vegans charged with infants death

It seems to me that this article is somewhat misleading. The child supposedly died from a pneumonia like illness. Can anyone be certain that if the mother had eaten meat that the baby wouldn't have developed pneumonia? I think the issue should be less about the mother's diet and more about the parent's lack of common sense. Cabbage poultices? Really?

I prefer to err on the side of liberty. Others, including you seemingly, prefer to err on the side of authoritarianism (pitbull laws notwithstanding).

That said, the next new thing I learn today will be the first.
What liberty was there for the baby?

You have issues with authority. Grow up. Or I'll have the state intervene.

You're welcome to vote your conscience, I do.

You have a conscience!

Quelle surprise!

12 pounds? Are you kidding me? My son was at 12 pounds at a month or two.
I hope they lock them up and throw away the key.

I remember wondering if my son was eating enough when he was a baby, and he was chubby.

I can understand why anyone would feel that way. But I don't think these morons intended to kill their child. I think they must be suffering terribly and have had punishment enough. However they should be flagged as potential child abusers and a close eye kept on them in case they have other children.

wo vegans who fed their 11-month-old daughter only mother's milk went on trial in northern France on Tuesday charged with neglect after their baby died suffering from vitamin deficiency.

Sergine and Joel Le Moaligou, whose vegan diet forbids consuming any animal product including eggs and cow's milk, called the emergency services in March 2008 after becoming worried about their baby Louise's listlessness.

When the ambulance arrived at their home in Saint-Maulvis, a small village 150 kilometres (90 miles) north of Paris, the baby was already dead.

The ambulance workers called the police because the child was pale and thin, weighing 5.7 kilos (12.5 pounds) compared to an average eight kilos for her age.

The baby had only been fed on the milk of her mother, who was aged 37 at the time.

An autopsy showed that Louise was suffering from a vitamin A and B12 deficiency which experts say increases a child's sensitivity to infection and can be due to an unbalanced diet.

"The problem of vitamin B12 deficiency could be linked to the mother's diet," said Anne-Laure Sandretto, deputy prosecutor in the city of Amiens where the trial is taking place.

French vegans in dock over baby's death

how could the parents know the mother's milk was not giving all the vits needed?
it is not odd to breastfeed for the entire first year.

I'd say they should have noticed something earlier, or at least the doctor they were taking the kid to should have said something.

Aside from being idiots, there isn't a crime here in my eyes.

However, this is evidence, not proof, that the vegan diet is not a proper diet for people.

I am a vegetarian,not a vegan, big difference. Been one since I was 14 years old, and I'm healthier than most my friends my age.

That being said, when I was pregnant with Mini EZ, I read a LOT of books on proper nutrition on what was best for the baby inside me for a vegetarian.

After she was born I read all the baby books, and made sure she had the proper foods to keep her healthy. I cooked her meat as she grew older, and she ate meat until she ON HER OWN decided to become a vegetarian at age 13 and a half. I make sure she has the proper amount of protein and fruits and veggies, etc in her diet even now, at age 15.

My point is if you're going to have a child you need to be informed about what is best for THEM, and realize that a baby is not the same as a teen or adult's eating habits.

These folks were misinformed, or not well read, or just ignorant. I feel sorry for them, but mostly for that poor little baby, who had no say in the matter of the choices it's parents made. :(

o good gosh people lived on nothing but beans, corn and rice for a long damned time

That's not true, not at all.

Since the Stone age, meat has played a major role. When we found America, we here ate even more meat.

What was the result? We are about 2" taller than our countries of origine.
If it wasn't for all the crap that gets put in and on our food, I'd guess that we would still live longer.

o good gosh people lived on nothing but beans, corn and rice for a long damned time

That's not true, not at all.

Since the Stone age, meat has played a major role. When we found America, we here ate even more meat.

What was the result? We are about 2" taller than our countries of origine.
If it wasn't for all the crap that gets put in and on our food, I'd guess that we would still live longer.

A person can be very healthy on a vegan diet, they just have to really work at it. It requires knowledge of vitamin sources, and protien sources.

Just as a disclaimer, I am nowhere near a vegan/vegetarian.

A tragic story, but I don't see how anything positive can come out of sending the parents to prison.

The nature of punishment isn't to produce a "positive" outcome. It's to punish people who broke the law.

Anyone who is indifferent to the well being of their own child is dangerously self-absorbed and undoubtedly poses some sort of threat to everybody around them.

What did peeps do before formula?

They did breast-milk, of course. However thier diet was not limited by concious choice, but by whatever could be found. People also lost far more children in the first 2-3 years of life due to disease and malnutrition, because they simply didnt understand what we take as common knowledge today.

The deaths of children before the age of 5 was a common occourance just 100 years ago, with causes similar to what caused this child's death.

A tragic story, but I don't see how anything positive can come out of sending the parents to prison.

The nature of punishment isn't to produce a "positive" outcome. It's to punish people who broke the law.

Anyone who is indifferent to the well being of their own child is dangerously self-absorbed and undoubtedly poses some sort of threat to everybody around them.

So you think enforcement of laws is about punishing wrongdoers and not making the world a better, safer place?

Regardless, I think they're suffering ample punishment already.

So you think enforcement of laws is about punishing wrongdoers and not making the world a better, safer place?

Regardless, I think they're suffering ample punishment already.

I think law enforcement is a separate thing from sentencing.

The object of sentencing is to penalize people convicted of crime. It's also to keep society safe; but there's still no presumption of "positive outcome". There is no good outcome when someone has been murdered, particularly a child. And our penal system is not structured in such a way that requires criminal judgment to be based on whether or not someone will benefit from the judgment.

Forum List

Back