seen how they make leather and it's a very disturbing reality.

Last edited:
I recently became vegan (for ethical reasons) and realized that it's much easier than I previously anticipated it would be. :) So that puts a smile on my face. I'm wondering what those who post here think of veganism.

It doesn't hurt anyone so get on with how you want to live. :)

But it wasn't interference. It wasn't a rule. It wasn't a new guideline. It wasn't a decree. It wasn't anything like that.

It was a suggestion that they backed.

Didn't you read the link, or did you just make an assumption from the clipped part I posted?

Here, from the hated NY Times:

The message seemed innocuous enough, coming as it did from the federal agency tasked with promoting sustainable agriculture and dietary health: “One simple way to reduce your environmental impact while dining at our cafeterias,” read a United States Department of Agriculture interoffice newsletter published on its Web site this week, “is to participate in the ‘Meatless Monday’ initiative.”

Thousands of corporate cafeterias, restaurants and schools have embraced the idea of skipping meat on Mondays in favor of vegetarian options, an initiative of the nonprofit Monday Campaign Inc. and the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health.

“How will going meatless one day of the week help the environment?” it asked. “The production of meat, especially beef (and dairy as well), has a large environmental impact. According to the U.N., animal agriculture is a major source of greenhouse gases and climate change. It also wastes resources. It takes 7,000 kg of grain to make 1,000 kg of beef.”​
I know it was a suggestion. It was a suggestion by the GOVERNMENT that would influence the market.

:confused:

:eusa_doh:The suggestion by the GOVERNMENT that smoking is bad for you influenced the tobacco market, and now vastly reduced numbers of children do not smoke, and will not develop lung cancer in huge numbers.

Was that bad, too?

How many more examples would you like me to come up with?
Comparing eating meat with smoking tobacco? How does THAT work?

You don't want to eat meat, animal products or anything of the sort? Fine. You say I can't? Lucy, you gotsa problem.

^I never said anyone can't. Everyone has a choice and I'm not trying to shove my eating habits onto somebody else.

"I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables."
Rudy's BBQ T Shirt
A Texas based chain
God made me omnivorous for a reason, and the world, properly cooked and seasoned is pretty darn tasty.

The human body is a meat eater. Your mental opinion makes you want to be vegan.

I really don't care what you want to eat...or not to eat. I DO care when vegans or vegetarians INSIST they be accommodated.

I my opinion.... do what you want as an adult... but putting or having a child on that type of diet is child abuse.

^I never said anyone can't. Everyone has a choice and I'm not trying to shove my eating habits onto somebody else.
Then the answer stays the same. Fine. You go be vegan. More power to you. Try running guilt trips on me for having tasty tasty cow... yeah. loud unhappy words.

I feel the same way about vegans as I do about gays, anti-hunters, anti-gun people, anti-smokers, etc. I don't really care what your choices may be and I can leave you well enough alone. That is, until someone feels they have some kind of twisted "right" to force me to follow their choices. I have no problem if you don't want to eat meat, hunt, own a firearm, or smoke, etc.

My experience is, vegans who have made that choice for reasons of health are generally not as obnoxious about being vegan as those who make their choice for some philosophical ideology. For my part, I not only farm, I hunt for my meat. I rarely buy meat from the supermarket, my home-raised meat (mostly chevon right now) is healthy, happy, and very nutritious, not to mention fresh. I have fresh milk, home made cheese, yogurt, and kefir. Oh, yeah, I make a goat's milk soap that would likely put your vegan stuff to shame, but that's just me. You would not believe how delicious a freshly picked hen-fruit or a "range-raised" chicken tastes. I hunt wild game because that meat is also superior to store bought and I always know where it comes from and how it's processed. And I use the hides to make leather. I also raise many of the herbs and veggies I eat or I buy them from local producers.
I have made these choices because I like to eat healthy, nutritious foods...and for ideological reasons.

I am happy that you have found a lifestyle that pleases you and that you are able to find products that help you achieve the goals you set by choosing that lifestyle. Good luck. Just please remember, not all of us would make the choice you have.

You may not.... but "vegans" taken as a whole..... do indeed force their eating habits onto other.

Then the answer stays the same. Fine. You go be vegan. More power to you. Try running guilt trips on me for having tasty tasty cow... yeah. loud unhappy words.
porterhouse-230s.jpg

I feel the same way about vegans as I do about gays, anti-hunters, anti-gun people, anti-smokers, etc. I don't really care what your choices may be and I can leave you well enough alone. That is, until someone feels they have some kind of twisted "right" to force me to follow their choices. I have no problem if you don't want to eat meat, hunt, own a firearm, or smoke, etc.

My experience is, vegans who have made that choice for reasons of health are generally not as obnoxious about being vegan as those who make their choice for some philosophical ideology. For my part, I not only farm, I hunt for my meat. I rarely buy meat from the supermarket, my home-raised meat (mostly chevon right now) is healthy, happy, and very nutritious, not to mention fresh. I have fresh milk, home made cheese, yogurt, and kefir. Oh, yeah, I make a goat's milk soap that would likely put your vegan stuff to shame, but that's just me. You would not believe how delicious a freshly picked hen-fruit or a "range-raised" chicken tastes. I hunt wild game because that meat is also superior to store bought and I always know where it comes from and how it's processed. And I use the hides to make leather. I also raise many of the herbs and veggies I eat or I buy them from local producers.
I have made these choices because I like to eat healthy, nutritious foods...and for ideological reasons.

I am happy that you have found a lifestyle that pleases you and that you are able to find products that help you achieve the goals you set by choosing that lifestyle. Good luck. Just please remember, not all of us would make the choice you have.

Thanks for your mature and polite response :)

I know it was a suggestion. It was a suggestion by the GOVERNMENT that would influence the market.

:confused:

:eusa_doh:The suggestion by the GOVERNMENT that smoking is bad for you influenced the tobacco market, and now vastly reduced numbers of children do not smoke, and will not develop lung cancer in huge numbers.

Was that bad, too?

How many more examples would you like me to come up with?
Comparing eating meat with smoking tobacco? How does THAT work?

No, comparing suggestions by the GOVERNMENT that influence markets.

YOUR red herring, not mine. Care to continue with it? There are loads of examples.

:)

Forum List

Back