Vanity Fair Review of the Movie "Widows"

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
Vanity Fair calls that film an "elegant and incisive thriller". There is nothing in this movie that is incisive or thrilling.

The characters act in ways that are not only illogical but are downright stupid. I understand Viola Davis had a loud voice in the direction of the movie. This is unfortunate; I like her gravity and the passion she brings to the roles she plays. In this movie, however, the story is a complete mess.

For those who haven't seen it, I won't spoil the outcome to the plot which is full of holes. I don't think I'm giving too much away when I tell you that the husbands of the "widows" are killed and their widows are forced to complete their last planned heist as a way of self-preservation. The ring-leader of the men who died is married to Davis. As the de-facto head of the widows, she is able to cajole the rest of the women into pulling off the crime with the flimsiest threat of coercion. In fact, one of the widows has the opportunity to leave the country and live a life of comfort but, for some inexplicable reason, she decides to stay and help these total strangers (Davis and Michelle Rodriguez) pull off a dangerous heist.

Wait for basic cable on this one.

Never heard of it. Seems like lots of gun violence, and women being subjects of their husbands’ patriarchy. I’m surprised you would even want to see it.

Forum List

Back