Veganism, and the Politics of Purity.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
The rise of militant veganism reflects our misanthropic age.

The modern-day cult of veganism has been making its mark again. On Tuesday, it was reported that a family butchers in Kent has been threatened with petrol bombs in a campaign of intimidation by animal-rights activists. Demonstrators have been spraying ‘Stop Killing Animals. Go Vegan’ and daubing the logo of the Animal Liberation Front on the front of Marlow Butchers in Ashford.

The business has received dozens of threats, with one reading: ‘Chopping up the corpses of innocent animals and using their flesh for food is barbaric.’ This is no isolated incident. Attacks by vegan activists on small businesses are on the rise, according to the Countryside Alliance.

Elsewhere we read that ‘influencer’ vegan chefs and social-media stars, such as Ella Woodward and Stella Rae, have been bullied online by fundamentalist vegans who demand ‘perfect veganism’. Woodward’s ‘dirty’ transgression, for instance, has been to offer non-vegan food at her new restaurant, while the activist and chef Jack Monroe has been abused for letting her eight-year-old son cook a sausage casserole. When a photo of a paella dish from one of Monroe’s old cookbooks was posted online, Monroe’s Facebook page was ‘flooded with death threats and harassment within minutes’, according to Monroe.

Veganism and the politics of purity

• Banned
^^ Perfect veganism’s demand for unswerving adherence to a belief system is fitting for an age in which the middle, in which the grey areas of doubt, ambiguity and non-committal reflection, are vanishing. Perfect veganism is perfect for an era of religious and political extremism, of polarised judgements, in which everyone is completely spot on or utterly wrong, everything terrible or brilliant. Perfect veganism is perfect for an age of competitive moralising, for people who deem themselves better than vegans, who themselves are better than vegetarians, who are in turn superior to us wishy-washy pescetarians. At the bottom sit omnivores. Scum. Sub-human scum.

Ours is a time of righteous intolerance and indignation, a mood that finds a natural home in perfect veganism, as the opening story about the butchers in Kent tells us. Those vegan ‘influencers’ who have dared to sit in the middle, to be liberal, to have the temerity to allow others to eat meat, have indeed been subject to online vitriol; online hatred will be deemed the defining phenomenon of the 2010s.

Online hatred reflects an age of envy and malice, in which people feel they can spew nastiness towards fellow humans just because they have right on their side. Or even worse: when they have right and compassion on their side. This is why those with the most ostentatiously caring politics are the most spiteful and rancorous when it comes to online discourse. This is how animal-rights campaigners and perfect vegans justify their intemperate behaviour: because they care more than you.

Come touch my cow or chickens and i will blow your hand off

In the US, they would be seen well before they could do anything. Yeah, y'all go 'head and "rescue" that ornery bull in the front 10. :auiqs.jpg:

Was this thread inspired by Mindful's visitor?

YOU are MINDLESS: illogical, petty and comical as well. NOBODY is taking your stupid comments seriously by replying how they cannot be taken seriously. Take a writing and reading class and learn to express yourself as an adult. Then maybe the grown people would perhaps consider your threads. You are ripe for mockery. URA Dumb Ass.

YOU are MINDLESS: illogical, petty and comical as well. NOBODY is taking your stupid comments seriously by replying how they cannot be taken seriously. Take a writing and reading class and learn to express yourself as an adult. Then maybe the grown people would perhaps consider your threads. You are ripe for mockery. URA Dumb Ass.

Smelly sock, smelllllly sockkkkkk. what are they feeding you?

Sung to this tune:

Smelly Cat — Phoebe Buffay | Last.fm

In the US, they would be seen well before they could do anything. Yeah, y'all go 'head and "rescue" that ornery bull in the front 10. :auiqs.jpg:

I doubt they will mess with the bull in the front 10. More likely they will try for the 50 steers in the 2 acre feedlot.

I doubt they will mess with the bull in the front 10. More likely they will try for the 50 steers in the 2 acre feedlot.

Good way to get hurt. Them cows don't know ya.

A few years ago I might have agreed with this thread, but now I know better. The “militant“ angry misanthropic vegans are only a tiny fraction of all vegans.

I’d say that 99% of the vegans I’ve encountered are for nonviolence, peace, kindness and respect for all living beings... which includes human beings. Do they get angry at times? Absolutely. In my view, this world is so messed up, corrupt and selfish… That anyone who doesn’t get angry from time to time isn’t paying attention.

I think it really comes down to having a passion for justice and an end to the horrible exploitation and cruelty toward animals. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, the apathy is what the problem is. Not the people who care.

A few years ago I might have agreed with this thread, but now I know better. The “militant“ angry misanthropic vegans are only a tiny fraction of all vegans.

I’d say that 99% of the vegans I’ve encountered are for nonviolence, peace, kindness and respect for all living beings... which includes human beings. Do they get angry at times? Absolutely. In my view, this world is so messed up, corrupt and selfish… That anyone who doesn’t get angry from time to time isn’t paying attention.

I think it really comes down to having a passion for justice and an end to the horrible exploitation and cruelty toward animals. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, the apathy is what the problem is. Not the people who care.

I went vegan for a year and a half. If I could get 4000 good daily calories between cuts and gains without all of the inconvenience of it, I'd likely go back to it.

Plus the gas. Gosh.

I went vegan for a year and a half. If I could get 4000 good daily calories between cuts and gains without all of the inconvenience of it, I'd likely go back to it.

Plus the gas. Gosh.

You can definitely get 4000 cal on a plant-based diet! What a lot of people may not realize is that in the last few years, a lot of athletes and bodybuilders are going vegan. There are lots of videos on YouTube, just look up bulking on a vegan diet. Here’s one… just to get some ideas. You can fast forward through the chitchat parts.

As for your other problem…:tongue: I don’t know what you were eating, but I do know that when people change their diet and start eating a lot more veggies, that sometimes happens at the beginning. Maybe your body just needed to get used to eating a lot more veggies? Maybe it was something in particular that didn’t sit well with you? I don’t know. But I hope you don’t give up on it. I think you can get much better muscle gain on a clean, healthy diet and without all that bad energy, if you know what I mean.

:2cents:

Plus the gas. Gosh.

You can definitely get 4000 cal on a plant-based diet! What a lot of people may not realize is that in the last few years, a lot of athletes and bodybuilders are going vegan. There are lots of videos on YouTube, just look up bulking on a vegan diet. Here’s one… just to get some ideas. You can fast forward through the chitchat parts.

As for your other problem…:tongue: I don’t know what you were eating, but I do know that when people change their diet and start eating a lot more veggies, that sometimes happens at the beginning. Maybe your body just needed to get used to eating a lot more veggies? Maybe it was something in particular that didn’t sit well with you? I don’t know. But I hope you don’t give up on it. I think you can get much better muscle gain on a clean, healthy diet and without all that bad energy, if you know what I mean.

:2cents:

Well, I asked my other half to figure out a 4000 calorie non-meat diet divided by 6 meals since she's a vegan, but she never did. She's kind of a slacker.

Maybe I can kick her to the curb and you can help me out?

New Topics

Forum List

Back