vegans charged with infants death

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
wo vegans who fed their 11-month-old daughter only mother's milk went on trial in northern France on Tuesday charged with neglect after their baby died suffering from vitamin deficiency.

Sergine and Joel Le Moaligou, whose vegan diet forbids consuming any animal product including eggs and cow's milk, called the emergency services in March 2008 after becoming worried about their baby Louise's listlessness.

When the ambulance arrived at their home in Saint-Maulvis, a small village 150 kilometres (90 miles) north of Paris, the baby was already dead.

The ambulance workers called the police because the child was pale and thin, weighing 5.7 kilos (12.5 pounds) compared to an average eight kilos for her age.

The baby had only been fed on the milk of her mother, who was aged 37 at the time.

An autopsy showed that Louise was suffering from a vitamin A and B12 deficiency which experts say increases a child's sensitivity to infection and can be due to an unbalanced diet.

"The problem of vitamin B12 deficiency could be linked to the mother's diet," said Anne-Laure Sandretto, deputy prosecutor in the city of Amiens where the trial is taking place.

French vegans in dock over baby's death

how could the parents know the mother's milk was not giving all the vits needed?
it is not odd to breastfeed for the entire first year.

wo vegans who fed their 11-month-old daughter only mother's milk went on trial in northern France on Tuesday charged with neglect after their baby died suffering from vitamin deficiency.

Sergine and Joel Le Moaligou, whose vegan diet forbids consuming any animal product including eggs and cow's milk, called the emergency services in March 2008 after becoming worried about their baby Louise's listlessness.

When the ambulance arrived at their home in Saint-Maulvis, a small village 150 kilometres (90 miles) north of Paris, the baby was already dead.

The ambulance workers called the police because the child was pale and thin, weighing 5.7 kilos (12.5 pounds) compared to an average eight kilos for her age.

The baby had only been fed on the milk of her mother, who was aged 37 at the time.

An autopsy showed that Louise was suffering from a vitamin A and B12 deficiency which experts say increases a child's sensitivity to infection and can be due to an unbalanced diet.

"The problem of vitamin B12 deficiency could be linked to the mother's diet," said Anne-Laure Sandretto, deputy prosecutor in the city of Amiens where the trial is taking place.

how could the parents know the mother's milk was not giving all the vits needed?

They didn't know and they probably never thought about it. They assumed a vegan diet was better for them; obviously not. I wonder why they didn't take supplements.

do all vegans take supplements?

the age of the mother kinda shocked me...36 ish .....the not gaining weight ....on the infants part...were there no well checks?

do all vegans take supplements?

the age of the mother kinda shocked me...36 ish .....the not gaining weight ....on the infants part...were there no well checks?

I don't know but they should. They're not getting all the nutrients when their diet is lacking in certain foods.

Yeah you'd think that the parents and/or docs would have noticed the lack of growth.

The most damning thing from a legal perspective is the fact they were told by medical staff that there were issues with the way they were feeding the child.

Things like this are troubling to me, as you see an interest in the state of protecting children, but there is also the interest of the parents in raising thier own children the way they want to.

There was no malice on the parents part, as they did take actions to correct the problems with the child. The actions were just not sufficent.

A tragic story, but I don't see how anything positive can come out of sending the parents to prison.

Perhaps the state should be prosecuted for not acting sooner on behalf of the baby.

Three comments:

1. Why weren't the parents vitamin deficient?
2. I expect more from a creator: Why are humans so fucking fragile that they die at 1 year of age if their mother dosen't eat a few eggs.
3. French law is somewhat Napoleonic in that the guilty must prove they are innocent. Otherwise there would be no prosecution of this case.

I don't believe we 'the people' would derive enough benefit to justify surrendering what's left of parental autonomy to the state. Tragedies like this are the exception.

I don't believe we 'the people' would derive enough benefit to justify surrendering what's left of parental autonomy to the state. Tragedies like this are the exception.
I disaggree. I think that "we the people" and certainly the baby itself would have benefited from intercesion on it's behalf. If it was clear to the doctors that the child's health was seriously compromised by the mother's milk only diet, the state should have intervened. Whatever "parental autonomy" is, if it means you can starve a child to death, we need less and less of it.

This is clearly a case of what was best for the child is what was called for. Children are not property, they are a responsabilty.

I disaggree. I think that "we the people" and certainly the baby itself would have benefited from intercesion on it's behalf. If it was clear to the doctors that the child's health was seriously compromised by the mother's milk only diet, the state should have intervened. Whatever "parental autonomy" is, if it means you can starve a child to death, we need less and less of it.

This is clearly a case of what was best for the child is what was called for. Children are not property, they are a responsabilty.

I prefer to err on the side of liberty. Others, including you seemingly, prefer to err on the side of authoritarianism (pitbull laws notwithstanding).

That said, the next new thing I learn today will be the first.

I prefer to err on the side of liberty. Others, including you seemingly, prefer to err on the side of authoritarianism (pitbull laws notwithstanding).

What liberty was there for the baby?

You have issues with authority. Grow up. Or I'll have the state intervene.

What liberty was there for the baby?

You have issues with authority. Grow up. Or I'll have the state intervene.

You're welcome to vote your conscience, I do.

This is a sad story, however this point makes me wonder.

"The couple did not follow the doctor's advice to take the baby to hospital when they went for her nine-month checkup and found she was suffering from bronchitis and was losing weight," he said. Instead they treated her with cabbage poultices, mustard and camphor and washed her with earth and clay instead of giving her baths, the court heard

I don't think the couple was purposely neglectful, but I also think not taking the baby to the hospital was irresponsible. So, I think I don't have a problem with the fact that they were only feeding the baby the mother's milk, but I do have an issue with the fact that they did not allow their daughter to get proper treatment when she was obviously ill.

12 pounds? Are you kidding me? My son was at 12 pounds at a month or two.
I hope they lock them up and throw away the key.

I remember wondering if my son was eating enough when he was a baby, and he was chubby.

Forum List

Back