Valedictorian gives commencement speech in Spanish

Perhaps the whole problem is that schools are allowed to teach foreign languages? But, if we dropped the foreign language programs soon some smart alec kid would give the commencement speech in geometryese or worse physical edese.

If you had a valedictorian give a speech in Russian to a predominently hisipanic student body, there would be a riot in the school.

yes, becasue having a common tongue is like stupid or something....:rolleyes:

Having a common language does not mean you attempt to bar the speaking of other languages.

oh I see, so inclusiveness is only at work when YOU to construct it according to YOUR view...got it. ....

and the rest of my post? or is that to much for you to handle?

The rest of your post?

You mean the smilie? :confused:

Anyone who gives a shit about this is either retarded, a partisan fraud, or mad racist.

Fact, not opinion.

Anyone who gives a shit about this is either retarded, a partisan fraud, or mad racist.

Fact, not opinion.

Where do you get 'racist'?

I'm not surprised you can't even try to answer.

Last edited:
38% Spanish. What of the other 62% that were left clueless to the address? They didn't earn a right to understand an address at THEIR graduation?

I'll care about the point you bring up with 62% of the people at graduation can actually recall the valedictorian speech a few hours after graduation.

If the valedictorian makes a choice to give their speech in Klingon, that's fine. They earned that right through 4 years of incredibly hard work. In addition, it isn't like there will be a short coming of speeches. My graduation had the Valedictorian, Salutatorian, Class President, Principal, Superintendent, a designated local Clergy, etc.

As much as conservatives would like it, we have no official language. The kid earned valedictorian and in this country is free to give his address in the language of his choice

I disagree. The graduation ceremony is attended by many family members and the for those who graduate it is a special day. The student should take the audience into consideration. That is why speeches are previewed. Perhaps if there is a high percentage of hispanic students with family members who know only Spanish, then perhaps one of several speakers could deliver a speech in Spanish.

As Spock would say "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

then why are there rich people?

What more do you want? The kid earned the right to address his fellow students, he earned the right to say damn near anything he wanted. He chose to do it in Spanish. He wanted to do it in both English and Spanish, he was told there would not be enough time, he chose Spanish. He made the grades, he earned his place, he made the choice.

Forgive me if I am not bothered by his choice. Forgive me if I am not bothered by his taking advantage of one of the greatest freedoms our country provides. Freedom of choice.

There are bigger things in this country to worry about than a high school graduate's decision to give his valedictorian speech in Spanish.

Rather than make an issue of his choice, we should applaud his achievement and the fact that he probably go on to college and become a responsible, contributing member of society.

^^^^This :clap2:

Forum List

Back