Vampires Have Been Getting A Bum Rap. What Changed That?

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
One of the top movies in theaters today is about Vampires and Werewolves. The studio photo being used to sell the film to the public looks like they're trying to sell hairspray....not a film. Two gorgeous guys, one a Vampire, the other a Werewolf with a cute little chick sandwiched between them.

Anyone see the sexual connotations this image implies.

Here's another photo that makes it look like a soap opera.

new-moon-movie-review-250.jpg

It used to be Vampires were evil smelly blood-suckers. Now they're going to high school and dating.

HBO has a top-rated series that I myself enjoy called Trueblood. Anyone who's been awake while watching HBO knows what it's about.

Anyone care to enlighten me on where this change has come from?

5726079.jpg

Well I'm gonna offer something up and see what kind of discussion it generates....if any.

I think Hollywood in all it's wisdom had decided to stear towards the unthinkable or taboos that 20 years ago would have never been considered.

The embodiment of evil is now acceptable in today's society.

I know that right now Vampires and Werewolves are a goldmine but religious based films are the taboo it seems.

I'm not knocking it so much as I've just noticed the decline in morals in this country. This is merely an observation.

The movie industry today is aimed at 2 sets of audiences, children and young people so almost every movie has that in mind.

Most young people 'rebel' in some way against what they consider socialital norms, a good way is to identify with something their parents would not like, say an undead creature that lives to kill, as long as you make them young and hip looking.

The vampire in love with Bella in Twilight would not know what real evil is if it bit him on his immortal undead ass.

He is evil lite. (Bella is pretty boring too, I blame the state of pop music and too much perservatives in the food.)

I was hoping the Miltonian Lestat would crash the film and teach our vapid vampire what it means to transcend good and evil and revel in one's fate in the universe, with a sense of humor too.

But it was not to be.

Instead Twilight is Hanna Montana meets a boring blood sucker.

Probably the real answer is the Twilight series of books. Written at about 5th grade reading level, it was quick and easy for kids of all age groups. I haven't read any, but I know teens that were addicted. It was as much of a sensation as the Harry Potter books.

But from an adult perspective: Necks are sexy and necking is fun. In fact with all this teen sex going on, just "making out" seemed to have gone out of fashion. It's great that it's making a comeback IMHO.

One of the top movies in theaters today is about Vampires and Werewolves. The studio photo being used to sell the film to the public looks like they're trying to sell hairspray....not a film. Two gorgeous guys, one a Vampire, the other a Werewolf with a cute little chick sandwiched between them.

Anyone see the sexual connotations this image implies.

Here's another photo that makes it look like a soap opera.

new-moon-movie-review-250.jpg

It used to be Vampires were evil smelly blood-suckers. Now they're going to high school and dating.

HBO has a top-rated series that I myself enjoy called Trueblood. Anyone who's been awake while watching HBO knows what it's about.

Anyone care to enlighten me on where this change has come from?

5726079.jpg

Like any group of degenerates in society with more money than the average citizenry.... Vamps are using pop culture and the media to promote a healthy view of their lifestyle before asking the politicians to 'legalize' their eating habits.

Have you not seen 'Two and a Half Men'?

I vote we make a hybrid of 'Salems Lot and Twilight.

My bet would be those glittery-wannabe-prepubescent vampires would make a tasty snack.

2692434672_b347e54c0a.jpg

The sexualization of vampires is pretty obvious in this series.

first_look_true_blood_season_2_poster_true_blood.jpg

I don't know how many girls have told me they just love Eric!!!!!

He's just gorgeous. [sarcasm intended]

3724990568_9ca63830f4.jpg

Personally....I think Eric sucks......

Forum List

Back