Van Lear Rose

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
I know this CD has been out for some time, so you'll have to excuse me because I just came across it today. I have heard "this old house" (which I really liked) already, but that's it. Anyway, this is one of the BEST Loretta Lynn albums EVER. She teams up with Jack White from the White Stripes and it's so good, I'm just gonna let you read the write up in Rolling Stone.

Has anyone else heard it? I have no idea where it's been hiding, but its fan-freekin-tastic!

No matter who you are, one thing is for sure: You ain't woman enough to take Loretta Lynn's man. Miss Loretta has been a country legend for more than forty years, but she still sings with all the passion of the blue Kentucky girl who busted out of Butcher Hollow, the coal miner's daughter who got married at thirteen and fought her way to fame. She's always had the toughest, meanest, fiercest, warmest and sexiest voice in country music. But on her fantastic Van Lear Rose, she's got a new man named Jack White, the mastermind of the White Stripes, and together they deliver the answer to her fans' prayers: a classic Loretta Lynn album. There's no Nashville glitz, no crossover schlock -- as the lady used to sing, you're lookin' at country.

Scroll to the end and you can listen to it - you have to registe though.
http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/.../van_lear_rose

Jack White Produces Loretta Lynn

White Stripes frontman Jack White has produced an album for country legend Loretta Lynn.

The sessions took place last June in Nashville to very little fanfare. "After my manager gave me The White Stripes album that they dedicated to me, we became fast friends" Lynn says at her website. "I love both Jack and Meg. They came out to the ranch for a visit and I cooked homemade bread and chicken n' dumplings. We did a show together in New York City and soon after, me and Jack got in the studio. We recorded it last June and September in Nashville and had such a great time making it. I tell you that Jack White is quite a producer".

The album is called Van Lear Rose. "It's called Van Lear Rose, which is named after a song about my Mommy that's on the album. There's 13 songs and I wrote 'em all" she says.

So will this be a rock album for Loretta or a country album for White? "This album sounds a little different from my other ones" she says. "You've got to have an open mind 'cause some of these songs have a rock 'n roll sound and the rest are just pure country. I've always thought that a song can bring people together".

The album will be released by Universal on May 3.

http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2004/apr04/20040407_jackwhite.html

Forum List

Back