VAT and "Here We Go"

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
"Not one dime on those making under $250k per year...."

Pelosi says new tax is 'on the table' - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Pelosi says new tax is 'on the table'
By Michael O'Brien - 10/06/09 10:59 AM ET
A new value-added tax (VAT) is "on the table" to help the U.S. address its fiscal liabilities, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Monday night.

Pelosi, appearing on PBS's "The Charlie Rose Show" asserted that "it's fair to look at" the VAT as part of an overhaul of the nation's tax code.

"I would say, Put everything on the table and subject it to the scrutiny that it deserves," Pelosi told Rose when asked if the VAT has any appeal to her.

The VAT is a tax on manufacturers at each stage of production on the amount of value an additional producer adds to a product. and we all know who pays for those added costs...

Pelosi argued that the VAT would level the playing field between U.S. and foreign manufacturers, the latter of which do not have pension and healthcare costs included in the price of their goods because their governments provide those services, financed by similar taxes.

"They get a tax off of that and they use that money to pay the healthcare for their own workers," Pelosi said, using the example of auto manufacturers. "So their cars coming into our country don't have a healthcare component cost.

"Somewhere along the way, a value-added tax plays into this. Of course, we want to take down the healthcare cost, that's one part of it," the Speaker added. "But in the scheme of things, I think it's fair look at a value- added tax as well."

Pelosi said that any new taxes would come after the Congress finishes the healthcare debate consuming most lawmakers' time, and that it may come as part of a larger overhaul to the tax code.

The Speaker also emphasized that any reworking of the tax code would not result in an increase in taxes on middle-class Americans.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I guess Pelosi assumes that middle class taxpayers won't be purchasing any of those products that were hit with a VAT.

A new value-added tax (VAT) is "on the table" to help the U.S. address its fiscal liabilities, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Monday night.

Pelosi, appearing on PBS's "The Charlie Rose Show" asserted that "it's fair to look at" the VAT as part of an overhaul of the nation's tax code.

"I would say, Put everything on the table and subject it to the scrutiny that it deserves," Pelosi told Rose when asked if the VAT has any appeal to her.

The VAT is a tax on manufacturers at each stage of production on the amount of value an additional producer adds to a product. and we all know who pays for those added costs...

Pelosi argued that the VAT would level the playing field between U.S. and foreign manufacturers, the latter of which do not have pension and healthcare costs included in the price of their goods because their governments provide those services, financed by similar taxes.

"They get a tax off of that and they use that money to pay the healthcare for their own workers," Pelosi said, using the example of auto manufacturers. "So their cars coming into our country don't have a healthcare component cost.

"Somewhere along the way, a value-added tax plays into this. Of course, we want to take down the healthcare cost, that's one part of it," the Speaker added. "But in the scheme of things, I think it's fair look at a value- added tax as well."

Pelosi said that any new taxes would come after the Congress finishes the healthcare debate consuming most lawmakers' time, and that it may come as part of a larger overhaul to the tax code.

The Speaker also emphasized that any reworking of the tax code would not result in an increase in taxes on middle-class Americans.

Pelosi says a lot of things that don't automatically translate into policy. If you think health care was long and drawn out, wait until an overhaul to the tax code is introduced. So I wouldn't hit the panic button yet. But of course you and your ilk will have this all signed, sealed, and delivered by--guessing--next weekend, and it will be all over the Internet as gospel truth.

I guess Pelosi assumes that middle class taxpayers won't be purchasing any of those products that were hit with a VAT.

All products would be VAT. No escape and no ability to separate tax from costs.

Pelosi says a lot of things that don't automatically translate into policy. If you think health care was long and drawn out, wait until an overhaul to the tax code is introduced. So I wouldn't hit the panic button yet. But of course you and your ilk will have this all signed, sealed, and delivered by--guessing--next weekend, and it will be all over the Internet as gospel truth.

Maggie, would you want a VAT?

Well how else are we gonna' pay for all the programs they said we wouldn't have to pay for?

Are some of you starting to understand the concept of "limited government" yet?

All products would be VAT. No escape and no ability to separate tax from costs.

You mean like tobacco and alcohol?

Probably, not that they've not already been hit umpteenth times in the past 9 months! But who cares, those who buy those products deserve it, right?

The fact it has been put on the table is a sign of something to come that will not be good. Just like this healthcare reform crap they are getting their foot in the door. I cannot believe the continuing arrogance from our government. Just how much are they going to continue to push the people before the protests getting larger and louder and people finally challenge the system by refusing to abide by it?

Last edited:

The fact it has been put on the table is a sign of something to come that will not be good. Just like this healthcare reform crap they are getting their foot in the door. I cannot believe the continuing arrogance from our government. Just how much are they going to continue to push the people before the protests getting larger and louder and people finally challenge the system by refusing to abide by it?
Some of us already are.

LMAO. Such suckers we are.

Not me, I didn't vote for him. Is this a confession on your part? :eusa_eh:
LOL. Not a soul on Earth knows who won my vote. But, as I am more loyal to our system of government, I accept the President and the Dems as the ruling party. Thus my use of 'we'. "We the People" elected him and those critters in Congress.

I'll second what you said. I really loathe what Obama is ruling as, nevertheless, he was elected, fairly. Does that mean there wasn't fraud by ACORN and other 'community activist groups'? No. It was there and insignificant regarding the election outcome, though not the election itself. They need to be held accountable, I've some hope they will be.

Not me, I didn't vote for him. Is this a confession on your part? :eusa_eh:
LOL. Not a soul on Earth knows who won my vote. But, as I am more loyal to our system of government, I accept the President and the Dems as the ruling party. Thus my use of 'we'. "We the People" elected him and those critters in Congress.

I'll second what you said. I really loathe what Obama is ruling as, nevertheless, he was elected, fairly. Does that mean there wasn't fraud by ACORN and other 'community activist groups'? No. It was there and insignificant regarding the election outcome, though not the election itself. They need to be held accountable, I've some hope they will be.

I'm not so sure about the fairly part. Not at all. ACORN. Spoils the "elected fairly" part for me. And I'm not so sure about the insignificant part either. It doesn't make sense to me that they would work that hard to "register" millions of voters without a payday in mind.

Forum List

Back